Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Fryers - Opinions Wanted

Did some searching, still not sure what to do. Looking for a fryer, want to do fries, wings, maybe a turkey someday and have a few questions.

- I started looking at electric tabletop fryers then thought what about a turkey fryer and get a smaller pot as well for fish and chips, etc., anyone use one for that?

- also would like to tee it off my BBQ on the natural gas line, anyone convert their turkey fryer to NG?

Any opinions welcome, don't want to have a bunch of fryers, would like a good one to do it all if possible.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

I have the TFal Ultimate Easy Clean Fryer, I’ve had it 6 or 7 years and It’s been flawless, bought it from Costco.
Not something you can cook a turkey in but it does have a large enough basket for most other things. Pretty well the whole thing can go in the dishwasher and it strains the oil and puts it back into a Tupperware type of container for you automatically.

As for the large fryers like for your turkey and that, I don’t have one but have done it with friends. I’m not sure converting to natural gas for a turkey fryer is a great idea as you want that thing well away from your house.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Don't fry a turkey on your deck, keep it a long way away from the house

Some turkey fails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSI79ZftCpU
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I have the TFal Ultimate Easy Clean Fryer, I’ve had it 6 or 7 years and It’s been flawless, bought it from Costco.
Not something you can cook a turkey in but it does have a large enough basket for most other things. Pretty well the whole thing can go in the dishwasher and it strains the oil and puts it back into a Tupperware type of container for you automatically.
X2 works great for those smaller items wings, fish, fries, shrimp, etc.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

Some turkey fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

As for the large fryers like for your turkey and that, I don’t have one but have done it with friends. I’m not sure converting to natural gas for a turkey fryer is a great idea as you want that thing well away from your house.
First off, I own a turkey fryer.

The instructions SPECIFICALLY SAY NOT TO:

- Deep fry a frozen turkey
- Deep fry a wet turkey
- Drop in a turkey, but to slowly lower it in to avoid overflow

Those youtube videos are all going against the above 3 points.

I don't have my turkey fryer converted over to NG. I've fried just inside my large garage door on account of wind. Have never had an explosion like shown on the videos. I've deep fried Scotch Eggs in my fryer and they turned out fantastic.

"Common sense" works well when dealing with a fryer.

J.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 PM

I had a turkey fryer did a couple turkeys, threw out the burner think the regulator or timer was pooched. Use a smaller aluminum pot and strainer on my 3 burner camp stove now. Does everything I want it to...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

Some turkey fails

They banned lawn darts but not these things...gotta keep the Darwin awards alive.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM

I have this fryer from Peavey Mart $34.99 and so does my dad and a buddy. We had 3 of them going on propane cook stoves on a recent camping trip we did 4 boxes of Costco wings (500 wings) for wing night one night and we did a fish (walleye) and fries one night. They work awesome. Only need about 2-3 litres of oil in them and can cook about 25-30 wings at a time easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
X3, works great for everything but a turkey. Strains the oil into the container as well so you always have clean re-useable oil for the next fry. Easy to clean as mentioned already.....
Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I had an Easy clean. I would maybe give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. I had one, loved the concept. I have no idea how or why, and kept trying to figure out the source, to no avail. It kept leaking oil out of somewhere, very slowly. I now have a solid stainless steel fryer. A bit more work to clean out, but I like it better, as it's not slowly wizzing grease on my counter....