Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 09:32 PM

"years of underfunding" from your perspective. Our budget to AHS is already huge. We allowed too many people in, never kept up with infrastructure, the AMA made sure we didn't have enough doctors, we sent 200 billion East, plus the plandemic screwed everything up royally.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
"years of underfunding" from your perspective. Our budget to AHS is already huge. We allowed too many people in, never kept up with infrastructure, the AMA made sure we didn't have enough doctors, we sent 200 billion East, plus the plandemic screwed everything up royally.
Primary care is incredibly underfunded. Hard to convince anyone to even do it these days. I sure wouldn't.

Tell me how the AMA was involved?

Who determines how many doctors we train in Alberta? How would a province retain said trained doctors?

We lost quite a few when their contract got unilaterally torn up while BC cranked up their wages.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:57 AM

Default Number of Doctors

There is a lot of information in these posts. I'm sorry to hear the stories of incorrect or missed diagnoses, medicine is still not an exact science.

Anyway, the number of physicians is determined by the number of spaces that the universities are allowed to train. Alberta with 2 medical schools should never have any shortages. The problem hurting the system now, and it has been for a very long time, is not being able to discharge patients from the acute hospitals who have completed the acute phase of their illness but cannot return to their homes. Usually because they can't handle 2 stairs.

The physicians that we already have could easily triage the patients in the waiting room/ER if the hospital had available beds!

My grand daughter, an honours student could easily be accepted into medical school but her mother, who is a psychologist has advised against it for many of the reasons that you see in the responses to this post.

We are trying to solve the wrong problem.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 AM

Default Number of doctors

According to this article Alberta has added 500 new doctors and a new deal is coming for doctors.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...”%20she%20said.

On a side note, the whole country has a doctor shortage because of reckless immigration, effecting everything from healthcare to housing. Alberta just seems to be Trudeau’s paid media punching bag.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:20 AM

I think but could be wrong because I'm not in the industry but I think you have to be a RN before you can be NP so there is quite a bit of training involved here.
I suspect this is a good way to take load off of our doctors and to provide better services under our circumstances.
In my area you will wait years and years to get a family doctor but yet all these outsiders are moving here like crazy.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=pittman;4719721]

Tell me how the AMA was involved?

Who determines how many doctors we train in Alberta? How would a province retain said trained doctors?

I think you very well know the answer to your question, an imposed quota system to enable the privileged few to retain their positions and salaries. Our Universities already with gazillions in taxpayer subsidies churn out useless degrees that head out to netherworlds. Why not be leaders in training people for useful employ. Do you think that the AMA did not know that a shortage was on the horizon while they were backslapping each other at the faculty club. As a hardcore dipper, what did Notley do for you with the 80 billion she overspent. I see in her leadership debate speech Shannon she says that she would hire 1000 professionals immediately, like duh, from where, pull them out of her big ...hat.