Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Hardwood floor refinishing

Anyone get theirs done recently?

Does one need to completely vacate? Don't want to move the cats out. They could live in the basement during refinishing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-01-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Anyone get theirs done recently?

Does one need to completely vacate? Don't want to move the cats out. They could live in the basement during refinishing.
In our last home we had ours done before we moved in. They poly-ed off the areas they were doing for dust, but the fumes were out of this world. I can't see living in there during the process. Good news is it was a short period of time.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:58 PM

I am currently house dog sitting at my sister's while she is getting her upstairs done while they are away. I am staying down stairs.

Everything has to be off the floor. They hired a company claiming dustless said it was dustless and I am impressed; it almost is completely dust free. A very little bit is visible on high gloss surfaces but that about it. But as SNS says, the fumes are crazy. There is two doors closed (top and bottom of stairs), Windows ooen upstairs and I still have to have my window open during application and a few hours after. Not a big deal as she lives in Vancouver so not too cold. I just grab the dog and go to the beach for a few hours. With windows wide open it gone by time I get home
Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Generally the process needs customers out of the immediate work area.
If that means your cut off from bedrooms we usually can time it so you can get in each day by dinner time.
Can't have pets roaming around through sanding and finishing so they either hang out in furnace room or ship them out.They cannot be allowed to escape into work area.
Most products are low VOC so fumes are not too bad. All products we use dry super quick.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Used gymnasium finish on mine when I did did it. Sent wife and kids to parents, slept in basement. Got up early and applied a coat then cranked the heat and went to work for the day. Get home after work and open all the windows but was still very strong smell. Did 3 coats over 3 days. took 2 weeks for the odour to go away to where it wasn't noticeable , but the finish wears like nails. They have water based stain now which is supposed to be less smelly and quite durable.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Will be doing mine with fiberglass.
https://epoxyworks.com/index.php/get...rglass-finish/
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 AM

I have done my living room twice over 15 years . just use semi gloss and not high gloss. The guys at home depo in the rental department can set you up with everything you need. They will sell you more sandpaper than you need, buy even more as you can return what you don't need .
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 AM

We had the main level hardwood (real actual wood) redone due to a water leak. We elected to move out for a week as was suggested by application / sanding folks. It was supposed to be dustless, but it really isn't. we were glad we were not around for the process.