Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Blackstone conditions

With the rain we've had, and the rain forecasted in the area is the Blackstone likely to be blown out and unfishable on Sunday and Monday?

Some friends and I were planning a Trip for two days. I have read people.have had luck during the rain but thought I'd ask.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Yes

It probably will be blown out but there are other creeks in the area that may not be like chungo or sturrock, sturrock is a nice creek with massive bulls it's slow moving in most parts wandering between two mountains quite nice actually, don't get caught in a storm there though not much cover and pretty far run to the trees for cover, then the spot you happen to enter at there is a massive pile of moss and branches covering a freshly killed bull moose cause you really have to high tail it out of there then lol past experience
Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM

fished it on June 20th. it was clear but running hi and fast to the point where you could not safely cross the river in spots. limited how much of the river you could walk and wade. did catch a real nice cuttie though so they were still in there. there are a couple of real nice looking pools by the campground bridge on Chungo rd but you could not get to them and fish them being as the water was real hi an flowing.
but looking at the river basin data for Brown river (flows into Bigstone so should be similiar flows) it has dropped a lot in the week since we were there. so might be in better conditions now.

good luck
Mike
Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM

meant flows into Blackstone. why i keep calling it Bigstone. oldtimers i guess.