Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Default Yeti ice

Is this a marketing gimmick or is this product worth the money as opposed to juice container filled with water and frozen?
Old 12-03-2020, 01:14 PM

Yeti makes a great product but they charge astronomical prices

Id freeze my own like you are planning.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:40 PM

i've got one, best hot/cold cup that i've used. hot beverage is all ways hot, hour trip out of town, leave cup in truck at least an hour, still hot on ride home.
i brewed up a coffee this morning about 10:00 went skating at noon, left it in truck for about an hour, drove out of town, came home at about 4:00, coffee still warn, not hot, but not cold either, still very drinkable.
not sure of the price, i got mine from a service company.
never tried it on cold drinks, but grandkids have them, ice stays most of an 18 hole golf game. they're good.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Is this a marketing gimmick or is this product worth the money as opposed to juice container filled with water and frozen?
Yeti ice is a joke.
No better than the $3.00 freezer packs. My daughter got me a couple and they last no longer than the cheap ones.
Save your money.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:20 PM

I'd say the only upsides to the Yeti "ice" is the overall durability of the freezer pack and the amount of "magic juice" per pack, i.e size. Like most freezer packs they freeze at a temp below zero (-2C I think). But the overall build means they don't leak any of their magic juice and can be tossed about with more abandon. And they're pretty big, bigger than your typical "toss in the lunch bag" size from CT. We have a half dozen various yellow, purple, blue, pink things on that shelf in the freezer that seem to weigh a couple ounces each and I never ever use them; I'm always grabbing a 1lb Yeti blue ice every workday for lunch.

There's no actual "magic" to how cold the yeti ice packs are or how long they last. Probably exactly comparable to water. Just depends on user preference, how soggy your want your cooler, how quickly you want stuff to cool down. For day trips I like to use freezer packs; for longer trips I use homemade 2L ice cubes from tupperware, if i can remember to freeze them.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:38 PM

Denser materials should theoretically hold more thermal mass, so I recommend lining your cooler with cut or cast-to-fit sheet lead that you pre-freeze. Also lead Tupperware, there's a huge market left un-exploited there....