Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Seems like you hear a lot more about these records these days. Some guys become famous. I can see it now.... "range, 3300 meters" "What's the record?" "3400". "OK, let's go back a couple hundred meters and set up again." Oh calm down, I'm just joking.

3400 yards. That's not even shooting. That's advanced science and mathematics. Wow. Impressive.
What are the tank/artillery/battleship gunners opinions?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Hey, if those guys can drop a shell right on the head of a guy at 3400 yards and not 3 feet away, props to them too!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Banned

Wow impressive, anyone calculate the moa holdover at 3450m?
How fast was the bullet going?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Canadian Sniper smashes old record 3450 meters

nice shot

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...cid=spartanntp

David
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=alta270;3568313]I have no idea the calculations and consideration of variables that would go into a shot at that distance, but regardless, once again, Canadian forces rule supreme.

I think they used strelok pro. lol.
Plus I also like how the Canadians beat out the Americans by 10 meters. I wonder what they were thinking. "Let's shoot from the back of the building"
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Hey Gord, how many clicks of elevation did you say we need???

Wow, I'm not an expert by any means, so I hope someone can help us get this right. But if I plug this into my ballistics calculator and we are talking 3,450 meters to target (although mine maxes at 3000), assuming muzzle velocity of 2,850 FPS and a BC of 1.070 (I used the data for a Barnes 750 grain TAC bullet), I'm getting almost 500 ft of drop with the bullet still traveling about 900 fps at impact and over 1,500 lbs of energy. Talk about a rainbow trajectory. I imagine you would have the elevation knob cranked all the way and maybe holding the target at the very bottom of the reticle. At the 3,000 M calculation I'm getting an elevation adjustment of 63 mils. Impressive work, for sure
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Keep in mind as well that the shooter was at a way higher elevation than the target, which would play into factor as well. I saw a few different stories, the story the Canadian forces released explains it better than the paper.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Shot the tow wire of a t-33 pulling a target.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:03 AM

Default error

3540 meters
Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Thumbs up

A record that may never be broken!

Hats off to JTF2 !

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Trudeau is bringing over one less 'refugee'
Amazing shot.

ISIS does not equal refugee fortunately.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
Keep in mind as well that the shooter was at a way higher elevation than the target, which would play into factor as well. I saw a few different stories, the story the Canadian forces released explains it better than the paper.
Gotta think it is like hitting a mile long putt from uphill down fighting changing winds, gravity, air temp, air moisture content. The physics behind such a shot would be very interesting presentation.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
His skill, training, equipment put him in the ballpark, but anyone that denies that there is a good bit of luck in this....
He was aiming for the guy standing next to him.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Default More News on that lengthy shot

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...way/418889001/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22...s-fighter.html

Last edited by 30Cal; 06-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
He probably had the exact elevations of both himself and the target. Electronics these days give a big advantage compared to years ago.

Maybe zero wind. Application for air temp correction etc etc.

Nice to hear it can be done. Wonder if that was his first shot?
The round was carved out of a moose antler, dipped in a special mixture of maple syrup and Tim Hortons coffee! Ballistics defied physics!
Great shot, wonder if the video will be made public?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Even the fourth shot would be incredible
Rob Furlong by took three to kill his target how many years ago and the laser ranging, balistics systems and other related technology has advanced even further
Cat
If you can't read the mirage all the technology in the world won't help much.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Great shot, wonder if the video will be made public?
Gawd no. That would suggest that our soldiers actually killed someone. Elizabeth May would go into convulsions. Government only releases footage of soldiers handing out food or shoveling snow.

But hey, I thought our guys were over there to train and advise and would only engage if fired upon. Pretty hard to use that excuse when the enemy was two miles away.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
If you can't read the mirage all the technology in the world won't help much.
I am not sure what you are getting at because our Armed Forces snipers are among the world's best and prove it regularly in both competition and combat .
They are intensively trained in how to read a condition , but the advancement in technology has helped them extend their ranges not learning how to read mirage and other conditions better - they are already experts at that .
Cat
Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

Well said........
Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 PM

My ballistic app only goes to 3000 yards. That was was around 3800 yards. With a military 50 bmg ball round going 2800 fps at .62 g1 BC it woukd be almost 4000" or 580 feet of elevation. That's only 3000 yards. They must be using a better projectile than the current standard 661gr ball ammo. That's only 340 lbs of energy. And once again. That's only the furthest my calc would go, 3000 yards. Not 3800! Jesus mother of pearl that's amazing! Drones are closer than that when they engage tartgets!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
My ballistic app only goes to 3000 yards. That was was around 3800 yards. With a military 50 bmg ball round going 2800 fps at .62 g1 BC it woukd be almost 4000" or 580 feet of elevation. That's only 3000 yards. They must be using a better projectile than the current standard 661gr ball ammo. That's only 340 lbs of energy. And once again. That's only the furthest my calc would go, 3000 yards. Not 3800! Jesus mother of pearl that's amazing! Drones are closer than that when they engage tartgets!
I believe they are using a 750 grain Hornady A-Max w/ a 1.05 G1 BC. That should change your numbers dramatically. Still crazy.

Even if you could hold .5 MOA at that distance (which is hard to believe with all the variables) your groups would be 40 inches, bigger than a torso is wide, so even with the incredible skill I'm sure this sniper has, luck plays a role.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 PM

That's great and all, but could this be one of those "you can't believe everything you hear" stories? I would like to believe it, but all you shooters out there, specially the long range shooters know what sort of challenge that would be, and was that really the intended target? That sure would be cool, and I will throw out a koodos to the Canadian military, we seem to have a great track record at being exceptional marksman!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:25 PM

I was going to leave this in GD because it concerns our Military and World news but it seems most of the members think it should be in Guns and Ammo so here it is!
Cat
Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
That's great and all, but could this be one of those "you can't believe everything you hear" stories? I would like to believe it, but all you shooters out there, specially the long range shooters know what sort of challenge that would be, and was that really the intended target? That sure would be cool, and I will throw out a koodos to the Canadian military, we seem to have a great track record at being exceptional marksman!
It has been confirmed with eyes on the target and video as well, no hoax
Cat
Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am not sure what you are getting at because our Armed Forces snipers are among the world's best and prove it regularly in both competition and combat .
They are intensively trained in how to read a condition , but the advancement in technology has helped them extend their ranges not learning how to read mirage and other conditions better - they are already experts at that .
Cat
Not disputing the fact that our snipers are among the worlds best.
The point I was trying to make was that what separates the good snipers from the great snipers is their ability to read conditions along with other skills and a little luck.
If it was all about advanced technologies they'd all be making 3500 meter shots.
All military snipers are experts at reading conditions to 1500 meters , beyond that I would guess very few are.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:43 AM

As has been said , we dont know if it was a first, second or maybe third shot that hit its mark , but I would be inclined to think that a target wouldn't keep standing there if a first unsuccessful shot missed its mark .
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Not disputing the fact that our snipers are among the worlds best.
The point I was trying to make was that what separates the good snipers from the great snipers is their ability to read conditions along with other skills and a little luck.
If it was all about advanced technologies they'd all be making 3500 meter shots.
All military snipers are experts at reading conditions to 1500 meters , beyond that I would guess very few are.
The fact is that shots like that would be impossible to predict with earlier equipment like the the C3A1 with Unertl scope or the M82 and older ranging systems regardless of the shooter behind them
Cat
Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Default What timing

I had to laugh when a buddy sent me the news article yesterday.

We are scheduled to interview Rob Furlong on Tuesday. Should be interesting to hear what number 3 on the list, says of number 1's accomplishment.

Very interesting times for long range shooting to say the least.

Cheers.
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-23-2017, 01:46 PM

I have so many questions as someone who has extremely limited experience in longer shots - I stick to my comfort zone in the bush when hunting and I'm waiting for the conflict at CHAS to be resolved before getting into longer distance attempts.

Question: Even shooting at relatively short distances on a hot day, heat waves get the gongs dancing a bit. I'd imaging Mosul is hot this time of year. What could a shooter reasonably expect to see of their target through a scope when the weather is in the mid 30ºC range?

Question: If the distance was 3,540m and it took +/-10 second for impact, what kind of velocity would the bullet have at the point of impact?

Reason I ask is this (and I get it that a bullet's velocity diminishes as it flies) but the AVERAGE velocity from muzzle to target at 11,614 feet lateral distance is somewhere around 1160 fps. (3540m = 11,614 ft / 10 seconds flight time). I don't know what the extra distance would be given the rainbow path from muzzle to target and I realize that would have alter the above simple calculation, and that the above calculation isn't accurate but ... humour me - with what some of you more experienced long distance shooters know, what would you expect the velocity at impact to be?

This is a fascinating topic. I'm in awe of guys who can pull this stuff off.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM

nice shooting boys