Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Default CR railroad runs through Private land

Stuck up at work today, but its not keeping me from playing around with my maps and apps figuring out the best plan of attack for the next three weeks off and chasing my Bull Moose tag.

I have an idea of where I would like to get into, I know its remote but it will be a new spot to try and get into.

The CN railroad runs along the edge of where I need to get too between some crown land and grazing lease. I know in the morning I can walk it or in the afternoon I might be able to quad back in there on that line to get to where I am wanting to scout and hunt.

The little dilemma (at least I think its little) is the fact that the rail road does run through 1 quarter section of private land. I am wondering if anyone has followed the rail line before to get into some of there remote locations? and if they have what should I do if it crosses private land?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, hope those that managed to get out today had an awesome morning!
-ZH
Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 PM

First thing is make sure it's an active railway ROW....many have been abandoned and sold back to the landowners, even though they still may show up on aerial photography.

If it is active, a phone call to the CN office would be advised to make sure.
Back i the day, we used to upland bird hunt RR RsOW all the time without permission, but not sure if that still goes.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:13 PM

My experience with railways is that they are pretty touchy about trespassers and are unlikely to allow you walk on their line.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM

FWIW, rail line right of ways are not the same as road allowances. They are usually leased or owned by the rail company. While many do use rail lines to access other property, the rail company could restrict access if they wished to.

Abandoned rail lines are often leased or given back to the adjoining property owner and permission is then needed from the property occupant to access.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
My experience with railways is that they are pretty touchy about trespassers and are unlikely to allow you walk on their line.
Yup, it's definitely worth a call to see if the line is active, but I believe the policy is if you're within 50' of either side, you're trespassing.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
Yup, and they have their own cops to enforce it.

Grizz
Old 11-01-2016, 05:16 PM

I may have bit off more then I can chew looking at the map I have found another way I can get back there.

Thanks for the Info everyone!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter11 View Post
I may have bit off more then I can chew looking at the map I have found another way I can get back there.

Thanks for the Info everyone!
By all means I'd check it out with the railway anyways, it might be worth it. It's also likely that the railway was there before the land was ever private so personally I'd assume they have final authority on granting you access via that route over the neighboring landowners.