Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Baiting Coyotes.

Throughout last trapping season I had a couple of bushes where I wasn't catching alot of coyotes. I took 4 out, then there was no traffic for a couple weeks. Being a new trapper and just starting out in December I never had a bait site or baited prior to setting up. Even when I did, the bait froze or it got snowed in. Alot of by buddies told me that my problem was i never baited prior to setting up or I need to do it more. It didnt make sense because I added 50 pounds of bait weekly to some spots.. I'd like to open a conversation where people share their baiting stories and basically does and don'ts. How long before trapping season do u recommend going in and start baiting?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:12 PM

I put bait out and set snares the same time ...you want to make sure you have bait there continuously to keep the birds working ..yotes will follow the birds and vise versa
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM

To run a good bait you nee lots of birds. Basically you feed birds not coyotes. This take a lot of bait and stuff the birds like. A truckload heaping per week or week and a half is my moto and you should be getting roughly 25-35 coyotes off a bait in a season. At least that is what I have found in my area.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:55 AM

I hear the lots of birds stuff all the time and tho I have magpies in mine quite a bit I gotta say that they never clean up all the carcass( road kill deer ) ..had a bait last with 35 catches and bait lasted entire season, but then again we never had a coyote make it to the bait

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Ravens are key. Magpies are good but when you get a bunch of ravens making racket the yotes come running.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:55 PM
AO Sponsor

I hate ravens. I wish they would all drop dead.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 PM

You need ravens and crows more so than magpies. Magpies don't make as much of a ruckus
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Looks like I'll have to import some ravens ..magpies is what we have most of

Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Looks like I'll have to import some ravens ..magpies is what we have most of

Yes on the prairies with not much for trees around I get that. I have a friend who baits in country like that and he doesn't do near as well a I do. He can't get much of a ruckus from squawkers at his baits.
I will have as few as 20 ravens or crows on my bait when I drive up.
Have you ever been in bush country and seen a flock of ravens jump up from a kill site? Most guys have and it always perks your interest in what is going on and you go investigate. Imagine what a coyote thinks when he can hear and see that party going on from a mile or 2 away!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yes on the prairies with not much for trees around I get that. I have a friend who baits in country like that and he doesn't do near as well a I do. He can't get much of a ruckus from squawkers at his baits.
I will have as few as 20 ravens or crows on my bait when I drive up.
Have you ever been in bush country and seen a flock of ravens jump up from a kill site? Most guys have and it always perks your interest in what is going on and you go investigate. Imagine what a coyote thinks when he can hear and see that party going on from a mile or 2 away!
Ya I get the point about birds helping out .. but I think scent dispersal is likely just as important . I dont think alot of ravens travel to and from baits at night . My closest bait to a yard is 3 miles and that dog is old and doesnt travel .
Old 07-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Ya I get the point about birds helping out .. but I think scent dispersal is likely just as important . I dont think alot of ravens travel to and from baits at night . My closest bait to a yard is 3 miles and that dog is old and doesnt travel .
I think it is different in the south as well even for scent. You guys get warm weather during winter at times and I think it helps. Further north it freezes and stays frozen. I know when it is -20's or -30's there isn't much scent at all till things warm up. Also full carcasses are frozen solid and can sit there for along time because they are not getting opened up and no scent is getting out. Just some things I have noticed talking to people and what I see works and what doesn't. I know when I find a fresh roadkill in real cold weather and cut the guts open the birds and the predators smash a bait and that only lasts for a couple few days till it freezes up then it slows right down
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I think it is different in the south as well even for scent. You guys get warm weather during winter at times and I think it helps. Further north it freezes and stays frozen. I know when it is -20's or -30's there isn't much scent at all till things warm up. Also full carcasses are frozen solid and can sit there for along time because they are not getting opened up and no scent is getting out. Just some things I have noticed talking to people and what I see works and what doesn't. I know when I find a fresh roadkill in real cold weather and cut the guts open the birds and the predators smash a bait and that only lasts for a couple few days till it freezes up then it slows right down
Yes sir , open it up and let the stink out .. doesnt hurt to dump a little skunk scent around either , it works well .
Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 AM

How far from yard sites do you guys set your baits?
I would love to do it but fear catching a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 10:59 PM

All this talk, this going back and forth has been very insightful. Thanks alot! U guys keep the trapping community alive.. I hope everyone learned a little. Baiting is important. And there are definitely some right and wrong ways to do it. Everyone seems to have their own little tricks. I'll figure out what works for me this season and stick to it.. I'll take everything u guys said and talked about and basically keep in the back of my mind as I get out their after harvest.. Thanks again. Can't wait for trapping/hunting season. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Coyote hunting sounds fun