Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What side of the fence are you on is it about safety or telling who's on your land?
I don't think I'm never scoped I just know im alot harder to spot without blaze orange on. "Stealth mode" is a silly term for non blaze orange hunting gear.
No fence sitting,,, I want to know if and where hunters are on my land when I go out to hunt myself. Orange makes that task much easier,,,,

And idiots are idiots,,, Scoping is one thing, but pulling the trigger worries me more,,,but even an idiot is unlikely to pull the trigger on movement in the bush that has orange attached to it.

I am far more worried about the idiot who pulls the trigger on movement becuz it is not wearing orange and looks to be the right shape and size for a moose facing forward or away.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
No fence sitting,,, I want to know if and where hunters are on my land when I go out to hunt myself. Orange makes that task much easier,,,,

And idiots are idiots,,, Scoping is one thing, but pulling the trigger worries me more,,,but even an idiot is unlikely to pull the trigger on movement in the bush that has orange attached to it.

I am far more worried about the idiot who pulls the trigger on movement becuz it is not wearing orange and looks to be the right shape and size for a moose facing forward or away.
I worry about any idiot that points a firearm at an object that they don't intend to shoot. And I actually worry more about the idiot that points a firearm at the orange object that they know is a human. If a person is so stupid as to point a firearm at something that they know to be a human, that person is clueless enough to accidentally discharge the firearm.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:57 AM

Interesting read.

http://www.huntersafetylab.com/hunting-accidents/
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Very interesting read thanks.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Took a quick read of the link. I note it is a commercial site advertising for a product called Iris.

IHEA accident data from the US in 1999,2000,2001 (subsequent records do not list whether orange was worn) indicate that roughly half of victims of non-self-inflicted hunting accidents were wearing blaze orange when they were mistakenly shot.

But then it says...

Wear bright clothing that contrasts with the environment.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I guess its more of a personal thing. I agree that hunter orange helps people identify an object as a hunter faster than camo however my concern is more on the amount of hunters walking around the bush that use their scope as their binoculars and an accidental discharge. I feel I am seen by many without blaze orange so limiting the chance of an accidental discharge.

I would hope with the regulations as they are and seasons with antlered and antlerless, point count etc. that guys unable to identify an object would shoot but really who knows.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

Some pretty ridiculous logic going on in here. The stats don't lie...colours make virtually zero difference to the rate of incidents. If it makes you feel better by all means wear what you like...just don't ram your opinion down my throats thanks.

Hunters hiding on my land....utter stupidity.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:

If you are paranoid about being shot at and feel safer wearing blaze orange please wear it.

Thinking that someone else wearing orange makes you safer is a bit out there. Are you concerned you are capable of shooting someone not dressed in orange?

You state that scoping is one thing but pulling the trigger is what worries you??? Near everyone that has been shot when mistaken for game has been scoped first. Don't you think that if we eliminated the practice of scoping and encouraged people to identify their target before raising a rifle we would all have nothing to worry about?

The land owners that are kind enough to allow me access to their property are fully aware I am out there as my truck is parked at the gate and I keep them up to date on my activities. I make certain they have my plate # to avoid confusion and my cell # in case their is a reason they need reach me.

I have never had a land owner even slightly concerned about my minute to minute movements and have never had a landowner try to implement a dress code so he could monitor my every movement from afar.

It is your land so do as you please and enforce any rules you see fit, but please understand that most of us are out there to get away from folks like you. We go out there to get away from it all, "it all" is people constantly looking over our shoulders wanting to control every aspect of our lives.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have never had a land owner even slightly concerned about my minute to minute movements and have never had a landowner try to implement a dress code so he could monitor my every movement from afar.

It is your land so do as you please and enforce any rules you see fit, but please understand that most of us are out there to get away from folks like you. We go out there to get away from it all, "it all" is people constantly looking over our shoulders wanting to control every aspect of our lives.
I guess you have never hunted Camp Wainwright or Suffield,,,

We don't enforce an orange rule, unless they are hunting in our own group,,, but by coincidence or not, probably 90% of the one to two dozen other hunters per year we give permission to, choose to wear orange on their own accord.

And the truth is if I know your are there , I will respect your hunt and give you a wide clearance... and orange makes that easier to see where you might be.

But if I can't readily see you until I walk by your stand leaving my scent on the very trail you are watching, not only have I buggered your hunt , but I likely have also wasted my time walking into a spot I thought I could hunt by myself.

And for what it is worth, I have yet to come across a trespasser wearing blaze orange when I am out hunting my own land, but every year I typically find 3-6 trespassers per year in non blaze orange attire on my property.

I am not saying that all camo'ed hunters are trespassers and poachers but ever since the orange rule was thrown out, we have never had that issue with the guys wearing orange out there.

And further to that several times per year, I see truck hunters begin to drive into my field only to turn around when they spot me in my orange pumpkin suit and my evening hunt has not been ruined. (By the way, wearing orange in a truck may seem goofy, but at least the locals know what you are up to,,, and hunting with camo out of your truck is even goofier!!!)

Beyond the safety aspect, hunting with orange is letting other hunters know you are there,,,, not hiding from them,,, and that gives them the opportunity to do the right thing and leave you your space.

My question to you then is why are you so worried about trying to get away from me?

Last edited by Pikebreath; 10-27-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Some pretty ridiculous logic going on in here. The stats don't lie...colours make virtually zero difference to the rate of incidents. If it makes you feel better by all means wear what you like...just don't ram your opinion down my throats thanks.

Hunters hiding on my land....utter stupidity.
Do you own land? We farm in a very popular hunting area,,, it happens several times per year. They are called trespassers.

Just a wild stab in the dark, but have you ever had to put on an orange vest to enter a worksite becuz of some ridiculous OHS rule?

I guess highway workers shouldn't wear safety vests since it encourages people to purposely speed through construction zones cuz they can see where the workers are?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:23 AM
Banned

I wear my little orange beanie.....so does everyone I hunt with. I find that it really catches my eye a bit easier.

Is it 100% foolproof.... nope. There's always some idiot out there doing there thing and using up our oxygen. Walking around dressed up like a tree and wonder why there's bullets snapping around there head.....
Old 10-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Banned

What member is this again?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I guess you have never hunted Camp Wainwright or Suffield,,,

We don't enforce an orange rule, unless they are hunting in our own group,,, but by coincidence or not, probably 90% of the one to two dozen other hunters per year we give permission to, choose to wear orange on their own accord.

And the truth is if I know your are there , I will respect your hunt and give you a wide clearance... and orange makes that easier to see where you might be.

But if I can't readily see you until I walk by your stand leaving my scent on the very trail you are watching, not only have I buggered your hunt , but I likely have also wasted my time walking into a spot I thought I could hunt by myself.

And for what it is worth, I have yet to come across a trespasser wearing blaze orange when I am out hunting my own land, but every year I typically find 3-6 trespassers per year in non blaze orange attire on my property.

I am not saying that all camo'ed hunters are trespassers and poachers but ever since the orange rule was thrown out, we have never had that issue with the guys wearing orange out there.

And further to that several times per year, I see truck hunters begin to drive into my field only to turn around when they spot me in my orange pumpkin suit and my evening hunt has not been ruined. (By the way, wearing orange in a truck may seem goofy, but at least the locals know what you are up to,,, and hunting with camo out of your truck is even goofier!!!)

Beyond the safety aspect, hunting with orange is letting other hunters know you are there,,,, not hiding from them,,, and that gives them the opportunity to do the right thing and leave you your space.

My question to you then is why are you so worried about trying to get away from me?
So why not make everyone wear orange all the time?

Think of all the pedestrians that would not be struck by cars. As you say, it would eliminate trespassing around the yards as well and all of the stealing we have been reading about. Police could easily spot gang members lurking in the ally ways and if they make a run for it, they could easily be found.

This could even end teen pregnancy and drug addition if you think about it.

Lets go a step further and micro chip the entire population and make those orange vests bullet proof as well. All farm houses should be orange to let everyone know where the house is as well as vehicles and implements.

My advice to you is to watch every program that will be running explaining the sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers have made for our freedom. There will be lots running from now until Remembrance Day. When you hear people saying "Lest We Forget" see if you can figure this out for yourself.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
So why not make everyone wear orange all the time?

Think of all the pedestrians that would not be struck by cars. As you say, it would eliminate trespassing around the yards as well and all of the stealing we have been reading about. Police could easily spot gang members lurking in the ally ways and if they make a run for it, they could easily be found.

This could even end teen pregnancy and drug addition if you think about it.

Lets go a step further and micro chip the entire population and make those orange vests bullet proof as well. All farm houses should be orange to let everyone know where the house is as well as vehicles and implements.

My advice to you is to watch every program that will be running explaining the sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers have made for our freedom. There will be lots running from now until Remembrance Day. When you hear people saying "Lest We Forget" see if you can figure this out for yourself.
Don't stop there, make it mandatory that all automobiles, motorcycles, and bicycles everywhere be blaze orange., so that they are more easily seen. Of course that will result in less accidents, and it may even result in less thefts of these things because the thief would be seen stealing them.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:36 AM

You guys are making it into a issue of "freedom and rights" and "democracy",,, the issue of hunter orange is far from being an attack on libertarian values.

If wearing orange is more dangerous as many seem to claim here, why don't the hunter accident stats show that orange hunters get shot at a higher rate?

No where have I said that I want orange to be mandatory by law,,, only that there are several legitimate reasons beyond the safety aspect to make the choice to wear orange.

Nothing more, nothing less....
Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
And as a landowner, I would prefer to know you are out there with nothing to hide cuz your not afraid to wear orange and be seen.
Ibwear a red and black jacket and shirt normally when I hunt , and keep a headlamp and flashlight fir dark if I have to come out latel wear a island vest when bird hunting.
Wearing orange would only let a landowner know that the People he was seeing already had permission to hunt on his land .
The ones that are there without permission would not be wearing orange anyway
So I don't see the point .
Cat
Old 10-27-2016, 10:37 AM

I think his point is:

Regardless of any safety implications (real or perceived) for wearing blaze orange or any other highly visible colour, if he is at his property and sees a guy in a bright colour, chances are it is someone who has no problem being seen and thus likely not trespassing or conducting illegal activities.

Makes sense to me
Old 10-27-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Wearing orange would only let a landowner know that the People he was seeing already had permission to hunt on his land .
The ones that are there without permission would not be wearing orange anyway
So I don't see the point .
Cat
That is exactly the point,,, and I can let the orange clad hunter have his hunt without being disturbed if I am reasonably certain they are not trespassing. I have enough property I can go elsewhere myself if I wish to hunt that evening.

I am not trying to kick people off my land, I just want to ensure those who have permission are able to hunt without intentional or unintentional interference from me or other hunters. I do get annoyed if I spend a half hour walking onto my planned hunt stand and find a hidden hunter already there. Whether you are trespassing or not, both our hunts are now compromised becuz of the extra hunter activity.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:55 AM

I misunderstood stood your original intent on others wearing orange.
Anytime I ha been hunting on private land however, the owner knows the exact 1/4 I am in because we check in every day .
Cat
Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM

I wear my 1990's neon green nylon tracksuit. Between the color and the "swishing" sound everyone around will know that I'm not an animal.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM

I took hunter safety in ontario. Their logic for blaze orange was to protect a hunter from being behind an animal that another hunter may want to take a shot at. It wasnt anything about people shooting and anything moving or scoping someone.
Ive always found it puzzling why orange isnt required in Alberta. Seems logical.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
I took hunter safety in ontario. Their logic for blaze orange was to protect a hunter from being behind an animal that another hunter may want to take a shot at. It wasnt anything about people shooting and anything moving or scoping someone.
Ive always found it puzzling why orange isnt required in Alberta. Seems logical.
Orange used to be mandatory in Alberta, but the requirement was dropped many years ago. And since it was dropped, the number of people being accidentally shot hasn't increased significantly.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
AB has nothing to learn from ON. I was from there too. Why is it "logical" to force people into wearing specific clothing? Are people who don't wear blaze orange being killed? Cant even wear disruptive orange in ON....it has to be solid orange and of a certain size (i.e., 400 sq/in above the waist)........and the transportation laws! Like I said, nothing to learn from ON.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Orange used to be mandatory in Alberta, but the requirement was dropped many years ago. And since it was dropped, the number of people being accidentally shot hasn't increased significantly.
. Humm but it has increased

Last edited by last minute; 10-27-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Did notice the people buying guns , they scare me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
. Humm but it has increased
Has it? The number of people purchasing hunting licenses has certainly increased by a significant amount.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Default hasn't increased significantly.

Quote:
Has it? The number of people purchasing hunting licenses has certainly increased by a significant amount.
waite a minute you said

Quote:
its your words not mine has it increased or not
Old 10-27-2016, 10:32 PM

It is very hard to decide what is best, my uncle used to where a solid black coat and red hat, I thought the black could be seen as a moose, but with the red hat, he stuck out lick a soar thumb. I think the biggest thing is everyone takes the time to ensure what they think they see is actually an animal they are hunting. At the same time going in the bush at hunting season is a risk no matter what you wear. What ever makes one feel safe is the best, I have had elk stand 20 yards from me on a cutline while wearing blaze orange, they didn't care one bit, looked right through me at the truck parked further down the line behind me. Not mine.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
waite a minute you said

its your words not mine has it increased or not
It didn't increase immediately after the regulation was dropped, but it may have increased since, given that the number of hunters has increased so much.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
It didn't increase immediately after the regulation was dropped, but it may have increased since, given that the number of hunters has increased so much.
I read an article a few years back that quoted the stats and hunting related deaths by gunshot had not increased .
Cat