Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 11:19 PM

Default how long to get your RPAL?

Ive been waiting over a month now and my references have not even been called. Kinda ticks me off
Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 PM
Banned

I think mine took about 3 months.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 PM

6 weeks to infinity!!! Met several guys who took over 18 months, it probably won't that long for you, if you already have your PAL, and you can always contact a CFO!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Banned

A month and your already whining lol mine took 3 months
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Off the start isn't there some kind of 28 day or so waiting period? Then they have to contact your references. Call the CFO to find out the status of your application. If there are questions they may just sit on it. I called this past winter when I got mine and was told that it was in the interview stage, was given a file and phone number and told to have one of my references call in to speed the process up. Then there was another issue where my app was flagged and just sitting on someone's desk. A two minute conversation cleared that up and my licence was issued - in total was about seven weeks.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Once the paper work is received they don't look at it for 45 days. Then all the other stuff starts , interviews and check etc. I just renewed mine , sent it April 16th , just got my card last week. So be patent , if everything is in order it will come ......... eventually. Just a hint I got from the CFO , email proof of your range membership and they will do your ATT at the same time. I did that and I received it with my card. Also take a look at the link here if you haven't already and you can 'follow' the status of your application. cmp.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

I wish I had better news for ya , they are slow lol .
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM

My current expired on April 6. I reapplied on February 1. Still waiting for it.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Default pal

my son and his friend did the course same day and his friend called every week to ask about the status on his application and he recieved it 2 weeks early then my son and it was about 10 weeks for him and right around 12 weeks for my son,the squeaky wheel gets the oil first lol
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Mine took exactly 45 days from when I mailed it in until I received it back in the mail. That was before they started calling references all the time.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM

I have been looking for a number to call but there are a bunch of numbers. Anyone know which is right?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Can't remember how long for my rpal but I don't think it was very long at all. Just renewed it a couple of months and it took 10 business days. Bought a pistol yesterday transfer is supposed to be completed today. I haven't checked my email yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I have been looking for a number to call but there are a bunch of numbers. Anyone know which is right?
1-800-731-4000

It's a restricted, expect nearly 50-60 days till it even has eyes on it.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Call them. 1-800-731-4000

They might be waiting for some additional/missing papers from you. Don`t tell me that you have included ALL of the required pieces....you might do it on your end, but there is another end

Just call and figure out....you might be surprised.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:57 AM

Waited about 2 months and called them, 7 days later and got it in the mail.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks guys I had a different number but got through. Basically she said they just looked at my file today. Then said it will be up till 2 weeks to call my references. I told her nicely that this was rediculous so I imagine I will have to wait another 6 months.....
She said I could have it sped up if I get my references to call them. I said no thanks I am not going to bother my friends to do the work that they should be doing.
I can't believe they are so under staffed that licensing takes this long in this country
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM

Did my renewal online on April 6, got a letter dated May 31 asking for confirmation of my range membership. Faxed that in the middle of June. Just checked the website and my license has been issued...must be in the mail somewhere.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys I had a different number but got through. Basically she said they just looked at my file today. Then said it will be up till 2 weeks to call my references. I told her nicely that this was rediculous so I imagine I will have to wait another 6 months.....
She said I could have it sped up if I get my references to call them. I said no thanks I am not going to bother my friends to do the work that they should be doing.
I can't believe they are so under staffed that licensing takes this long in this country
Wise. Insult the ones who control how long it takes or if they will even approve your application.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think you want your license very badly. She gave you the option to make it more convenient for your references, as they are able to call in at a time that suits them best. This would also speed up your application process. It seems like you want a reason to complain as opposed to being part of the solution.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Personally I would have taken them up on the offer to have your references call them. That seems to be the reason for long waits. I've heard that the RCMP often won't leave messages for the references, so they'll try again. Later of course.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Insult them or not it will take the same time and they need a kick in the arse.
And my references do not need to put it on their list of things to do either.
When they call they will give them the 2 min. conversation they need to move along.
They said it would take up to 2 weeks. It's been over a month so what's 2 more weeks....
Just noticed they charged my credit card today so I guess that is coincidence or it actually helped.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Just to put things into context, there is just under 4 million PAL holders in Canada. With a 5 year expiry, that equals 800,000 renewal a years. With a 200 day work year, that about 4000 renewals a day. This does not include new applications and revocations due to mental health and criminal activity. I am not sure on staffing numbers in New Brunswich, but they are definitely not lost for work.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 PM

Nope they wouldn't be but they also charge you enough that each person can be paid a decent wage and more staff could be hired as to not break the bank especially when at times the lack of getting it done in a timely manner can make someone illegal for waiting this long. I had no idea it takes this long and if I was to renew my normal PAL a month in advance than the expire date I would be considered illegal with my guns in their safe. Not too fair to the public you are serving is it?
If they are that backlogged then make some changes or expect to get a few phone calls about the delays..
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Did my renewal online on April 6, got a letter dated May 31 asking for confirmation of my range membership. Faxed that in the middle of June. Just checked the website and my license has been issued...must be in the mail somewhere.
I had posted up that I renewed my RPAL/NRPAL and it came in the mail within two weeks.

Honestly, I do not even remember them asking for my range membership on the online form
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Just to put things into context, there is just under 4 million PAL holders in Canada. With a 5 year expiry, that equals 800,000 renewal a years. With a 200 day work year, that about 4000 renewals a day. This does not include new applications and revocations due to mental health and criminal activity. I am not sure on staffing numbers in New Brunswich, but they are definitely not lost for work.
Good point...make the licenses good for life unless you get in trouble with the law. It's stupid to have to renew these licenses at all. Concentrate on the initial issuances.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Nope they wouldn't be but they also charge you enough that each person can be paid a decent wage and more staff could be hired as to not break the bank especially when at times the lack of getting it done in a timely manner can make someone illegal for waiting this long. I had no idea it takes this long and if I was to renew my normal PAL a month in advance than the expire date I would be considered illegal with my guns in their safe. Not too fair to the public you are serving is it?
If they are that backlogged then make some changes or expect to get a few phone calls about the delays..
What is the going rate for a new PAL or renewal?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
What is the going rate for a new PAL or renewal?
Renewal was $80 for R/NR. Good for 5 years
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM

The slow process is part of the slow process of discouraging firearms ownership.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Renewal was $80 for R/NR. Good for 5 years
$80

Let see, $20-30 for admin and business costs. $50-60 left to pay the employee. That should buy you about 1 hour at a Firearms Officer's salary. Sure hope your references answer on the 1st call. Also applicants that require more work due to recent life events..... also only pay $80. So their renewal's probably take a lot longer than yours. Are sure that outragous fee is enough to hire additional staff?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
The slow process is part of the slow process of discouraging firearms ownership.
So the folks who's jobs depend on firearms ownership are secretly trying put themselves out of a job by delaying process and discouraging firearms ownership????... OK
Old 06-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
$80

Let see, $20-30 for admin and business costs. $50-60 left to pay the employee. That should buy you about 1 hour at a Firearms Officer's salary. Sure hope your references answer on the 1st call. Also applicants that require more work due to recent life events..... also only pay $80. So their renewal's probably take a lot longer than yours. Are sure that outragous fee is enough to hire additional staff?
I was just answering the question re cost for renewal - suspect you are directing this at someone else and not asking my opinion on the cost/value....