Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Mystery ranch packs or other

Hi there, somewhat new here. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the new mystery ranch guide light frames. Have been humming and hawing over the Pinter and cabinet, for myself those are the more affordable options (still might have to sell an organ to get one) would love a stone glacier or kifaru but those are out of the question. If anyone has experience they could share it would be appreciated, as well as comparable external frame packs I'm all ears, thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 PM

You could look at the outdoor alpz commander pack/frame. Its a good pack for the price. Only real complaint would be the stupid little rings. Sorry i dont have expireance with the others you mentioned.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM

I've used the Mystery Ranch Longbow for several years. Just recently I've switched to the Pintler with the Guide Lite frame. I like the frame. The pack is comfortable and carries a lot of weight well. Great pack.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 PM

No experience with the MR packs but I have packed a lot on my back many times and I'm looking to replace my current Osprey Argon 85. I'm not considering the MR packs because they are just too heavy and overbuilt. It's a 3-5lb penalty for the sake of extreme durability. You're (I assume) not JTF2 on your second tour of Afghanistan. It takes me years of hard use to wear out a pack. I retired my first pack after 15 yrs and only thinking about replacing the current one after another 13yrs of use.

I hear you on the Kifaru and SG packs - I'd take a look at Kuiu icon series. For packing meat out of the backcountry, a load shelf beats even a quality load hauler like my Osprey.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:51 AM

I've used the Mystery Ranch Longbow and Dragon Slayer packs, both excellent packs and high quality. I just switched to a Kifaru for this year, so we will see how it does. I wouldn't hesitate on a MR pack, they are top end but you will just have to make sure it fits you otherwise it will be he worst pack you've ever bought.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM

I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler. Tough as nails, great quality and comfortable. The top flap is kind of annoying as it doesn't stay open so you are always using one hand to hold it. It does't stand upright and always falls over which bugs me too. Also wish there was a few more zippered compartments. lol but I am needy, other than that it's a solid bag, holds quite a bit. Jimbows has them in stock if you want to check them out.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM

I have a MR Metcalf, love it. But I think the frame is a Nice frame.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM

I've got the Marshall and it's an awesome pack. I haven't packed an animal out with it yet but from the weight I've carried I have zero complaints. The extra pound or two only results in comfort and durability. 50+ lbs can feel a lot different in a comfortable "too heavy" pack vs an "ultralight" pack, as not all bags carry weight the same. I would strongly recommend going and trying them on, and see how it feels/fits. MR has solid customer service too, so if you have any questions I'd email them. That's what I did. I was talking to them a month ago and they're going to be selling a select few bags (not sure which ones exactly) separately next year so if you decide you want to get a bigger bag later down the road you'll have that option too. Good luck with the search!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated definitely helps with the decisions pretty well set on MR as jimbows has them stocked as noted before. Not sure if I could purchase an integral item without trying it on first.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have the bighorn which has an internal frame but non the less it is built solid and carries weight well. Will probably upgrade to the Pintler or something similar next year. I like the idea of an external frame and have a load shelf.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 PM

I have a MR cabinet now, and have had the kuiu icon pro and an eberlestock j107 (with aluminum internal stays). The kuiu was nice and light, but cannot take the load of a elk 1/4 nearly as well as either the MR or J107. The Cabinet is under a pound more that the icon with the 1850 bag attached, and handles weight much better. The kuiu is a great pack up to about 75 pounds, after that it doesn't handle weight well.
The eberlestock is a 8 1/2 pound pack empty, and fits me the best out of the three, but it is a much heavier pack to start with. Although I packed 117 pounds out with it and no sore spots on the shoulders or hips (maybe my legs burned enough to hide it??!)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM

If you are looking to check out Mystery Ranch packs in person Crown Surplus in Calgary has them.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 PM

bullpac has realy good reviews