Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM

446 and or 356, they are everywhere!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
422, Smear some honey on the tailgate and set up the lawn chair. D.H.
Haha, yep.
Any 400 zone, pick any one, lot's of bear, lot's of big bears.
If I wanted to pick an easy one to hunt, no trouble finding a big one, I'd say 416
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
400, 402, 300, 302,303,306 are all overrun with grizzlys, it's just a matter of time before we , have some very serious incidents down here.
What's sad is you are so right.I just hope it's some grizzly lovers kid and not mine in my own back yard! .something needs to happen soon! People don't realize the numbers we have down here.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM

I hope it's not a kid.

Ive seen lots of g bears in the 400's south of Rocky and the province is reporting strong growth immediately north of there too.

If they reinstate I doubt I'd hunt them - but pick a major mountain valley and you'll find one.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I hope it's not a kid.

Ive seen lots of g bears in the 400's south of Rocky and the province is reporting strong growth immediately north of there too.

If they reinstate I doubt I'd hunt them - but pick a major mountain valley and you'll find one.
You're right. I hope no kids .but you know what I meant
Old 06-27-2017, 05:14 AM

356 working up here right now seen two young ones but lots of sightings of big ones.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 AM

Their are high grizz numbers in almost every WMU 300 or 400 zone. Not enough wilderness left with forest being massacurred by logging companies these days. They will need to start eating farmers cattle soon as not many moose calves left in the little bit of wilderness left in Alberta.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Their are high grizz numbers in almost every WMU 300 or 400 zone. Not enough wilderness left with forest being massacurred by logging companies these days. They will need to start eating farmers cattle soon as not many moose calves left in the little bit of wilderness left in Alberta.
Yep
And remember that they are competing with black bears, wolves, cougars, coyotes, etc. etc.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
You're right. I hope no kids .but you know what I meant
Lets think about this for a min. The apple dont fall far from the tree most times, and I cant think of a better way to get the media to run with it.😈
Sorry couldnt help it.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 AM

I would imagine when grizzlies start eating farmers calves the farmers will take care of the problem themselves.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I would imagine when grizzlies start eating farmers calves the farmers will take care of the problem themselves.
I suspect that is already happening.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

404, try and get he one that killed my buddy
Old 06-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
404, try and get he one that killed my buddy
Sorry to hear that
Old 06-27-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Yup, I'm with you on that....maybe 357 on the south side of the Wapiti, Bald Mountain to Two Lakes area isn't short on them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 AM

During the famous grizz count couple years back the area north of Grande Cache and South of GP had almost half of the estimated 800 grizz in Alberta.
Just a coincidence that the Willmore is only real wilderness left in Alberta that has not been logged and still has majority of bears. Pick your WMU from that area, but do not sleep in a tent.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I suspect that is already happening.
Nah we're not allowed.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Word on the street is you are correct and lots of farmers are shooting them. It's a shame the people in charge can't see this is going on and a lot of these critters are going to waste.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Word on the street is you are correct and lots of farmers are shooting them. It's a shame the people in charge can't see this is going on and a lot of these critters are going to waste.
Ya right. You gonna risk your farm on a grizzly bear? Some were shot down by rio grande a couple of years back. The dung storm that started after that would make one not even look at a grizz bear. Get off the streets and listen to the words spoke on the rural roads. Might give you a idea.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Ya right. You gonna risk your farm on a grizzly bear? Some were shot down by rio grande a couple of years back. The dung storm that started after that would make one not even look at a grizz bear. Get off the streets and listen to the words spoke on the rural roads. Might give you a idea.
Oh it happens. And what risk is there to your farm ? How many calves would you let get killed before shooting the bear and "possibly if caught" getting a fine for a few grand ?
Or better yet call a treaty cousin over and hammer the bear any day of the year, any time of the day, and it's all legal with your permission. Hell, shoot a few of them and send a message.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Oh it happens. And what risk is there to your farm ? How many calves would you let get killed before shooting the bear and "possibly if caught" getting a fine for a few grand ?
Or better yet call a treaty cousin over and hammer the bear any day of the year, any time of the day, and it's all legal with your permission. Hell, shoot a few of them and send a message.
Don't want any of my calves to get killed. Didn't know it was only a few thousand dollar fine if caught. I was under the impression that the repercussions were rather harsh. I would rather keep a few thousand I'd rather keep in my jeans and not be a poacher. When do you and nube want to come shoot bears? I'm sure the neighbors and myself can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Don't want any of my calves to get killed. Didn't know it was only a few thousand dollar fine if caught. I was under the impression that the repercussions were rather harsh. I would rather keep a few thousand I'd rather keep in my jeans and not be a poacher. When do you and nube want to come shoot bears? I'm sure the neighbors and myself can point you in the right direction.
Well if people can go on a killing spree while recording it and post it all over Facebook or get charged with 150 counts of trafficking wildlife because you were selling poached dear heads on EBay, I'm sure no judge is going to try and crucify some farmer that was protecting his herd.
I'd rather keep the money in my jeans too, but if these Ranchers are losing animals it's already coming out of their pockets anyway.
Me and Nube can already shoot bears over that way, just have to go another 30 miles west 😉
Old 06-28-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You're kidding right? It happens way more than you think. Some of these ranches have no access and the majority of the bears illegally shot that I have heard are from southern Alberta. Big Ranches, no access and lots of bears.
Farmers protect their livestock pretty good....
Been quite a few shot around Hinton the last few years as well but I suspect it is for different reasons and more for fun than anything. Think they caught one of them as well but I would have to look up the news article.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Default Yyuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
What's sad is you are so right.I just hope it's some grizzly lovers kid and not mine in my own back yard! .something needs to happen soon! People don't realize the numbers we have down here.
Last year was the first time I had a Griz in my back yard.

Lots around.... I expect some encounters will happen this fall.

I don't know why.... but I really want a Griz rug.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You're kidding right? It happens way more than you think. Some of these ranches have no access and the majority of the bears illegally shot that I have heard are from southern Alberta. Big Ranches, no access and lots of bears.
Farmers protect their livestock pretty good....
Been quite a few shot around Hinton the last few years as well but I suspect it is for different reasons and more for fun than anything. Think they caught one of them as well but I would have to look up the news article.
So if you know that this is happening why aren't you reporting them? Seems you are fairly knowledgeable about illegal activities. I know it happens because three were shot around Rio grande. Implying the landowners are doing this regularly is bunk.

I'm curious how you get landowners to give you permission when you seem quite willing to throw them under the bus. Pretty classy fella.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Banned

Why would anyone risk a $100,000 fine and possible jail time to purposely shoot a grizzly? Besides, are there not some programs that a farmer/rancher gets money for predator kills?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliespotter View Post
Why would anyone risk a $100,000 fine and possible jail time to purposely shoot a grizzly? Besides, are there not some programs that a farmer/rancher gets money for predator kills?
Generally yes. I'm wondering the same. I wouldn't risk it personally because generally the Fw know that the bear is in the area because someone has reported it to them. Pretty risky.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Banned

There's some good sized grizz bears running around the settled areas so have a hard time believing that farmers/ranchers are shooting them regularly. Otherwise wouldn't they be small bears and not very many of them?

I do welcome the idea of landowners being legally allowed to shoot grizzly bears as well as hunters.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Generally yes. I'm wondering the same. I wouldn't risk it personally because generally the Fw know that the bear is in the area because someone has reported it to them. Pretty risky.
Because the authorities will do everything to call it anything but a griz kill. If they see one single coyote track around a livestock carcass "nope it's coyotes, no compensation"

Here's a better question: if the government refuses to manage bears appropriately, how far do you let it go before doing something?

Even better, why are our public funds going towards a bear response team and other associated bs when a hundred or so tags would solve the problem?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Gives me an idea for a thread
Old 06-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Because the authorities will do everything to call it anything but a griz kill. If they see one single coyote track around a livestock carcass "nope it's coyotes, no compensation"

Here's a better question: if the government refuses to manage bears appropriately, how far do you let it go before doing something?

Even better, why are our public funds going towards a bear response team and other associated bs when a hundred or so tags would solve the problem?
A 100 or so tags won't solve the problem. Unless you're talking per wmu. If my memory is correct the last year of the great grizz hunt 2 tags were given in wmu 357. Friend of mine had one of the tags and shoot one that made book.