Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
Sounds like quite a few are liking the BMWs. Might have to go take a look at them
A great price, these will take you about anywhere!

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-alberta/bmw-...0l9003?dc=true

Old 07-10-2019, 11:11 AM

So if i ride a Harley I must be missing a chromosone like most Harley guys you say. You do not like Harley guys or certain types of women. You must be special.
I do not mind metric bikes, to each their own. I would like to try one of them Suzuki's (Hayabusa) just to experience that crazy speed and power. As I was growing I started with motocross, evolved into street with a number of different bikes including metric and Harley's. I guess I am old.
I guess I like Harly's because of the brotherhood more than anything. Check with your Uncle Husty he knows!

Harley riders ride with pride. Men and women.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
So if i ride a Harley I must be missing a chromosone like most Harley guys you say. You do not like Harley guys or certain types of women. You must be special.
I do not mind metric bikes, to each their own. I would like to try one of them Suzuki's (Hayabusa) just to experience that crazy speed and power. As I was growing I started with motocross, evolved into street with a number of different bikes including metric and Harley's. I guess I am old.
I guess I like Harly's because of the brotherhood more than anything. Check with your Uncle Husty he knows!

Harley riders ride with pride. Men and women.

How open of you!

Sorry lol, had to. Not judging or anything lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
What?? No Harley guys here , it figures. I ride a Road Glide. Why? They handle great, ABS brakes, cruise control and a list of other improvements over the years. They are the sexiest bikes out there. Chicks dig-em! NUFF SAID!
They do make a pretty nice bike for sure, what I want to know is why does every Harley rider have to dress up like Halloween, I love the face mask bandannas and all the tassels and patches, god I laugh at that.......
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Only way to really know is to own one for a while. Buy a good low mileage used one, there are lots in Alberta because of our short riding season. Ride it a year, buy a different one over the winter, sell the previous one in the spring.

Keep a detailed log on each bike for where traveled, likes, dislikes, running costs, repairs etc. As much detail as you can put together. Do that for about ten or 15 years running you will have your own extensive data base and a whole bunch of fun riding different makes of bikes. You will also have a retirement career selling bikes if you want to cause you will easily be able to tell people first hand what fits best for the type of riding they want to do.

Buying in the fall/winter and selling in spring you can own the bike for next to nothing, should even be able to make a few bucks on most of them. It is well worth the little bit of work doing the buying and selling for the variety of experiences. Best of luck.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Will head to the city this weekend to take a look and get a feel for a couple different styles of bike
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
They do make a pretty nice bike for sure, what I want to know is why does every Harley rider have to dress up like Halloween, I love the face mask bandannas and all the tassels and patches, god I laugh at that.......
Because it's part of the image, Many wear cheap crappy helmets that are next to worthless, most do not wear protective gloves or protective jackets or pants, because they aren't cool.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
How open of you!

I see what you did there Ken, how clever.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
How open of you!

Good one!!!. Never thought I would see LGQBTYZAEIOU and sometimes Y become a thang with Harley riders.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
How open of you!

And when riding with pride, are the assless chaps the proper attire?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Wow some of you guys are like a pack of yappy little dogs. 20000 posts, get a life. Thats it I give up..
Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM

my piece of advice buy the bike that speaks to your soul your going to be riding it no one else its yours it doesn't matter what the other guys like or hates its what you want and like I ride a 06 sportster and a 2018 heritage and I love them both
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyP View Post
my piece of advice buy the bike that speaks to your soul your going to be riding it no one else its yours it doesn't matter what the other guys like or hates its what you want and like I ride a 06 sportster and a 2018 heritage and I love them both
Exactly!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Wow some of you guys are like a pack of yappy little dogs. 20000 posts, get a life. Thats it I give up..
funny enough, there can be even more, let's call it passion, with bike guys then with the Ford Chevy Dodge diesel crowds......

I like em all, I like them different. There's probably a model from every manufacture that I'd love to own. From being rare, or performance or just plain cool.

If I had money burning hole in my pocket, I'd pick up this hooligan for ripping around the city. Indian FTR1200. Reviews have been excellent

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200/

Current ride is an older Kawi Versys 650 that I'm trying to make more "off road" worthy. For the money those Kawi 650s are hard to beat as well...... it's all about how you ride, where you ride and how you want to feel and look and sound. Different strokes for different folks..... I'm fond of "two" myself.

That being said I still enjoy making fun of everyone!! The sportbike boy racer guys, the sportbike guys that get all cramped up touring. The Beamer GS & KTM guys that think they can actually get off the beaten track. The Harley guys just because, the metric cruiser guys trying to be Harley guys and on and on............... even myself!............... except the guys on old Knuckleheads or airhead Beamers or twosmoke jap bikes or any old brit bike as you're riding purely for passion. As they all need regular wrenching, and certainly don't perform like a modern bike so good on ya.......
Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 PM

A bike is like a fine rifle. Choose the one that fits you and your needs. Image is for fools. I ride a Kawi Nomad 1600. Because it fits me and my needs. To big for around town. Shoulda never sold my 500 Veraigo. Maybe build a bobber
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Great point Rickey. Took me a while to land on my DR650 but it does what I need.. Almost regret not getting a DRZ400 Supermoto and getting a second set of rims for the dirt. Half the battle is finding what you like to ride then getting the bike for the job. Took me going from dirtbikes->Suzuki Boulevard->TW200->DR650 to find what I actually love to ride... a big asz single cylinder 650cc thumper but I still want a real dirtbike.

I think Adventure Bikes need more attention, they really are the jack of all trades in the biking world. Good power, good handling, great ergos, seating position higher than cars=good on road visibility, and can put the miles on. Not the best looking bikes but can look good IMO. BMW FS800/1200, KTM 690/1090, Suzuki Versus, Triumph Tiger, etc.

Last edited by Husty; 07-10-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
In the very first post, the OP stated, that he was being talked into a cruiser, as if a cruiser was not his choice.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
I think it’s the same reason that so many cyclists dress like they’re competing in the Tour De France when merely riding to their office job or out for a leisure ride. Same goes for the gun show attendees who show up in full camo at the Stampede grounds just adjacent downtown in the middle of a city of 1.35 million people. Everyone flies their various team logos, etc but at times it becomes a bit much when it’s beaten to death and becomes cliche. With Harley’s there’s both the actual biker gang types (the minority) but also the Hell’s Managers / Hell’s Realtors contingent who play dress up (the majority). Do Harley’s even start unless you’re wearing one or more items of HD branded clothes & accessories, are there proximity sensors in the ignition systems tied to RFID tags in the clothes?
Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now.
Just curious, but who is talking you into this?

My money is on you are convincing yourself you need a different bike.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Rode an electriglide, and street glide. Both were decent bikes.... now on a Yamaha fjr 1300 sport/tour. very comfortable and power too boot!!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Those New Honda Gold-wings look great. Awesome power, comfort.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM

No one mentioned the Dodge Tomahawk motorcycle. Be nice to take for a quick spin. Doesn't look to comfy though.

Does anyone ride Victory motorcycles? Nice looking touring bikes.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
No one mentioned the Dodge Tomahawk motorcycle. Be nice to take for a quick spin. Doesn't look to comfy though.

Does anyone ride Victory motorcycles? Nice looking touring bikes.
Had not heard of that one so looked it up. Talk about a back ache, not to mention the heat stroke from the engine heat.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Had not heard of that one so looked it up. Talk about a back ache, not to mention the heat stroke from the engine heat.
But at 400 miles an hour you can cool off real good. And at that speed bugs don't stick either.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

My money is on you are convincing yourself you need a different bike.
That's probably it lol. As well as working with a bunch of guys that ride harleys
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM

I have a modern triumph Bonneville and though it is a nice bike and most every time I'm out on it I get compliments. Its just not a highway bike, in these southern alberta winds I get pushed all over the road with it. I recently added a dart flyscreen and that take took some of the wind off your chest, but I think that the bike is just not heavy enough (500#'s) to stay planted in the wind. But it is fun on in town comfortable enough for 20 min rides and enough power to be a hooligan on when you want it.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I have a modern triumph Bonneville and though it is a nice bike and most every time I'm out on it I get compliments. Its just not a highway bike, in these southern alberta winds I get pushed all over the road with it. I recently added a dart flyscreen and that take took some of the wind off your chest, but I think that the bike is just not heavy enough (500#'s) to stay planted in the wind. But it is fun on in town comfortable enough for 20 min rides and enough power to be a hooligan on when you want it.
It's not so much about weight, My BMW is over 100lbs lighter than my Harley was, and my BMW is much less effected by the wind, because of superior design.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think it’s the same reason that so many cyclists dress like they’re competing in the Tour De France when merely riding to their office job or out for a leisure ride. Same goes for the gun show attendees who show up in full camo at the Stampede grounds just adjacent downtown in the middle of a city of 1.35 million people. Everyone flies their various team logos, etc but at times it becomes a bit much when it’s beaten to death and becomes cliche. With Harley’s there’s both the actual biker gang types (the minority) but also the Hell’s Managers / Hell’s Realtors contingent who play dress up (the majority). Do Harley’s even start unless you’re wearing one or more items of HD branded clothes & accessories, are there proximity sensors in the ignition systems tied to RFID tags in the clothes?
^This and you forgot about the NASCAB fans dressed in the wannabee gear
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's not so much about weight, My BMW is over 100lbs lighter than my Harley was, and my BMW is much less effected by the wind, because of superior design.
So what exactly is so much superior in design that you don't feel the wind push you around as much? Really curious as to this.

The worst bike I've rode in the wind was a Suzuki V Strom. It was my wife's bike. My buddy borrowed it and the 2 of us took off riding. At the time I was riding a Susuki M90, a cruiser. We swapped bikes after a while, I was on the V Strom , weather changed and got into some heavy gusting winds. It was all I could do at times to keep the bike on the road in corners at times.We stopped for gas and I said the winds were really bad. He looked at me and said what wind? We swapped back and he realized what wind I was talking about. On the heavier lower bike the wind wasn't as bad to deal with.

I really don't like taller bikes after that experience. I want to have lower center of gravity. Being able to swap bikes in the same weather conditions was a real eye opener for me.

Ride a Harley Ultra Classic now and really like the bike. Fits me well and I find it very comfortable.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
So what exactly is so much superior in design that you don't feel the wind push you around as much? Really curious as to this.

The worst bike I've rode in the wind was a Suzuki V Strom. It was my wife's bike. My buddy borrowed it and the 2 of us took off riding. At the time I was riding a Susuki M90, a cruiser. We swapped bikes after a while, I was on the V Strom , weather changed and got into some heavy gusting winds. It was all I could do at times to keep the bike on the road in corners at times.We stopped for gas and I said the winds were really bad. He looked at me and said what wind? We swapped back and he realized what wind I was talking about. On the heavier lower bike the wind wasn't as bad to deal with.

I really don't like taller bikes after that experience. I want to have lower center of gravity. Being able to swap bikes in the same weather conditions was a real eye opener for me.

Ride a Harley Ultra Classic now and really like the bike. Fits me well and I find it very comfortable.
Aerodynamics, a properly designed fairing cuts through the wind, and you don't get buffeted around. A big slab fairing /windshield gets tossed around in the wind. My sport/touring bike was designed for high speed touring, so the fairing and body work, and even the luggage is designed for superior aerodynamics. Cruisers aren't as aerodynamic , and the adventure bikes are worse, being tall with a slab windshield and luggage.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-10-2019 at 09:08 PM.