Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Should they issue a bear tag with each awarded moose tag?

Would it do any good to give out a black bear tag with each awarded moose draw?
The thought occurred to me when I read that article from Alaska (I think), where they researched and found a bear (I'm assuming it was a brown bear) was eating up to 40 caribou calves in 40 days....or 1 a day.
I am also under the impression that black bear hunting in Alberta is not maxed out (let me know if I'm wrong in this assumption).

If black bear hunting isn't maxed out here, and they demolish moose calves as many have said on here, would it be effective in any way to issue a black bear tag with each awarded moose tag?

Maybe nothing would change, but I thought maybe having a tag in your pocket would be enough to tip a hunter over to actually hunt bear.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Bear hunting is already extremely popular in Alberta with both residents & non residents. Alberta bears don't eat near the number of calves & fawns that Alaskan Brown Bears do.

Interesting idea but seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If the goal is to bring the Moose numbers up there is another group of animals that need to be controlled way before the bears 😉
Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Bear hunting is already extremely popular in Alberta with both residents & non residents. Alberta bears don't eat near the number of calves & fawns that Alaskan Brown Bears do.

Interesting idea but seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If the goal is to bring the Moose numbers up there is another group of animals that need to be controlled way before the bears 😉
Somewhat wrong on the first point. Black bears have been implicated as the main predator of moose calves, significantly contributing to the decline of manitobas moose; I read somewhere up to 50% of the total number that are born each year. perhaps they don't kill as many as brown bears, but we have both kinds and no reason to think they are any less predatory here. Of course you are correct on the last point, those critters are the main reason moose are disappearing.

I think it's a great idea. Black bears are almost at nuisance levels in many zones.

I know the tag doesn't cost much and many buy it every year...but I'd bet it would result in more bears being shot. Funny thing about human psychology. The same guy who wouldn't buy a tag, if given one would likely think to himself..."I haven't seen a moose in four days, must be those dang bears. Since I have the tag I may as well shoot one"

Last edited by 3blade; 06-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 PM

Bear tags are easy to get. If I wanted to shoot a bear I'd have one. Hopefully I get my 310 moose tag this year. I see moose where I hunt every year. I've never seen a bear there. I hear they are around, but never laid eyes on one there. Bear tag would be wasted on me. Give it to someone who wants a bear.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Good idea.

Anything to help bring black bear populations down.

I can't remember the thread, was in the trapping section and someone posted a study done in Alberta that pretty much said black bears eat more calves than wolves.

IMO, they need to change the rules for black bear hunting. Make it a choice to either take the hide or the meat. I know I would shoot more.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Funny thing about human psychology. The same guy who wouldn't buy a tag, if given one would likely think to himself..."I haven't seen a moose in four days, must be those dang bears. Since I have the tag I may as well shoot one"
The trouble I see with that is a lot of legally harvested, tagged bears going to waste. If it becomes a "spur of the moment" decision I'd be willing to bet a lot of those skins never make it to the taxidermist.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
The trouble I see with that is a lot of legally harvested, tagged bears going to waste. If it becomes a "spur of the moment" decision I'd be willing to bet a lot of those skins never make it to the taxidermist.
Unwanted hides can be legally sold into the fur market.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Anything to help bring black bear populations down.

I can't remember the thread, was in the trapping section and someone posted a study done in Alberta that pretty much said black bears eat more calves than wolves.

IMO, they need to change the rules for black bear hunting. Make it a choice to either take the hide or the meat. I know I would shoot more.
I agree somewhat.

Its pricey to have a hide /rug done. As for the meat I find it somewhat variable in flavor and it can be wormy.

Thats what stops me from hunting bears specifically.If I ever do shoot one it will have to be a large mature animal worthy of a journey to the taxidermist.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I agree somewhat.

Its pricey to have a hide /rug done. As for the meat I find it somewhat variable in flavor and it can be wormy.

Thats what stops me from hunting bears specifically.If I ever do shoot one it will have to be a large mature animal worthy of a journey to the taxidermist.
I have heard about that, but never experienced it with the 2 bears that I have harvested and lots of friends Bears. I hunt in zones with no baiting and I think it is better for meat taste. Bears taste like what they eat to an extent from what I have observed and read. Rotting meat probably doesn't help the taste of bears. On the same token I would like to hunt for a trophy over bait. More choices would get more people hunting Bears IMO.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charves View Post
The thought occurred to me when I read that article from Alaska (I think), where they researched and found a bear (I'm assuming it was a brown bear) was eating up to 40 caribou calves in 40 days....or 1 a day.
I am also under the impression that black bear hunting in Alberta is not maxed out (let me know if I'm wrong in this assumption).

If black bear hunting isn't maxed out here, and they demolish moose calves as many have said on here, would it be effective in any way to issue a black bear tag with each awarded moose tag?

Maybe nothing would change, but I thought maybe having a tag in your pocket would be enough to tip a hunter over to actually hunt bear.

And if the zone you draw your moose in doesn't carry much for bears?
You know like prairie farm zones........

There are no absolutes
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Good question Dick.
I was thinking this idea for zones that are bear-a-plenty.
As put in better words above, it was the psychological angle I was thinking of for getting people off the fence of hunting a bear or not.
I just wasn't sure if the bear harvest is being used as much as it could be to manage moose numbers.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

They should put a bounty on wolves and stop subsistence hunting. That would change hunting as we know it.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM

Being able to only shoot boars and dry sows, does hunting even impact black bear populations? I don't think so. Not many large bush areas that have low black bear populations. Perhaps the areas where grizz and blacks overlap there may be a noticeable decline in blacks but not from hunting.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM

As long as sows with cubs can't be killed, there is gonna always be high numbers.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charves View Post

In the late sixties and early seventies,when the metal tag was used you could do this?

When i did my search to find the regulation i failed.

I am guilty i used google and nothing more.

I will refine my search by trying find archives,or trigger memories.

The memories and or trigger has been presented.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM

Default Put up a link please

I'm interested in reading the articles that state black bears are killing all these ungulate calfs. There was a bunch of talk all over FB about it but no links to the articles. I'm definitely not disputing it, just interested in reading more about it. In SK only the sows with young of the year cubs at heel are
Protected which means the cubs are fair game (seems odd) or if the cubs are a year old then the sow is legal to. Definitely no shortage of bears in the area I baited this year (minus the 2 we harvested &#128077
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
I'm interested in reading the articles that state black bears are killing all these ungulate calfs. There was a bunch of talk all over FB about it but no links to the articles. I'm definitely not disputing it, just interested in reading more about it. In SK only the sows with young of the year cubs at heel are
Protected which means the cubs are fair game (seems odd) or if the cubs are a year old then the sow is legal to. Definitely no shortage of bears in the area I baited this year (minus the 2 we harvested &#128077
Have you ever heard of that new fangled thingy called Google. Enter Black Bear Predation on Moose and dozens of studies and articles show up.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Maybe no moose tags for a year and only bear tags and we all eat bear meat instead. That will help moose pops
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM

I think the price of a bear tag is already low enough that if you want to hunt them, you will. What is it, $20?

Here's a devil's advocate type question tho:

Maybe there's lots of bears because they get fed at bait sites for the first 60 days of spring? When calories are tough to come by.
Just stirring the pot here.......

Cheers.
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Default bear/caribou

The real advantage would be in protecting caribou calves. Hitting the wolves hard is only half the battle. Reducing black bear population would do wonders for caribou calf recovery, then we would not need to build expensive caribou pens on the Smokey.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
I think the price of a bear tag is already low enough that if you want to hunt them, you will. What is it, $20?

Maybe there's lots of bears because they get fed at bait sites for the first 60 days of spring? When calories are tough to come by.

Cheers.
John

That's something I've never thought of before. What is the impact of hundreds of bait sites drawing bears more into the front country, into possibly more contact with humans? I wonder. I don't have any particular hypothesis, but it would strike me the practice must be moving a lot of animals around.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post

Cheers.
John
It probably does lead to higher survival rates for younger bears within certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's something I've never thought of before. What is the impact of hundreds of bait sites drawing bears more into the front country, into possibly more contact with humans? I wonder. I don't have any particular hypothesis, but it would strike me the practice must be moving a lot of animals around.
My educated guess is that the most effective ungulate predators are the large males that hunters target. A sow may or may not have the size/strength/ambition, a 1 or 2 year old certainly won't. So really it depends if the hunter harvests enough bears of what we can call 'effective predator size'. If someone is waiting for a 20 incher, passing smaller and eating their tag for years in a row, they could potentially be making the problem worse i suppose. If one or several hunters harvest the majority of the large males in an area, it would likely increase calf survival.

All of this is a guess though, could very well be other factors at play
Old 06-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
They should put a bounty on wolves and stop subsistence hunting. That would change hunting as we know it.
The best suggestion.