Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Default PAL renewal issues

So I applied online to renew my pal at the beginning of August (4 weeks before it expired) and now here we are in October and I haven't gotten anything yet. I've checked the status online and it says the same thing it has for the last month-initial processing complete, in progress. The site says it usually takes 45 days to receive the new license but that apparently isn't the case. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on something I should do? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM

Not sure. Mine has always had a less than 6 week turn-around. Maybe call them and see what's up?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 PM

My renewals have varied from three weeks to five months. I always apply at least six months in advance.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM

I did try earlier on but the site was always down. Should have known to do it well in advance though.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckless View Post
So I applied online to renew my pal at the beginning of August (4 weeks before it expired) and now here we are in October and I haven't gotten anything yet. I've checked the status online and it says the same thing it has for the last month-initial processing complete, in progress. The site says it usually takes 45 days to receive the new license but that apparently isn't the case. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on something I should do? Thanks.
Call them. I had the same thing so I called them and got it a week later. She actually told me it was just in the pile.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 PM

I had the same issue, I called twice and was told that it was a back log issue. They cashed my cheque immediately but it took almost 3 months to get my new card.... I would suggest calling them frequently until you receive your new card.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 PM

Alright thanks, ill start harassing them tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Default Call

Yep, call every week. For others looking to renew.... Better to hand it in personally at the firearms office (I am in Edmonton). The ladies there told me it definitely gets through quicker. I applied to renew the day before it expired, they assured me it was definitely stamped 'in' and I got it in a month.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM

You can do it online now. Supposed to be fast.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o...-a-feu-eng.htm
Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckless View Post
Should have known to do it well in advance though.
Don't beat yourself up about it.

There's enough of us here to do that for you.

Seriously, call them, and good luck.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Do you own a restricted firearm? Alberta loves holding it up without proof of a range membership. Once you send it in they will finish it up. If you do own restricted's, Phone and ask, get a reference number and email or scan them a copy of your range membership.

Also they did this to me last year, on the phone they "claimed" it's ok if its expired as long as they have received the application. I don't fully trust them but nobody came for my guns
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 PM

No, I dont even have a restricted license and no hiccups in the past. Called today and they pretty much told me to check the status online (which ive done a lot) and it will come in when it comes in, it was a bit frustrating but not much I can do about it now brought it upon myself I guess. I just wish they wouldnt tell you its usually a 45 day wait, gets a guys hopes up.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Takes longer to get a pal than a passport!!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM

Where are you located?? I had similar issues and went to the firearms office at Harry Hayes building downtown Calgary and spoke with firearms officer, explains the delay. Got a call at the end of the day stating it has been approved. Squeaky wheel gets the grease he phrased to me.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Where are you located?? I had similar issues and went to the firearms office at Harry Hayes building downtown Calgary and spoke with firearms officer, explains the delay. Got a call at the end of the day stating it has been approved. Squeaky wheel gets the grease he phrased to me.
I'm in lethbridge, not sure who I could find here that could help me out. I'm open to suggestions though.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 AM

I had the same issue this year as well. I sent in my application and I know they received it shortly after as they wasted no time charging the amount to my visa. I called after none of reference had received a call 2 months after, she told me everything appeared fine and my application had been released to their call center for reference checks and as long as everything was fine there it wouldn't be much longer. It was another 2 weeks before they called a reference and then about 10-14 days after that I received my new card.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 PM

I got mine back after doing it online in about a week. I wasn't happy with iPhone pics so I got a digital passport pic from Walmart to attach. I don't have any restricted weapons though, it was a relief as it expired on the first day of rifle season.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Online......12 weeks.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Hey Luckless,
Might have some info to help!
Shoot me a PM.
Dan
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Banned

I think the process varies. I have heard different side of stories when it comes to PAL renewal online.