Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Banned

Default Best Cold Weather Socks?

What socks are you folks wearing for all day on the line during the coldest days of winter?

For the past few years I’ve been wearing the “Forever” merino wool socks from Bass Pro but you can’t trade them in for a new pair like you could before. I found them to be a decent sock and I’d like to find something at least as good, if not better. I’m researching but real life experience would be appreciated, especially any advice on what brands to avoid.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:18 PM

From my experience you cant beat Russian VELENKI felt boots for extremely cold weather activity. Wear a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks plus a felt in- sole
in them and moccasin rubbers over, and your good to go in any cold weather. Plus, they are very light and comfortable compared to any conventional cold weather boot. They are on the internet. Buy direct from Russia.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:51 PM

I have problems finding warm socks that fit well. I don't understand how shoes/boots are sized in 1/2" sizes according to your foot size, but socks are just sold basically as 'small', 'medium', and 'large'! I have a size 12 foot, so socks I'm supposed to buy are "Size 10 to 12" socks that also fit someone with size 10 feet? It doesn't make sense.
Who makes good, winter socks, made exclusively for a size 12 foot?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Banned

Thanks. I have the boots covered with Pac Boots from Cabelas and a pair of Cdn Military mukluks, also felt insoles. They’re warm but I’m not crazy about my old mukluks because there’s no ankle support. I also have thermocell insoles but they’re only good until the batteries die.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 AM

I wear the muck arctic pro boots c/w a pair of merino socks.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
From my experience you cant beat Russian VELENKI felt boots for extremely cold weather activity. Wear a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks plus a felt in- sole
in them and moccasin rubbers over, and your good to go in any cold weather. Plus, they are very light and comfortable compared to any conventional cold weather boot. They are on the internet. Buy direct from Russia.
My uncle used to work on some oil rigs over there and brought us back a bunch of those boots like 25 years ago. They are by far the best boot ever, weird as hell looking but wow.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 AM

I find it helps to use antiperspirant spray on my feet before putting on any heavy sock.
Otherwise my feet sweat and get cold anyways.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Banned

Going with......Darned Tough Socks. Great reviews and a lifetime guarantee. Wear them out and they’re replaced with a new pair. I’ll see how long that deal lasts....lol.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 PM
Banned

So, I'm checking out these "darn good socks" and see that it says
"ships from China".....what gives, I thought they were Danish built..
Old 12-04-2020, 11:41 PM

Hands down the best cold weather socks that I have ever worn are Sigvaris Merino wool. I only wear one pair, even on the coldest days; never a problem.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
So, I'm checking out these "darn good socks" and see that it says
"ships from China".....what gives, I thought they were Danish built..
No Doug, Darn Tough socks are made in Vermont, USA. I saw those Danish socks on Amazon and looked at the material. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were made in China. Darn Tough Socks are 67% merino wool.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-05-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Contact your local Hutterite colony, they make socks by hand you can get them to make your own socks the way you want, all wool or half wool half whatever, spend the money on a local purchase
Old 12-11-2020, 10:07 AM

The heavy wool socks our mothers use to make were warmest socks I ever wore. I second the Hutterite ladies knitting you a few pairs.
I still wear homemade wool liners in my cold weather mitts in extreme cold weather on trapline.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Used alpaca wool socks but they bunched up on me. Last couple years I've just been wearing merino wool socks from Costco... Make sure I thoroughly dry my pac boots and as long as I'm moving I'm good. use those boots and socks all winter ice fishing, snowmobiling, hunting, trapping etc... I've had bigger issues with cold hands as I've frost bit my hands multiple times over the years.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What socks are you folks wearing for all day on the line during the coldest days of winter?

For the past few years I’ve been wearing the “Forever” merino wool socks from Bass Pro but you can’t trade them in for a new pair like you could before. I found them to be a decent sock and I’d like to find something at least as good, if not better. I’m researching but real life experience would be appreciated, especially any advice on what brands to avoid.
Bass Pro has new version of their socks without Lifetime warranty. I have a couple pairs of those and I like them so far. They did introduce special tough fiber in critical areas and last time I was there I paid 9.99 C$ per pair on special.
They are 82% Merino Wool, 14 % Nylon, 3% Kyorene Nylon ( that is the tough fiber) and 1% Lycra

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY