Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Ice Fishing with campfire...

Hi folks, for those camp overnight on the ice, do any of you bring wood and a fire pit with you? What set up do you use?

Obviously, I don't want set-up or leave anything behind right on the ice. But does anyone have a solution like using an elevated fire pit that you can bring out and take back with you?

Thanks in advance.

JB
Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 PM

I've never done it myself and I'm not sure of the pros / cons, but I've seen people use the drum from a clothes dryer as a fire pit on the ice.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I've never done it myself and I'm not sure of the pros / cons, but I've seen people use the drum from a clothes dryer as a fire pit on the ice.
Ive heard that too. I'm wondering how quick does the ice melt under the fire? I guess heat rises... but still...
Old 12-02-2020, 05:30 PM

I bring a couple swedish logs for cooking smokies when on the ice for the day.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Don't kid yourself. Most of the time it's windy and cold as $%^& out on the ice in the dark. Fire or no fire, you're gonna be inside the tent fishing. We usually cook supper outside with the tent blocking the wind just before the sun goes down, fire up the genny to recharge electronics, and hunker down for the night bite.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:45 PM

I have a cheap stainless steel bowl, about 8 litres that I fill with charcoal, have a trigger light propane torch to light and a cheap crumpled lid for the bowl. Good handwarmer and bbq for smokies. As other folk said,, typically windy. If you bring a big container for wood, make sure it has legs and sits on a good plank.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:51 PM

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-titan/

I have used the Solo Stove Titan since last spring and really like it. It burns efficiently, boils water quickly, and is very durable. I have the 1800ml. Pot that the stove fits in. A 10 inch fry pan fits on top or I just cook a smokie over top. Great for a couple guys.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:11 PM

Use the washer tub for the firepit. Have it ontop of a lawn mower and just move it 5 ft couple times a day if its melting into ice or making a big water spot under it. Cons- does take up space, usually dont take the handles and just push it with my boot a if its melting too much. cools off suprisingly quick after to load up. Fill it with firewood so it saves a bit of space that way but still a big item.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 PM

I picked up one of these last year.
https://www.ucogear.com/ucoware/portable-firepit-gr--fb
It’s small and not intended for a big bonfire but just enough to cook a smokie or warm your hands up on. You have to feed it fairly often with smaller wood but it also keeps the kids entertained either making small kindling to feed it or collecting branches on shore of we’re in an area we can do that.
When you’re done it just folds up and holds most of the ash in it if you just drop it into a pail. I bring it even on most of my day trips now. Just make sure you set it up on some wood as otherwise it will melt right into the ice and water will get it.
If you want a big fire to sit around though, you’re going to need something bigger.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:32 PM

I use a portable fire pit (cheapy from Canadian Tire) and I put it ontop of a modified pallet that has a chunk of tin screwed to the top of it. Takes up a fair bit of space, but when driving on the ice with the truck it isn't a huge deal. And you don't get that puddle.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Year's ago, a lake I ice fished on, there was usually 2 older gents fishing and they had an old round briquet bar-b-q and they always had a wood fire going in it. This one was about 3 or 4 ft tall with 3 legs and wheels on the legs.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Oh man the first time I seen one of these was when a bunch of us were camping. By the end of the night after a little liquid courage we were having races around the campground pushing the lawn mower & campfire. So after that had to build one just to have one I could call my own. It’s nice that it is portable and easy to move. Campfire will travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 PM

I saw a couple guys with a campfire in a wheelbarrow once.
When they packed up, they wheeled it over , and dumped it into our fire.
Worked pretty slick.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:25 PM

The best thing i saw was an old tire rim.It had no paint on it and it kept the wood off the ice and had alot of air flow for the fire to burn.The people just brought a couple bags of wood from the gas station but you can just bring your own split wood.But remember to use firesticks and not gas from the ice auger-yes i did see that once!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Back in MB we made many snow machine trips & portage into remote lakes, always brought a small chain saw, axe & made a fire for our shore lunch & mickey of something to warm your belly, brings back fond memories.

Here in Sylvan, have had to clean up old fire burnt logs & lumber that guys leave behind on the ice, some people just don't give a chit these days.

D.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 PM

I use old feed bags. One bag filled with good wood will last 6 hours in my stove so two bags 12 hours etc. Figure out how long I am staying and pack that much wood. Most places I fish I can’t cut wood.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Here in Sylvan, have had to clean up old fire burnt logs & lumber that guys leave behind on the ice, some people just don't give a chit these days.

D.
Please don't jump all over me I've never had a bonfire on the ice but I have an honest question: How is that any different from finding a back country fire pit? I'm sure many burnt trees fall into bodies of water during forest fires.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post

Oh man the first time I seen one of these was when a bunch of us were camping. By the end of the night after a little liquid courage we were having races around the campground pushing the lawn mower & campfire. So after that had to build one just to have one I could call my own. It’s nice that it is portable and easy to move. Campfire will travel.

A buddy had some old steel skis from an old sled. He built a little frame ,mounted a washer tub and a hitch and pulls it with his sled or atv
Wish I could find a picture. Works great
Old 12-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A old tire rim works well too...and when the days/nights are calm it is awesome just to hang out even when it's a bit cold...seen people use thier vehicles as wind breaks if needed...always nice to have options...sit in the tent or outside.

I personally use the tent if really friggin cold but man I really enjoy sitting outside if I had a choice...just better for the soul.

St the end of the trip just clean up please...already seeing the crap left in the ice..cig butts etc...slobs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2020, 08:14 AM

I haven’t done it for a few years but I would just bring a small portable fire pit. At the end of the day put snow on it, let it cool and throw the ash and snow in a big black garbage bag and throw away at home.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Please don't jump all over me I've never had a bonfire on the ice but I have an honest question: How is that any different from finding a back country fire pit? I'm sure many burnt trees fall into bodies of water during forest fires.
I believe it's just a courtesy thing. Nothing worse than drilling a hole and hitting wood in the middle of the lake. Fire logs do a number on ones blade.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

oh and here is one...was getting checked out by the fish cops last years...great guys..we had some laughs when directly in front of us off the ice up on the shoreline was smoke...fish cop takes out bino's and see's people gathering around a fire which is on provincial park land so just be aware off were you spark up a smudge...or expensive hot dogs may be on your menu.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2020, 12:21 PM

I've used a small kettle style BBQ in the past. I just cut the legs down so it is lower to the ground. Works great and you can use the grate to cook over.

Something like this:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3147p.html#srp
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 AM

I bring this out on the ice if we want a fire. Half a steel drum with legs made out of small square tubing. It’s light and cost about $10 to make.

You could also cut the drum in half the other way to make a more compact, round fire pit.

And I’m no mathematician but if you cut a drum in half, either way, I believe it’s possible to make two fire pits.