Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Guidance Please

So my contract is done at the end of Nov (Black Friday IIRC), current carrier (Telus) hasn't offered any incentive to stay with them and I pay ~$150/ mo for an Iphone 8 with 20 gig shareable (with my daughter) and unlimited talk & text. I'll be wanting a new phone (for the daughter) and like the coverage area for Telus.

So what is out in the market that can meet these needs and save a few bucks? Want the new phone to be Apple (X or higher) and can live with less data.

Please get back with what you have found...I hate calling the providers as they can turn up the pressure fast and comparison shopping is impossible.

TIA for your replies
Zeke
Old 11-29-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Anyone who has Shaw Internet or TV will want to check out their new offering. Effectively you get a free cell service with an, call display etc. . If you want data you can buy it for 10 bucks a gig, good for 90 days, rebuy when u run out or after 90 days. If you use lots of data you can get the free phone service, voice mail call display etc plus 25 gigs of data for 45 bucks a month. We just switched my wife's phone. She uses a max of 200 MB of data a month, some months only 50 MBs. The switch will save 800 bucks a year vs her 5 GB Kodoo plan, which was pretty much the cheapest if u wanted data. Best cell deal I have ever seen in Canada.
Couldn’t resist their new offering.

If you check your internet option you may have it or won’t cost more to get the fibre plus package.

If you have fibre then the cost for unlimited data cell phone plan is only $25/month

Free talk and text.

Data is 4G up to 25 Gig and then 3G speed after.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2020, 12:19 PM

Yes, we are very happy with the switch. Two and a half months and so far she hasn't had to ever buy any data. That means we are up $150 bucks so far. Pretty much just uses the phone and text, and if she is on it for other stuff there is WIFI for it to run off of because we don't fool with the phone while driving. Even her location sharing still works fine with no data package. She doesn't stray far from the large city or major highways so has never had any issues with phone reception. We took a Rogers phone hunting with us this year, same coverage as Shaw, and had no issues anywhere we went. If Kodoo had service so did the Rogers and vice versa.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Watching this thread closely. 3 older kids with phones and my wife and I adds up. Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 12-28-2020, 10:55 AM

So, went through the Christmas season, did some highway travel, Shaw phone still working great. With all the free Shaw wifi spots she still has not had to buy any data. The fiber and high speed internet also works perfectly. The Blue curve tv stream netflix much better than the old internet connection.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:35 AM

This thread got me going to see the people at Shaw. One of the first things I noticed was the great rates when you call one Shaw subscriber to another. Not so good when you are dealing with another carrier. I didn't even ask about the data plans.

I just walked out.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-28-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
This thread got me going to see the people at Shaw. One of the first things I noticed was the great rates when you call one Shaw subscriber to another. Not so good when you are dealing with another carrier. I didn't even ask about the data plans.

I just walked out.

Really not following your reasoning here. The plan is unlimited text and calling Canada wide at no charge to any landline or cell phone, regardless of who the person receiving deals with. Were you expecting them to pay you for the texts and calls?
Old 12-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
So my contract is done at the end of Nov (Black Friday IIRC), current carrier (Telus) hasn't offered any incentive to stay with them and I pay ~$150/ mo for an Iphone 8 with 20 gig shareable (with my daughter) and unlimited talk & text. I'll be wanting a new phone (for the daughter) and like the coverage area for Telus.

So what is out in the market that can meet these needs and save a few bucks? Want the new phone to be Apple (X or higher) and can live with less data.

Please get back with what you have found...I hate calling the providers as they can turn up the pressure fast and comparison shopping is impossible.

TIA for your replies
Zeke
Try Virgin mobile. they use Telus towers and usually offer much better plans than Telus
Old 12-28-2020, 11:59 AM

I am the guy that does NOT needs to google stuff on my phone while away from home .
So I opt out of buying any data.
$15.00 month gets me 500 min of talking and unlimited texting.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Really not following your reasoning here. The plan is unlimited text and calling Canada wide at no charge to any landline or cell phone, regardless of who the person receiving deals with. Were you expecting them to pay you for the texts and calls?
Not at all. What I didn't expect was that to get any benefit on a call it has to be from a Shaw user (me) to another Shaw user. If it was to a Telus user then the big benefits I was expecting were not there as most of my friends were on Telus.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I am the guy that does NOT needs to google stuff on my phone while away from home .
So I opt out of buying any data.
$15.00 month gets me 500 min of talking and unlimited texting.
I actually run the Public $15 plan as the 'house' phone at the cabin. All the third parties have great minimal plans.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Not at all. What I didn't expect was that to get any benefit on a call it has to be from a Shaw user (me) to another Shaw user. If it was to a Telus user then the big benefits I was expecting were not there as most of my friends were on Telus.

All I can say is I think you must have misunderstood something or interpreted it wrong. Like I have said a few times, unlimited Canada wide text and call is free with Shaw. All you pay for is Data and if you don't need data there is no charge at all. It doesn't matter if the person you are calling is with Telus, Rogers, Bell or anyone else.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:12 AM

WE moved here just over a month ago. Unfortunately, we had to get Shaw TV. When we heard about the great deals we drove the 75 km (one way) to the closest Shaw outlet. We were told by the female selling everything except satisfaction, that the deal was Shaw to Shaw. I wasn't about to stand there and debate it with her, she had the forms and plans in front of her and I was just going by hearsay.

I am not going to get into a pizzn contest with you. That is what I was told and sadly I am not going to drive any more than the 75 km to get home on the off chance that some other outlet will give me a better deal.

If I had more options I would not have anything to do with Shaw.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
WE moved here just over a month ago. Unfortunately, we had to get Shaw TV. When we heard about the great deals we drove the 75 km (one way) to the closest Shaw outlet. We were told by the female selling everything except satisfaction, that the deal was Shaw to Shaw. I wasn't about to stand there and debate it with her, she had the forms and plans in front of her and I was just going by hearsay.

I am not going to get into a pizzn contest with you. That is what I was told and sadly I am not going to drive any more than the 75 km to get home on the off chance that some other outlet will give me a better deal.

If I had more options I would not have anything to do with Shaw.

Not looking for a ****ing contest either, I was just trying to help. If you heard and interpreted what she said correctly then she is plain and simply wrong. There are a LOT of really crappy employees that know next to nothing about the products they are selling. I always do all my own research. If you don't know enough about the things your are buying you are likely to be very unhappy with many outcomes. I only trust sales people once I have dealt with them a few times and know for sure they know what they are talking about. Guys like Bob at McBains are the rare exceptions, not the norm.

If you don't want to pursue it, no problem but I would not like others to be put off by your incorrect info. This is straight off the Shaw site, small print on their $0 talk and text in red, conditions for the rest of their plans in case someone is interested.

Quote:
1. Unlimited Plans
Speeds reduced beyond 25GB fast LTE data. Shaw Fibre+ Internet customers are eligible to receive a $40 discount per month on the $85 Unlimited and $95 Unlimited + U.S. & Mexico plans. Auto Payment and approved credit required. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Taxes, government fees and pay-per-use charges are extra. A Shaw Internet bundle discount is available on up to a total 6 lines, based off approved credit. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy.
2. $0 By The Gig
Shaw Fibre+ Internet customers are eligible to receive a $15 credit per month on the $15 By The Gig plan. Auto payment and approved credit required. A Shaw Internet bundle discount is available on up to a total 6 lines, based off approved credit. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. You may purchase By The Gig Data one-time passes $10 per 1GB, valid for up to 90 days, which can be used on the Shaw or Nationwide Networks. Pay-per-use, one-time passes and additional add-on charges are extra and may change with notice. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy.
3. MyTab monthly payment required.
Savings based on outright device purchase price. MyTab monthly payment required for 24 months. Conditions apply. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Taxes, government fees and pay-per-use charges are extra. Early cancellation fees apply.
All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy.
4. Applicable taxes and government levies extra.
5. Auto Payment
This plan requires Auto Payment otherwise an additional $5/month charge will be applied for each month the pre-authorized payment (Auto Payment) is not activated on your account. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, Internet Traffic Management Policy, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy.
6. Unlimited Plans Data Policy
Shaw Mobile’s Unlimited data plans include 25GB of Fast LTE data on the Shaw Network, as well as 2GB data on the Shaw Nationwide Network, or Shaw Nationwide + U.S. & Mexico if subscribed to Unlimited + U.S. & Mexico. When using your plan’s included data allotment, you can expect 4G LTE data speeds of up to 50 Mbps. Once your allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Shaw Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Nationwide Network. While roaming in the U.S. or Mexico on the Unlimited + U.S. & Mexico your data access will be halted after 2GB unless additional One-Time Passes are purchased. Additional details can be found in the Fair Usage Policy.
We will send you a text message notifying you when you have used 70% and 100% of the allotment included in your plan, at which point you may choose to purchase more data to your plan. In all cases, usage is subject to the Shaw Mobile Terms of Service and Fair Usage Policy.
7. Unlimited Talk & Text
All plans include unlimited incoming talk & outgoing Canada-wide talk from the Shaw or Nationwide Networks to Canadian phone numbers. All plans also include unlimited global text, picture, and video messaging when connected to the Shaw or Nationwide Networks.
Unlimited + U.S. & Mexico includes unlimited incoming talk & text and unlimited outgoing talk & text to Canadian, U.S. & Mexico numbers while in Canada (on the Shaw or Nationwide Networks) and, while in the U.S., to the U.S. and back to Canada, or, in Mexico, to Mexico or back to Canada. Additional pay-per-use and long distance charges may apply. For example, while roaming in the U.S., calls and text messages to Mexico will incur additional long-distance and pay-per-use charges, respectively.
8. Pay Per Use, One-Time Passes and Add-On Charges
Pay Per Use, One-Time Passes and Add-On charges are extra and subject to change.
9. Shaw Go WiFi
Shaw Mobile customers get exclusive access to over 450,000 WiFi hotspots across Western Canada.
10. Discount
Based on an eligible Internet and mobile bundle plan from Shaw compared to a mobile-only plan. Speeds reduced beyond 25GB fast LTE data. Auto payment and approved credit required. Conditions apply.
11. Connection fee
A one-time connection fee of $20 applies to each new line activation or hardware upgrade.
12. Eligibility
Eligible customers must be subscribed to an eligible Shaw Internet plan and reside within the Shaw wireless coverage area. For more coverage information see shawmobile.ca/coverage. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy. 
13. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service, Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy. 
14. Speeds reduced beyond 25GB fast LTE data. Shaw Fibre+ Gig & Fibre+ Gig 1.5 Internet customers are eligible to receive a $60 discount per month on the $85 Unlimited and $95 Unlimited + U.S. & Mexico plans. Auto payment and approved credit required. A Shaw Internet bundle discount is available on up to a total 6 lines, based off approved credit. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. If you change or downgrade your Shaw Internet plan, you will migrate to the current in-market Shaw Internet bundle discounts applicable to your new Internet plan. This may result in a change to your existing discounts on each Shaw Mobile line and your existing discounts may be unrecoverable. See shaw.ca/mobilediscounts for current in-market discounts available for your Shaw Mobile plans. Taxes, government fees and pay-per-use charges are extra. All Shaw Mobile services are subject to our Terms of Service, MyTab Additional Terms of Service , Fair Usage Policy and Privacy Policy.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-29-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:07 PM

Dean is correct with regards to their Mobile plans, I am a Shaw customer from BC and the deal with the “Shaw to Shaw”customer is with a Shaw landline phone. I have it and it saves me a bundle when calling or receiving calls from my kids who are also Shaw customers
Old 12-29-2020, 05:09 PM

My in laws switched to this and had nothing but issues. Their phones wouldn’t send calls or receive them at times. They ended up going back to Bell. Anyone else have issues like this? I have two Shaw SIM cards sitting on my desk and I’m debating switching.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-29-2020, 10:21 PM

Dean is correct.
Plus you do not need to go to a Shaw outlet to do this....buddy of mine went to Walmart and had them port his # over to Shaw.

But...if you don't like Shaw, then stay away....simple as that.
Not like any of the other carriers are any better though.....