Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
AMVA, ASPCA, SPCA etc disagree with you. More and more, labs are being blacklisted by insurance companies. Look up stats of personal injury claims from postal workers for example. So, changes the game - is it the dog or the owner?
Link to back that up?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Link to back that up?
Like everyone else tells me, google it. Do some research.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Like everyone else tells me, google it. Do some research.
You are making the assertion. Back it up.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are making the assertion. Back it up.
This is just one link, you can research the rest.

http://www.slaw.ca/2012/01/26/your-d...-home-insurer/

It's more prevalent in the US at the moment. Canada direct and Allstate won't insure you with certain breeds like pitbull and rottweiler. Others don't care, but it'll become more prevalent in years to come with all the BSL hitting Canada - cause we all know how much insurance companies like paying out.

Surprises me that the Newfoundland is on that list.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
This is just one link, you can research the rest.

http://www.slaw.ca/2012/01/26/your-d...-home-insurer/

It's more prevalent in the US at the moment. Canada direct and Allstate won't insure you with certain breeds like pitbull and rottweiler. Others don't care, but it'll become more prevalent in years to come with all the BSL hitting Canada - cause we all know how much insurance companies like paying out.

Surprises me that the Newfoundland is on that list.
Yeah. Nope. Peer reviewed research please. Not a blog.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah. Nope. Peer reviewed research please. Not a blog.
Have keyboard, will google. Do some research, or don't. matters not to me. Call your insurance company, at least make sure they'll cover you in case of a bite. I'm tired and had a couple of drinks.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well my friend, that's where you're wrong. Ontario's and Montreal's (from what I understand) BSL focuses on the "look" of a dog, not the breed. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck - then it has to be a duck.

When labs and boxers and such gets caught up in a pitbull ban? Who in this day in age can't identify a labrador retriever? I know Animal control and cops that can't identify a dog breed. We need DNA - cause whomever is looking at these dogs can't tell a dog from a hole in the ground - and that's the average joe. That's sad reality. That concerns me.

That's like the idea of a gun being banned cause it's black.

You haven't read the legislation, the average person hasn't.
It is obvious that you have not read the legislation as well!

Breed specific legislation like you described that allows a breed to be decided by what an unqualified person thinks the dog looks like is not good law. The fact that the court chucked out the case that you linked suggests that the order was wrong. It was wrong and you should know that!

If for some reason black guns are banned as you say it does not require a color expert to verify that the gun was black. It's either black or it isn't! Some color blind person can not just say that it looked back to me.

In law facts have to be proven in court but before a charge is laid or order executed there has to be some reasonable attempt to make sure the facts are correct. That case should have ended with the registration documents being produced. No DNA required.

I think you need another cause to get all bent over.

If as a result of what I said you think there needs to be research done, please do it yourself, because I just do not buy what your selling.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Do not be too quick to judge that thought. Certain breeds of bull dogs have been repeatedly bred for certain facial characteristics to the point of not being able to breath properly. If facial characteristics can impair breathing, maybe skull characteristics can impair brain function.

Certain breeds of dogs have been so distorted by breeding that getting bred needs to be done by artificial insemination. If selective breeding has resulted in dogs that can not couple, brain squeeze may not be that far fetched.
The condition, Canine Brachycephaly, where the breeding has deformed the skull to the point of causing severe issues is a well known fact.

This bred deformation effects far more structures in the head which are not limited to the nasal cavity alone.

I know allot of owners, and dog bloggers, and opinions of unqualified veterinarians will tell you this is a myth, unfortunately, they are not qualified research scientists - so their opinion is irrelevant. My opinion is irrelevant too.

Believe whatever you want to believe.

Canine Brachycephaly effects more than just a dogs nasal skull structure, there is deformation and displacement to the brain cavity.

When looking at a dogs ability to breathe are easy to measure.

What the dog is "thinking" or how a dogs "behavior" and disposition may be effected is much harder to measure. We can't even do this in humans.

We can, however, making a determination that in severe deformation in humans consistently leads to abnormal brain function and impairment.

It stands to reason it would have the same effect on dogs as it does humans wouldn't it?

You decide. Science would say that it makes sense to reason that there would be brain impairment.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...822(17)30502-X
Old 10-23-2017, 10:07 AM

I dont know a lot about dog parks but I have raced dog teams for 15 years (retired now) and at times had over 40 dogs in my yard. I can honestly tell you that all it takes is one bitch in heat and dogs who have lived together for years will try to kill each other. Dogs roughing up dogs is dogs being dogs. Now dogs biting people is a completely other story. Bite one person and the dog should get the dirt nap. Unless of course that person was stupid enough to put their hands in a dog fight. Then the person kinda gets what they deserve. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The best way to breed aggresion towards people out of dogs is to get rid of the aggresive dogs. Im not talking breeds here, I am talking about aggressive strains within the breeds. As for breeds I do not feel one is worse than any other. Admittedly some do have higher prey drives or protection instincts bred into them but still like any other animal traits are more prevalent in strains within the breeds. A good retriever or pointer generally speaking has good retrievers for parents. A fast husky comes from fast parents. A good herding collie come from good herding parents. And a naturally aggressive dog comes from naturally aggressive parents. That being said any dog in the world can be made to bite through abuse and neglect

Breedwise I feel that the fact so many people are bit by labs and shepherds is easily explained by the shere number of labs and shepherds. Combine this with the fact that labx and shepx pups are plentiful and cheap and a lot of people that should not have a dog have a lab or shep cross. DNA testing does nothing to correct this as obviously the common breeds come out looking worse. Also i am sure that a lot of people get bit by chihuahuas and toy poodles but that is never reported.

On that topic about dog breeds and bad owners I feel that Rotties, Dobermans, Pits and dogs that look like pits attract a certain crowd that also should not own dogs. Before you linch me I know that a lot of very nice respectable people own these dogs but so do a lot of dirtbags. Not all Pity owners are buttholes but a lot of buttholes own pittys. You know the type. PB as a status symbol, thick spiked leather collar and all.

How do you solve this? No Idea but breed bans seem as sensible as gun bans. In most cases you really are blaming the hammer for driving the nail. Also we do not need more beuracracy about owning a dog. I feel that there is a place for off leash. But if you do not have total control over your dog or your dog has exibited aggresive behavior then off leash is not for you.