Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Pine Coulee turned into a lake that produces trout with regulations that likel
Yes, I want a lake close to Calgary where I can catch trophy trout. 68 74.73%
No, I don’t want it to be a trophy trout lake. 13 14.29%
I dont care. 10 10.99%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Pine Coulee-quality stocked (trout) fishery poll

Hi guys,
after seeing the government is going towards testing rainbow trout stocking in Pine Coulee, I have to ask if there is interest in looking into making it a quality stocked trout fishery?

We dont have any quality stocked trout fisheries south of Calgary to speak of, and it looks to have excellent potential with depth and available forage. With Chain lakes already there as a put and take trout lake, I think the need and interest in a quality stocked trout lake is here right in front of our noses at Pine Coulee.

With the addition of an aerator, I think it could be an excellent legacy project for government.

I would like to submit this poll for the government to consider.

Last edited by foothillzman; 11-18-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Should not be a trout fishery at all in my opinion but I don’t enjoy fishing for stockies.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Should not be a trout fishery at all in my opinion but I don’t enjoy fishing for stockies.
not even if they are 10 lbs?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillzman View Post
not even if they are 10 lbs?
Nope but I also believe stocked fisheries that don’t reproduce are a waste of resources that would be better spent creating sustainable fisheries

Caught lots of big wild trout in my life no interest in a stocked pond for false trophies
Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Seeing that Chain us just over the porcupines from there i would say yes. manage it for big. Since the walleyes were a big fail and creating a simple pike/perch/whitefish fishery seems to be off the table, i can't imagine there is any "natural" option that would actually end up being self sustaining.

I'll take stocked trout over nothing.

I know it's primary reason for irrigation but you would think you could do some designing of spawning habitat, when these go in.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Nope but I also believe stocked fisheries that don’t reproduce are a waste of resources that would be better spent creating sustainable fisheries

Caught lots of big wild trout in my life no interest in a stocked pond for false trophies
I appreciate your point of view. I used to have a similar view myself, and I wish I could still join ya in that perspective, as wilderness rivers are sacred, but I am not convinced that the wild fisheries are going to make it long-term.

I think if we want to catch large trout, unfortunately the future will be quality stocked lakes that have the ability to over Winter (and Summer) trout.

I’d love nothing more than our beautiful wild trout to prove me wrong.

all the best
Adam
Old 11-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Trout would be good IF they get all the walleye and pike out of there otherwise they’ll just be feeding them. If they were to stick a hundred thousand or so trout and make it minimum 12 inch there would be some nice ones there in a short period of time. It’s kinda nice that it’s a good sized lake so it has potential for a trophy fishery along with bringing a few home for the pot
Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillzman View Post
I appreciate your point of view. I used to have a similar view myself, and I wish I could still join ya in that perspective, as wilderness rivers are sacred, but I am not convinced that the wild fisheries are going to make it long-term.

I think if we want to catch large trout, unfortunately the future will be quality stocked lakes that have the ability to over Winter (and Summer) trout.

I’d love nothing more than our beautiful wild trout to prove me wrong.

all the best
Adam
We all have our opinions and views on what we want to experience for our fishing and that does not mean anyone is right or wrong. Just because it’s not for me does not mean I can’t respect why others enjoy it

Personally I fish out side of Alberta as well and those trout fisheries are under no threat. Also in my opinion there is plenty of over looked quality fishing in Alberta as well some it’s just people don’t take the time to figure them out

It’s going to become a stocked trout fishery either way I won’t fish it but I bet many others will enjoy it