Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 PM

I believe he would affix the tags as soon as he got home and found some wires. While the butter was melting

The court should have postponed the court date. All these cases getting thrown out is a joke.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Not sure why people keep coming to a sportfishing forum with poaching stories and expect sympathy. Sounds all illegal to me.

You are supposed to tag the fish immediately after catching them. So the first fish you should realize you have no way to tag the fish and throw it back. Sounds like you went on to catch several more without placing tags on them, which is illegal even if you have the tags.

You know there are other ways to attach a tag. Like a piece of fishing line. At least it would have shown effort on your part and the tag would have been used.

Should have played it smart and just gone back to the truck and got the wires before you kept the fish.

To me it sounds like a perfect poaching excuse and I am sure the Conservation officers hear it all the time, "Oh I was just about to put the tag on when you pulled up."
I still think given the situation the thing to do is throw the fish back and go get the proper wires. It just leaves no question for officers. Some may applaud you for thinking outside the box if you choose to use fishing line or something else however you might get a bad one that will put you through unnecessary b.s. if they choose through their discretion. I don't see the urgency, it's not like we are talking about tagging the last walleye in Lac St. Anne.

Heck I ran into an officer a couple years ago at Buck Lake that wondered why our walleye weren't tagged. Luckily they were with another officer that corrected them but I wouldn't want to deal with that officer by their lonesome if I was tagging fish with fishing line.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I still think given the situation the thing to do is throw the fish back and go get the proper wires. It just leaves no question for officers. Some may applaud you for thinking outside the box if you choose to use fishing line or something else however you might get a bad one that will put you through unnecessary b.s. if they choose through their discretion. I don't see the urgency, it's not like we are talking about tagging the last walleye in Lac St. Anne.

Heck I ran into an officer a couple years ago at Buck Lake that wondered why our walleye weren't tagged. Luckily they were with another officer that corrected them but I wouldn't want to deal with that officer by their lonesome if I was tagging fish with fishing line.
Yeah, thats why I first said release the fish and go get the wires from the truck. But if you already bonked the first one then improvise and go get the wires. You're right it is always up to their discretion. Should just follow the law and no issues.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures

Tags
fine officer tags f&w