Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2023, 05:09 PM

Default Rode hard and put away wet.

I’m curious. I hunted in the rain/sleet last night which soaked my rifle. The barrel was taped as I always do regardless of the weather and is stainless steel. The rest of the metal is blued chromoly. Stock is synthetic.

When I got in I disassembled the complete rifle, used my wife’s hair dryer to dry what I couldn’t wipe down to make sure it was dry. Then I used Hornady One Shot cleaner to spray the trigger mechanism and all springs and pins while still in the receiver. Then I sprayed the hinge and release catch on the bottom metal. Did the same to the disassembled bolt, including the shroud/safety mechanism. The rest got a light film of frog lube that was subsequently wiped off.

The rifle was then reassembled and torqued to a pre specified amount. I will hunt with it tomorrow.

How does everyone else combat the weather on rifles?
Old 11-12-2023, 05:27 PM

Pretty much the same, if not same products. Take it down, wipe it dry, thin coat of Lucas gun oil, wipe it off. I like to run a small fan on it overnight especially on the stock, rather the blowdryer, but either or. I also make a point of making sure scope is dried, lenses cleaned.

I've had the joy of cleaning and reconditioning a rifle that a neighbor put away wet, in gun case, and left until following summer. Muzzle wasn't taped so it was a mess from tip to stern, bolt needed a rubber mallet to open. I spent 6 hours cleaning rust off.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-12-2023, 06:26 PM

Pretty well the same thing. If/when I am still in the field, I take the action out of the stock and put the action, bolt and bottom metal, all apart ion the front dash where the windshield defroster fan is and put it as hot and high it will go to dry/heat everything quickly. Has always worked and have not had rust issues.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:03 PM

If the rifle just damp I just wipe everything off and wipe it with oil and put over the vent in the bathroom. If the gun has been soaked the stock comes off and the bolt disassembled. Prior to wiping with oil.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:20 PM

After mine gets to room temperature I wipe it down and push a dry patch through it.
A light spray of G96 , wipe it off then a rag with Johnson's paste wax on everything.
Cat
Old 11-12-2023, 09:06 PM

Cerakote and stainless here. Pull bolt, wipe it down, wipe down any exposed surfaces. Put it kinda near the stove to dry out. Done. Rifle season means sleeping in a truck or tent so there’s no gun room/tools to be doing any more, and I paid for it to be weather resistant for that reason.

FYI lighter fluid is (according to Jewell) the thing to use on the trigger group. Flows through everything, flashes off but leaves just enough film to protect and lube without gunking up. Used it this year and so far so good.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:24 PM

I use lighter fluid to flush the trigger mechanism and bolt internals and G-96 for the other metal surfaces.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:32 AM

Starter fluid is better than lighter fluid (it has corrosion inhibitors) and Hornady One Shot beats them both IMO.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Starter fluid is better than lighter fluid (it has corrosion inhibitors) and Hornady One Shot beats them both IMO.
When I contacted Jewel and Triggertech, about what should be used on triggers, both told me that they use lighter fluid, so I use lighter fluid. I also use it to do the final rinse on the gas pistons, on my semi auto shotguns.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Complete disassemble would require range time to verify poi....so I just do a wipe down until the end of the season....then they get cleaned really well and put away...poi verified prior to the start of next season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2023, 08:48 AM

Learned something new here, lighter fluid.

I don't hunt with a blued rifle so I don't tear it down until the season is over. After that it's just regular cleaning with G96.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:32 PM

Johnsons paste wax on a compleyely disassembled rifle before season. If its a wood stock all wood is sealed prior to start of season then just wipe the bore after use and bring inside. We heat with a wood stove so the gun stays a ways away from the stove. I never do much past that and have never had any kind of rust issues.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Complete disassemble would require range time to verify poi....so I just do a wipe down until the end of the season....then they get cleaned really well and put away...poi verified prior to the start of next season.
Not all rifles. Glass and pillar bedded laid up fibreglass/carbon fibre/graphite stocks that are torqued properly should return to zero. We proved that this morning actually.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I contacted Jewel and Triggertech, about what should be used on triggers, both told me that they use lighter fluid, so I use lighter fluid. I also use it to do the final rinse on the gas pistons, on my semi auto shotguns.
That’s because most lighter fluid is naphtha. White gas or naphtha isn’t a bad choice because it degreases fairly well and it’s longer chain hydrocarbons evaporate cleanly. It would be easier to recommend white gas IMO and then you’ll know you’re using naphtha instead of some off the shelf lighter fluid with unknown chemical composition.

If it were mine, I would us ts321 for a lube that would flash off and leave a dry, protective lubricant behind.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:55 PM

Buy stainless
Old 11-13-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Not all rifles. Glass and pillar bedded laid up fibreglass/carbon fibre/graphite stocks that are torqued properly should return to zero. We proved that this morning actually.
Should but glad you proved it too

Old 11-13-2023, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=58thecat;4675865]Complete disassemble would require range time to verify poi....

I completely disassembled a Ruger 77 once, put it back together and took a drive around the section. Smoked four coyotes. One at 400 yards took a second shot so I guess it didn’t exactly return to zero.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Learned something new here, lighter fluid.

I don't hunt with a blued rifle so I don't tear it down until the season is over. After that it's just regular cleaning with G96.
G96, lighter fluid is highly volatile and flammable, not my idea of a good time. May as well use camp gas then, same stuff.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-13-2023, 07:43 PM

Default Boy you guys are hard core!

My 870 was in the bottom of a canoe that we almost sunk. When we got back to shore I turned it upside down to let the water drain out and the next day went back to shooting ducks with my home made shells and $50.00 shotgun!
Old 11-13-2023, 10:35 PM

I just wipe them down with a rag or paper towel, a little G69 and hang them above the wood stove in the tent, cabin or house.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
G96, lighter fluid is highly volatile and flammable, not my idea of a good time. May as well use camp gas then, same stuff.

Grizz
G 96 is great for coating metal surfaces to prevent corrosion but it is not a good idea for trigger mechanisms, as the residue will form a crud that can effect the safe performance of a trigger.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:57 AM

I can honestly say I’ve never lubricated a trigger. Occasionally I will blow them out with compressed air and that’s it.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:42 AM

Stuff like this is great for parts you don’t want a build up of “gack” on.
Degrease with something like brake parts cleaner, then just give a quick squirt of dry Teflon lube.

https://www.remington.com/gun-care/c.../29-18396.html

http://crc-canada.ca/dry-ptfe-lube-284-grams.html

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...-0381589p.html

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2023, 09:49 AM

CRC contact cleaner is good as well.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
CRC contact cleaner is good as well.
Good for cleaning, but any cleaner that strips all oils and leaves no residue, does absolutely nothing to prevent corrosion. Ideally, you want to clean a trigger mechanism, and leave a very slight residue that delays corrosion, but doesn't gather dust.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:12 PM

As I mentioned upthread, TS321 is what I use for a protective lubricant. It’s probably like nothing you’ve ever used. My primary use for it is on bearings used in saltwater and it’s exemplary for that purpose.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:25 PM

Just be warned that any additive has the potential to attract crud, dirt etc and can be detrimental so that being said a little dab will do ya.
Toss in fluctuating temps well it could just not be your day when it’s go time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk