Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Who has been out to Pembina this year?

Heading out this weekend, camping at Pembina Prov Park. How is the fishing? River high?...clean/dirty?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Heading out this weekend, camping at Pembina Prov Park. How is the fishing? River high?...clean/dirty?
I work with a guy from Fawcet that fishes the Pembina most weeks. He says its been high and dirty since it opened and fishing has been tough. He told me that the best way to fish it right now is to try and find cleaner water up the creeks and fish them right at last light.

I've been fishing the Lesser Slave River pretty regularly and its in the same shape. I havn't been going very far up the creeks myself, but I'm catching most of my fish at the mouths, mostly at last light, either right in the seam where the two colors of water meet or right up on the silt bar that one generally finds just upstream of the confluence.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM

Kinda what I figured, not the best.

I appreciate the advice and insight.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:04 PM

What is the PP like at Evansburg? Did it flood? Is it good for kids? Is it busy every weekend?

BW
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Pembina Provincial Park is great. A popular campground that is usually full on weekends for the most part, weekdays are obviously slower.

Floating down the river is fun (hopefully not too high for that this year) Good fishing, playground etc. As with most campgrounds there are sites that are preferable over others but if you've never camped there, definitely give it a shot.

According to this table, the river is lower than average right now? I don't know why there are two black lines..which one is the average?

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/ap...tionID=RPEMENT

Last edited by thing; 06-28-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
What is the PP like at Evansburg? Did it flood? Is it good for kids? Is it busy every weekend?

BW
It's a great place, fun for kids (keep a close watch on them in the water - there are holes, large rocks and of course the current). It can get really busy on a hot day.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Pembina Provincial Park is an great. A popular campground that is usually full on weekends for the most part, weekdays are obviously slower.

Floating down the river is fun (hopefully not too high for that this year) Good fishing, playground etc. As with most campgrounds there are sites that are preferable over others but if you've never camped there, definitely give it a shot.

According to this table, the river is lower than average right now? I don't know why there are two black lines..which one is the average?

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/ap...tionID=RPEMENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
It's a great place, fun for kids (keep a close watch on them in the water - there are holes, large rocks and of course the current). It can get really busy on a hot day.
Thanks guys, going to put the PPP on my list of to do's this summer!

BW
Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM

I belive the dotted black dots are the normal average high and low flows and the blue line is this years. If thats case then the blue line is for most of this year above the normal high flow and in the past 3 days that area has had a ton of rain so I bet the river right now is high and dirty
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
I belive the dotted black dots are the normal average high and low flows and the blue line is this years. If thats case then the blue line is for most of this year above the normal high flow and in the past 3 days that area has had a ton of rain so I bet the river right now is high and dirty
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.