Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Medicine lake rocky mountain house

A good friend an I are planning a quick bush trip this July and we were thinking about the medicine lake area. The plan is to stage somewhere around the campsite and head off into the bush 10-15km away from any trails or populated area. My question is, we will run into any issues taking the rifles and shooting a couple targets in that area?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:59 PM

If you are out on a long weekend, beware, the bush start to crawl with quads and sxs's in that area!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 AM

there is no such thing as 10-15 km away from trails or populated area around Medicine lake, 1 km if your lucky.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
there is no such thing as 10-15 km away from trails or populated area around Medicine lake, 1 km if your lucky.
X2
Old 06-11-2017, 04:56 AM

Lots of muskeg in that country as well if your not familiar with it.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Suspended User

It's been 20 years since that area​ was wild. We just pent a week out there, and was amazed at the destruction caused by the quads. Creeks getting rode into and banks destroyed. Gosling lake has trails into and out of.
With the amount of campers out there be extremely careful of shooting.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 PM

X2 on the safety factor with target shooting in that area, lots of pipeline and oilfield activity as well as recreational users. Double up on common sense before you pull the trigger. D.H.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Well made the trip out on the weekend but we decided to leave the guns at home. We had a great trip, hiked in about 6km from the provincial camp area and did manage to stay pretty isolated. What a disappointment to see the lack of respect for the land displayed by a group of guys on quads. There was one clown riding his quad in the lake, cat walking and spraying mud everywhere. I'm not biased against the quadding group I own a quad myself but was amazed by this groups lack of respect..... It's people like this that ruin it for the rest of us. Before you know it every area like this will be shut down just like Castle.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
Well made the trip out on the weekend but we decided to leave the guns at home. We had a great trip, hiked in about 6km from the provincial camp area and did manage to stay pretty isolated. What a disappointment to see the lack of respect for the land displayed by a group of guys on quads. There was one clown riding his quad in the lake, cat walking and spraying mud everywhere. I'm not biased against the quadding group I own a quad myself but was amazed by this groups lack of respect..... It's people like this that ruin it for the rest of us. Before you know it every area like this will be shut down just like Castle.
Sorry to hear that. Would be better if you took a photo and sent it to Report a Poacher. Not a clown, a criminal. They are actually charging folks if they get evidence.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
Did you see any animals out there? Or sign?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Yeah, on Wheels.

Grizz
Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Any time we hunted up there we either seen a huge amount of yote tracks or quadders ripping up the place scaring all the animals
Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Back in the 80's and 90's the crown areas of WMU 332 were loaded with game, moose and elk were very plentiful. It then used to be one of the most productive WMU's in the province for elk before populations exploded elsewhere. Medicine Lake/Open creek /grazing leases and the crown/farmland fringe area's were loaded. Today it's a sad state as compared to the past. I'm sure anyone with 20+ years of history would agree.
I have quaded out there a few times recently, not seeing much sign.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso891979 View Post
I think you shouldnt hunt any animal because wild animals are needed to reserve.
And I think you are on the wrong site, enjoy your short stay though...
Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Must've had some bad whiskey last night.....
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Good friend of mine experienced a fair chase 24/7 hunt in Medicine Lake couple years back. The usual quads, dune buggy, horse drives to a open pipeline with gang of shooters resulted in most animals that crossed being down. These hunts may explain the low game numbers in WMU332.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Hey any updates on the fishing there? What is the depth of the lake, should i bother bringing a fly rod?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Hey any updates on the fishing there? What is the depth of the lake, should i bother bringing a fly rod?
We were there at end of July... Bring your fly rod and some poppers... Good surface action with the pike on the edges of the weed and lily pad beds...
Old 08-30-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnVet0506 View Post
We were there at end of July... Bring your fly rod and some poppers... Good surface action with the pike on the edges of the weed and lily pad beds...
Yes Sir!