Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Default mcgregor whitefish reports?

Anyone catching any whites out on mcgregor?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM

Default skunks ass

not even a bite today
Old 12-05-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenstown kid View Post
not even a bite today
How thick is the ice?
Old 12-06-2020, 06:45 PM

7" inch solid ice at the boat launch. No whitefish, 2 walleyes and 2 pikes. Beautiful day to be out, visit from F&W around noon.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:32 PM

Skunked on the whites but managed to catch a surprise rainbow. I was fishing right up against the dam in the rocks from 4 to 10 ft of water.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:30 PM

Did you see any whitefish
Old 12-08-2020, 07:10 PM

I was wondering if they spawned a bit early with that early freeze we had in October, this seems to have answered that question. Time to target them like the rest of winter I guess.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:11 PM

i keep wondering about the whitefish in mcgregor, after the stoppage of the commercial fishing there i thought in a few years the fishing for the whites would be pretty good but it seems they are not in the usual places like the boat launch or the rock dam wall mentioned.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i keep wondering about the whitefish in mcgregor, after the stoppage of the commercial fishing there i thought in a few years the fishing for the whites would be pretty good but it seems they are not in the usual places like the boat launch or the rock dam wall mentioned.
There are some beautiful whitefish in mcgregor but they’re very picky. I haven’t caught one ice fishing yet after trying religiously for 3 yrs.
I did catch a few this summer open water fishing, average size was 20” biggest was 24”
They’re in there for sure but they’re very picky it seems.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Default Whitefish

I’ll try to post a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3FB9FB07-4C64-4635-B931-BF3D0AA77CF4.jpg (12.1 KB, 276 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:22 PM

I have gone there regularly each year on first ice in mid Nov for the past 10+ years. First couple years were incredible the massive schools swimming along the north rock wall dam, I even managed a few with my fish bow as the water was pretty clear.

Then the water started getting murkier and the whites less. The last few years I've been skunked, not nearly as many swimming under the ice. I can't blame it on the anglers as it's been pretty consistently busy each year. I haven't even bothered this year.

I've really wondered why the water has gotten murkier each year and doesn't seem to clear up anymore. I can tell there are less whites there as my flasher doesn't pick them up. I really hope that the numbers have not declined and they have just moved to different areas of the lake for spawning.

They seem to be in decent numbers way down the middle of the lake at the bridge area in the summer time. Has anyone tried the rock walls there on ice?
Old 12-09-2020, 11:10 PM

After going there a time or 2 with you several years ago I have gone to Travers by the campground boat launch and would be my go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I have gone there regularly each year on first ice in mid Nov for the past 10+ years. First couple years were incredible the massive schools swimming along the north rock wall dam, I even managed a few with my fish bow as the water was pretty clear.

Then the water started getting murkier and the whites less. The last few years I've been skunked, not nearly as many swimming under the ice. I can't blame it on the anglers as it's been pretty consistently busy each year. I haven't even bothered this year.

I've really wondered why the water has gotten murkier each year and doesn't seem to clear up anymore. I can tell there are less whites there as my flasher doesn't pick them up. I really hope that the numbers have not declined and they have just moved to different areas of the lake for spawning.

They seem to be in decent numbers way down the middle of the lake at the bridge area in the summer time. Has anyone tried the rock walls there on ice?
Old 12-12-2020, 03:57 PM

I was there on Thursday and saw lots on camera but couldnt get to bite.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:07 PM

I was there on Friday. I seen quite a few whitefish, but none were even remotely interested. Seems to be a common thing on this lake. I have no problem catching whites at other lakes. These whitefish leave me confused !!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Was there on Saturday, dead slow, nadda, nothing spotted at all. 6” of ice. Weekend before at least spotted 6 whites. Had 1 commit but I was too slow on the draw. Maybe it’s the cold front?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:29 PM

I find cold fronts don't effect whites and trout as much as pike and perch and walleyes. Mind you I fish central and northern alberta pretty much exclusively. I find whites are best around the 2nd or 3rd day after a full moon and as the moon is building to full a couple days prior. Jyst my 2 cents, I make note of what tge weather and moon is doing when I have a good day and some of the best days I've had for the bigger more fussy whites is when you can hardly keep the tent anchored or so bloody cold you worry about your truck not starting. Keep on them and try every thing you got. If they are around sooner or later they will turn on.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Guy View Post
I was there on Friday. I seen quite a few whitefish, but none were even remotely interested. Seems to be a common thing on this lake. I have no problem catching whites at other lakes. These whitefish leave me confused !!
were you by the rock dam? I never see them by the rocks, but closer to the west side where the slopes are flatter. But agreed, past few years have been difficult. I had 1 good day in open water, but that was it.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:36 AM

The early season in whitefish seems to have changed some the last few years. I remember 10 years ago going out early ice and pulling out tons and they were super aggressive, now they seem to barely show up in lots of their traditional spots by the dam and campground. I wonder if their numbers are way down somehow because I used to do well in various spots on the lake going back 25 years at different times. Granted I haven’t gotten out as much as I used to but I don’t see anywhere close to the number of fish that I used to.with the closure of the commercial fishery one would have thought it would be stellar fishing for them by now.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:46 AM

I was fishing over by the boat launch. The numbers of whitefish we have been seeing seems to be dropping since earlier in the season. I think I may try in deep water next time.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Finally managed to hook me a few whites. I was fishing in deeper water over a mudflat with red a red wireworm. Saw a couple of smaller marks cruising the bottom. maybe some small lucky perch which are surviving the mass of walleyes.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Just curious. How deep of water were you fishing ?
Old 12-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly Guy View Post
Just curious. How deep of water were you fishing ?
20-30ft
Old 01-22-2021, 05:23 PM

anyone been out to McGregor Lake lately? Looking for ice report but also get an idea if people seeing any whitefish or burbot action?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
anyone been out to McGregor Lake lately? Looking for ice report but also get an idea if people seeing any whitefish or burbot action?

I was out there 2 nights ago. I didn’t measure but ice was around 18 inches I’d guess. I didn’t go out far. About 10 ft of water just south of the boat launch hoping for burbot. We fished from 4-midnight and took up 6 crayfish and 1 pike. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk