Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Default Getting Down in fast deep pools

I was out fishing this weekend and found a nice deep pool. Had some luck nymphing it but each fish I caught (big or small) was tailed by a monster bull. He obviously wasn't taking any of my nymphs so I started chucking pretty much every streamer I had on a sink tip line. Problem was the pool was really fricken quick and I just dont think my streamers were getting down quick enough. Any suggestions? Maybe a heavier sink tip? Add split shots? I just couldn't get him to bite...I wanna go back and get him.

I guess just a general question too on how you guys typically get way down deep in the deep & fast pools with a fly rod.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 AM

I bring my type 7 full sink line for deeper pools. This worked for me this past weekend in a similar situation. Might add some split as well depending on where the bull is hiding out.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I bring my type 7 full sink line for deeper pools. This worked for me this past weekend in a similar situation. Might add some split as well depending on where the bull is hiding out.
Yeah I think I might need to just get a faster sink tip...I need to go back ASAP
Old 06-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Scientific Anglers (SA) used to have a sink tip called the Streamer Express in some heavy densities which you are looking for. Maybe Rio has something similar. And don't go with a sink tip any longer than 10 or 12 ft. On rivers the sink tip is much easier to use than a full sinking line, at least in my experience.

Also, keep the leader length to no more than about 5 ft, i.e., just use a 5 ft length of 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon; fancy tapered leaders are not needed for that situation. And of course a loop knot to attach the streamer!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Take a look here for some really good advicehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYr3dclkO8&t=7s
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Clousers on a long leader. No need for extra lines.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 PM

floating line, 10' leader and lots of split shot.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
floating line, 10' leader and lots of split shot.
Ugly to cast though and one way to put an arm out of service for a while if trying too hard; I know this from winter steelheading days on the coast.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM

Hahaha....the super long leader with split shot. It works like a charm for me. Anyone put soo much weight on they have to windmill it? Lol
Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Might as well use a spinning rod and jig to do the job right
Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Might as well use a spinning rod and jig to do the job right
Haha thought about it...but I want to get it on the fly rod...

P.S. Thanks to all for the info....I am going to get him this weekend (if he's still there)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM

And bead head on the streamer.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Stand at the head of the pool if you can and drop ur line down into the hole mend onto other currents to help get down although i bet that wasnt your problem if the bull was chasing ur fish around im sure he would have come up for the fly if he was that hungry. Also a super deadly technique when all else fails is indicators above streamers.

Last edited by Dragless; 06-27-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Default tungstun Nymphs and streamers.

You might have to make your own, I am yet to find any in Alberta, but I fiy fish, with tungsten bead headed nymphs, in new Zealand, and they work well for getting down, in deep fast water, and are much easier to cast than heavy sink tip or split shot,
Have been known to tandem rig em, a #8 stone fly, with a #12-14 hair and copper. for real deep hard to fish runs,
Also depends on water clarity, a T500 sink tip and a short 3 foot trace to a streamer, if you don't have to worry about spooking fish with the line.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Stand at the head of the pool if you can and drop ur line down into the hole mend onto other currents to help get down although i bet that wasnt your problem if the bull was chasing ur fish around im sure he would have come up for the fly if he was that hungry. Also a super deadly technique when all else fails is indicators above streamers.
You know this is the one thing I didnt try!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM

With the streamer under an indicator, am I wanting to get the streamer depth to be super close to the bottom?
I was thinking about using a balanced streamer or leech.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Hi, I doesn't think we have to fish all the way to the bottom in those kind of fast deep pool for bulls. I found they were likely to strike in the middle depth of the water. Like if the water is 10' deep, I cast my streamer into the water inflow and let it take it down to around 4' to 5' depth than fast strips, usually they hit. Fast water are usually only on the top 2' of the depth. My personal opinion is that if my streamer is below that fast water and allow me to strip, then I should catch. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Thanks upstream. That's super helpful. Made me re-think how to approach it.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 PM

Maybe try at first or last light of the day, then depth may not matter. Those big fish let their guard down at these times
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 PM

I think their whole feedimg stradgey is to wait on fish/nymphs to come tumbling over the top of the run they usually lie and wait at the bottom looking up so a few feet under the surface is the best place, often if the current is swift enough at the top of the run you can cast upstream and let ur fly tumble over . I wouldnt worry about balanced patterns if ur running an indicator because ur fly will be draging slightly behind it due to the differnt currents and it should be upright or atleast animated the whole time an un weightes streamer and 3 or 4 microshot spaced out on your leader works well use a highstick if possible .
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM

You're missing the obvious... Your nymphs aren't a large enough meal, the bull is attacking the small fish you are hooking.......success with large bulls is from big streamers getting down fast. you need a 6-8" baitfish pattern, something synthetic will sink much faster and won't hold air and you will want more than a bead head, you need to get down fast.. lead heads or fishskullz.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
You're missing the obvious... Your nymphs aren't a large enough meal, the bull is attacking the small fish you are hooking.......success with large bulls is from big streamers getting down fast. you need a 6-8" baitfish pattern, something synthetic will sink much faster and won't hold air and you will want more than a bead head, you need to get down fast.. lead heads or fishskullz.
100%

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
When I first got there I wasn't targeting bulls so that's why I was nymphing. It wasn't until he made a few appearances I started to go after him.

Funny thing was he would should up no matter what size of fish I caught. I managed a 22 inch rainbow and he was all over it, even attacked my indicator haha.

That being said I couldnt get him to take on any of my streamers, big or small. I should have clarified I was having trouble getting my streamers down deep fast not my nymphs.

I will give the lead heads or fish skullz a try. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Smile

I Just want to show off my bulls from last weekend =)
I think we all have our own way to catch them.
As long as it catch, it is a good way to fish!
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4557.jpg (49.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4545.jpg (76.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Bet they would do better if the pictures were of them in the water. Nice fish though.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Just want to clarify that they were only out of water for 10 seconds the most...
Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
Just want to clarify that they were only out of water for 10 seconds the most...
You don't have to clarify anything. It was an inappropriate comment. Great looking fish, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
You don't have to clarify anything. It was an inappropriate comment. Great looking fish, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
+1
Old 06-30-2017, 03:57 PM

These guys who trolls and preach how the fish should stay in the water when taking a photo are guilty of the same thing. There was a thread at Alberta Fly fishing Facebook of the same topic where they criticized others on how they handle fish but when you go to their Facebook photos they where doing the same thing if not worst. Pathetic !!!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
These guys who trolls and preach how the fish should stay in the water when taking a photo are guilty of the same thing. There was a thread at Alberta Fly fishing Facebook of the same topic where they criticized others on how they handle fish but when you go to their Facebook photos they where doing the same thing if not worst. Pathetic !!!
None of us learn anything if no-one comments or helps us do it better. Have I taken hero pics of fish I probably shouldn't have? Of course I have. Do I continue making the same mistakes once I have been corrected? Hopefully not. Dennisg, if you know something specific about my fish handling practices or about my internet ethics, perhaps you should rethink the kind of comments you post about me. Pathetic keyboard warrior!!