Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Default CFO approval for steel targets at gun club

Does anyone know who to speak with at the cfo to get info regarding steel targets?

Our local gun club is currently not approved for any steel.

We would like to install some gongs, but not sure what would be acceptable to them.

If it's a matter of just following the range construction guidelines and hoping for the best, I'm not sure we would want to spend the money unless we know the cfo will approve the installation.

Thanks for any help

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM

I'd take the cautious approach. Otherwise you are depending on the Chief Firearms Officer to actually be in favour of firearms. Not a wise choice IMHO.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Send a email too the Rocky and Rod Gun club as they might be able too assist you. Rocky Mountain House Alberta.

They have metal gongs from 200 too 600 yards.

3 different sizes at each spot.

Don
Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Just contact the CFO and discuss your plans with him.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks guys

Planning to phone tomorrow, just looking for any insights on actual construction of targets

I did see 260rem's thread from his range, kinda thinking that's the way to go

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Just erect some signs on the shooting range that read

" PLEASE DONT SHOOT THIS SIGN"

make these signs from thick metal,,,,,
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 PM

We just went through this at our gun range. Our gongs are not hanging any more until we get them "up to standards". Steel gongs to be hung from Rubber belting straps so that the gongs deflect down. Steel gongs to be enclosed so as to contain a deflection of 30 degrees. So basically they are in the back of a shallow tunnel. If we use rubber belting in our berms we have to cover it with sand-dirt to a certain depth to stop the bullets from deflecting off the rubber, so why do they want the gongs hung from rubber????? Some of our backers are rubber belting and they work pretty good as they are self healing but a pain to pull staples out.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:56 PM

This is an example of what we use for Handgun ...gong/discs are AR500 to prevent pitting/ disc have a downward deflect angle and are mounted on a swing pivot/ shrouds are mild steel with 3/8" top and 1/4" side panels/ exposed edges facing shooter are ground to bevel to deflect into the box/ top edge has wood to catch upward deflection/ dug into backstop with earth back end and floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM

Thank you guys, I will contact the cfo, and pass along anything I learn.

Thanks for the pics 260, I will show these to the club executive of an example of what has been approved

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
We just went through this at our gun range. Our gongs are not hanging any more until we get them "up to standards". Steel gongs to be hung from Rubber belting straps so that the gongs deflect down. Steel gongs to be enclosed so as to contain a deflection of 30 degrees. So basically they are in the back of a shallow tunnel. If we use rubber belting in our berms we have to cover it with sand-dirt to a certain depth to stop the bullets from deflecting off the rubber, so why do they want the gongs hung from rubber????? Some of our backers are rubber belting and they work pretty good as they are self healing but a pain to pull staples out.

Yeah, this is what I'm worried about. Get told something over the phone, build it, then get told to take it down or change it.

So, a shroud or a tunnel is a given I guess, but 260's range has on steel brackets? I would rather build brackets out of grader blade or something that will last so the guys aren't fixing non stop
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Its kind of tricky to know for sure what will and will not pass. The inspector that came to our range insisted on 2x4's covering anything steel but the gongs. The best way is to build it to be safe but modifyable for when the range inspector decides he dosnt like it for no reason at all.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 AM

With regard to disc thickness. We use 1\2" AR500 for distances of 100M and beyond (no steel on centerfire rifle ranges under 100M). At 100M, the disc remains serviceable (338 LM template) for a couple of years before we switch it out to greater distance if it is showing minor divots or chips. Keep in mind, that there is a fairly high volume of shooting at 100M and steel core is permitted at that distance. It is possible the lighter weight (1/2"), coupled with the deflect angle and pivot swing add to servicibility as opposed to heavier, fixed unit set-ups. I will do a pic of the back bracket weld we use to make change over/repairs easier.
At 100M, we are probably changing out discs once a month because of breaks between the weld and the bracket. It is the shock that seems to be the issue. This shortcoming does not result in damage to the unit other than the need for a reweld. We keep spares on hand which makes changeover quick. The reweld cost is just part of "maintenance". At 200M, the welds last 3-4 months, and at 300M for a minimum of a year or sometimes two.
For RimFire and Handgun, we use 1/4" AR 500 with a direct weld to the hanger. We want to keep these units as light as possible to make sure they react/swing. For RimFire, we have no steel under 50M, and for HG none under 26M. Again, there will be breakage at the welds, but no damage to the disc. The biggest issue with the close-up is that on two occassions in the past couple of years, some idiot snuck steel core onto the RF range and pierced two discs. They had to be pulled and now serve as props at Orientation. Wish the cameras could have picked it up.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Thanks fellas,
I have a call in the cfo, and am waiting on a call back

Will let you guys know what the outcome of the coversation is.

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Here is a bit more detail....for centre fire ...also showing where we get the break. Hope this s helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 02:24 PM

If u guys welded it with stick instead of wire it would last a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 PM

I thought I'd update this thread.

The CFO returned my call about a week later, and spent about 15 mins describing different ways to setup gongs. He then followed up with an email with examples of currently installed targets.....I think they were all pics from SPFG range (thanks 260)

So, we have a way forward, and hopefully something extra to shoot at on the rifle range by year end

Thanks for the help guys

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer