Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Excalibur Crossbow Info Wanted

I’m looking to purchase a new Excalibur crossbow in the next few weeks and was hoping some of you that have an Excalibur crossbow could chime in with what you have, how you like it, and what you would buy differently if you were to buy another Excalibur crossbow today.

I’ve been told the discontinued Matrix 380 was about as good as it got a few years back but Excalibur has a whole bunch of new models out this year. Our local Canadian Tire actually has a bunch of the discontinued Matrix 380’s still in stock, so I haven’t ruled one of them out yet.

I shouldered a Micro 355 today that I really liked. 355 FPS is sufficient for pretty much anything and it comes in a small package for a recurve. But, I’m also liking the idea of one of their fastest crossbows, the Bulldog 440. Not quite as compact but a guy would never be wanting for more power.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:21 PM

I've had a few Excalibur crossbows. I currently have a Matrix 330 and a Micro 335. I shoot both of them regularly but I do gravitate to the Micro. Both of them are keepers, you couldn't go wrong by purchasing a Matrix or Micro. Both can shoot under an inch at 50 yards. I've had quite a few scopes mounted on them also. Matrix has a Leupold VX-R 1.25 - 4X firedot reticle and the Matrix an EOTech 512 XBOW. Might surprise you but the EOTech wins for me hands down. Triggertech makes a drop in trigger for them also . The Excalibur crossbow forum is the best place to talk Excalibur crossbows
Old 09-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've had a few Excalibur crossbows. I currently have a Matrix 330 and a Micro 335. I shoot both of them regularly but I do gravitate to the Micro. Both of them are keepers, you couldn't go wrong by purchasing a Matrix or Micro. Both can shoot under an inch at 50 yards. I've had quite a few scopes mounted on them also. Matrix has a Leupold VX-R 1.25 - 4X firedot reticle and the Matrix an EOTech 512 XBOW. Might surprise you but the EOTech wins for me hands down. Triggertech makes a drop in trigger for them also . The Excalibur crossbow forum is the best place to talk Excalibur crossbows
Thanks CNP.

I’ve looked at the Excalibur crossbow forum a few times but I’m trying to stay away from it. Nothing wrong with the forum but I already dedicate way too much of my free time to the 4 forums I frequent daily. I’d like to just cut it down to AO but I’m having a hard time weening myself...lol.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Banned

Arrow

I've had several of their models over the years.
Currently, I am running with a Matrix 380 with "fast" limbs and pretty well tricked right out - aftermarket custom strings, arrows, scope, trigger etc.

I am extremely happy with this bow, and have decided it is the one I'll keep forever. Shot the Bulldog, and it's impressive, but I just like my Matrix better.

See which model "fits" you best. They are so accurate inherently you should be comfortable within a short period of time. The 355 is liked by quite a few, and has a good reputation for durability and accuracy.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM

You may know already but X-Bow are not legal during archery only season UNLESS you obtain the permit needed to use it with injury or disability. In Alberta a crossbow does not meet the definition of “archery equipment”.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Banned

i have a 380 in carbon fibre and i'm thinking of getting something else
Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM

Default Excalibur

I just bought the Bulldog 440 this summer and believe it is part of the Matrix line-up. Very easy to set up and within the first afternoon I had it sighted in. The 20 - 100 yard increments built into the scope work awesome! easy to "cock" with the charger system. I am very happy with it. Note; one of the other new models this year, the Assassin 420 was(maybe still is) just on sale at BassPro for $700 off which has the built in charger system and take down capabilities. JMO, but i don't think you could go wrong with any of the Excalibur models. Happy hunting!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti88 View Post
I just bought the Bulldog 440 this summer and believe it is part of the Matrix line-up. Very easy to set up and within the first afternoon I had it sighted in. The 20 - 100 yard increments built into the scope work awesome! easy to "cock" with the charger system. I am very happy with it. Note; one of the other new models this year, the Assassin 420 was(maybe still is) just on sale at BassPro for $700 off which has the built in charger system and take down capabilities. JMO, but i don't think you could go wrong with any of the Excalibur models. Happy hunting!
I definitely would have been interested in the Assassin 420 for that kind of deal but I don’t see them still on sale. Thanks for the info though.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
I've had several of their models over the years.
Currently, I am running with a Matrix 380 with "fast" limbs and pretty well tricked right out - aftermarket custom strings, arrows, scope, trigger etc.

I am extremely happy with this bow, and have decided it is the one I'll keep forever. Shot the Bulldog, and it's impressive, but I just like my Matrix better.

See which model "fits" you best. They are so accurate inherently you should be comfortable within a short period of time. The 355 is liked by quite a few, and has a good reputation for durability and accuracy.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Nog
Our local Canadian Tire still have a few Matrix 380’s for sale Nog. I thought long and hard about getting one based on previous posts you made but I’m wondering if I’d just be better off getting something a bit faster right off the bat and not being tempted to upgrade it.

Excalibur’s lineup is pretty impressive. It would be an easier decision if they just had a couple models.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
You may know already but X-Bow are not legal during archery only season UNLESS you obtain the permit needed to use it with injury or disability. In Alberta a crossbow does not meet the definition of “archery equipment”.
First, to answer the OP. I own a Micro 355. I looked a long time and passed on several offering as they were being discontinued.
The limbs are shorter and therefore a little more effort to cock. The Micro 360 seems to supplant the 355 although I am not sure. Excalibur's warranty is exemplary, I know first hand. Buy a Charger EXT with it if you can afford it.

Crossbows were invented in China during the Zhou dynasty, around the year 700 BC. IMO, if crossbows are to be excluded in archery season, then it stands to reason that compound bows should be excluded too since they were invented in the '70s of the last century, a mere 25 centuries after the crossbow.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 AM

good point.

posted your post to another thread.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:19 PM

"Totally New to Archery"

if you care to follow the chatter,,,,,
Old 09-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the info and PM’s gents, it was greatly appreciated.

I ended up buying a new Excalibur 440 Bulldog package today. It comes with the Charger EXT, Tact-100 illuminated scope, Pro-shot ACP trigger, bla, bla, bla...

I think I’ll be quite happy with it and I’m looking forward to doing some plinking in the near future. It’s been a lot of years since I shot one so I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares to the old Barnett Rhino I had 25 years back.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

I ended up buying a new Excalibur 440 Bulldog package today. It comes with the Charger EXT, Tact-100 illuminated scope, Pro-shot ACP trigger, bla, bla, bla...

I think I’ll be quite happy with it and I’m looking forward to doing some plinking in the near future. It’s been a lot of years since I shot one so I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares to the old Barnett Rhino I had 25 years back.
Awesome! That is a beast of a crossbow on recurve limbs. With a 300# draw weight the Charger crank is a must.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Awesome...how much for the bla bla bla...

Post a pic later.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
First, to answer the OP. I own a Micro 355. I looked a long time and passed on several offering as they were being discontinued.
The limbs are shorter and therefore a little more effort to cock. The Micro 360 seems to supplant the 355 although I am not sure. Excalibur's warranty is exemplary, I know first hand. Buy a Charger EXT with it if you can afford it.

Crossbows were invented in China during the Zhou dynasty, around the year 700 BC. IMO, if crossbows are to be excluded in archery season, then it stands to reason that compound bows should be excluded too since they were invented in the '70s of the last century, a mere 25 centuries after the crossbow.
Well said.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome...how much for the bla bla bla...

Post a pic later.
Will do. I was in camp for 7 days when it showed up then it was off to get a buddy a bull moose for the last 5 days. I’m back but heading back to camp for another 7 so in the box it will stay until next days off.