Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
And as a landowner, I would prefer to know you are out there with nothing to hide cuz your not afraid to wear orange and be seen.
The simple fact that I have already obtained permission from the landowner before setting foot on his property is a much better indication that I have nothing to hide.

Quote:
The vast majority of hunting shooting accidents are accidental misfires that occur in close proximity (ie getting in and around vehicles). What people wear ain't going to make any difference.
And the fact that people have been mistaken for game animals, and killed while wearing orange, and while riding double on a red ATV proves that orange makes not difference as far as being shot by an idiot.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=MK2750;3367475]
Thinking I would go the extra mile, I purchased an orange hat for my son when he first started hunting. I could see him sitting up the cutline several hundred yards away. As the light diminished, I finally walked up and pulled him out of there. The color of the hat was barely evident to my eyes but the movement stood out like a sore thumb and looked like "something" moving around in the bush.

QUOTE]

That is why a jacket or vest is far better than just a toque (and / or gloves). We bob our heads and hands around far more than any other body part,,, in low light when color stars to fade, that togue now can appear to be the flashing underside of a whitetail deer tail or mule deer rump. But that said,,, in that same twilight,,, an all camo'ed up hunter will become a dark blob showing up against lighter backgrounds much the same size shape and color as a moose.

At the end of the day, I want other hunters to know I am a person. Wearing an orange vest or jacket is still better seen and identified than just a little of orange or full camo. And better yet use a flashlight to show your presence once legal hunting time is done.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Seems odd that when discussing camo, the collective wisdom seems to be that actual color matters little as deer/elk are color blind, but that the issue is breaking up the outline, the different patterns/tone in the clothing, etc. Yet what I've seen mostly in blaze clothing is the entire garment (vest, jacket,etc.) in blaze, no break-up of outline, etc. Wouldn't blaze camo make sense and work well? I've seen a little of it, but very little in the field.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact that I have already obtained permission from the landowner before setting foot on his property is a much better indication that I have nothing to hide.
You don't get it, do you? If I see someone hunting in blaze orange on my land, I am reasonably confident who they might be and know that they have permission becuz they know their actions are easily monitored. However if I see someone in camo lurking around the field and bushy edges, I do not have that same degree of confidence that it is someone who I have given permission to.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Pikebreath;3367595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Thinking I would go the extra mile, I purchased an orange hat for my son when he first started hunting. I could see him sitting up the cutline several hundred yards away. As the light diminished, I finally walked up and pulled him out of there. The color of the hat was barely evident to my eyes but the movement stood out like a sore thumb and looked like "something" moving around in the bush.

QUOTE]

That is why a jacket or vest is far better than just a toque (and / or gloves). We bob our heads and hands around far more than any other body part,,, in low light when color stars to fade, that togue now can appear to be the flashing underside of a whitetail deer tail or mule deer rump. But that said,,, in that same twilight,,, an all camo'ed up hunter will become a dark blob showing up against lighter backgrounds much the same size shape and color as a moose.

At the end of the day, I want other hunters to know I am a person. Wearing an orange vest or jacket is still better seen and identified than just a little of orange or full camo. And better yet use a flashlight to show your presence once legal hunting time is done.

If you really want people to see you, the hat below is the solution. If they don't see the beacon flashing, they certainly won't see orange clothing.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Seems odd that when discussing camo, the collective wisdom seems to be that actual color matters little as deer/elk are color blind, but that the issue is breaking up the outline, the different patterns/tone in the clothing, etc. Yet what I've seen mostly in blaze clothing is the entire garment (vest, jacket,etc.) in blaze, no break-up of outline, etc. Wouldn't blaze camo make sense and work well? I've seen a little of it, but very little in the field.
Yep exactly,,,, that is what I have worn for the last 30 years. I look like a Halloween jack-o'-lantern to the human world, and just plain simply smell bad to deer, moose, elk which if I can keep my human stench away from the critters, they have walked right up within spitting distance to me on several occasions.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Banned

Old 10-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
And as a landowner, I would prefer to know you are out there with nothing to hide cuz your not afraid to wear orange and be seen.
So a person wearing camo has "something to hide", but people wearing blaze are ok?
Hilarious. Clothes profiling.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
So a person wearing camo has "something to hide", but people wearing blaze are ok?
Hilarious. Clothes profiling.
I think the point is that it's highly doubtful a poacher or trespasser would wear blaze. Camo doesn't tell you anything one way of the other about the law abiding nature of the wearer.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Agreed on the breakup pattern in blaze orange. Smartest way to go there, but sorta hard to find.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I think the point is that it's highly doubtful a poacher or trespasser would wear blaze. Camo doesn't tell you anything one way of the other about the law abiding nature of the wearer.
So the theory of doing something so bold it couldn't be illegal?

Sorry Pikebreath I could care less if you as a land owner want to monitor your hunters by counting blaze orange blobs but until its illegal to hunt with a centerfire rifle without possessing binoculars I will continue to hunt in stealth mode.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:00 PM

you have to love the internet
Old 10-25-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't blaze camo make sense and work well? I've seen a little of it, but very little in the field.
I dunno, I feel really silly wearing it to my local Wal-Mart... People staring and pointing, covering their children's eyes as I walk by...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Orange

you have to love the internet just hilarious.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
So the theory of doing something so bold it couldn't be illegal?

Sorry Pikebreath I could care less if you as a land owner want to monitor your hunters by counting blaze orange blobs but until its illegal to hunt with a centerfire rifle without possessing binoculars I will continue to hunt in stealth mode.
So what you makes you think that you are not being scoped by other hunters also in stealth mode?

Camo does not make you invisible,,, only harder to tell what you really are.

Stealth mode sounds like a recipe to be scoped more often than not given that certain % of hunters are going to scope anything not readily identified.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I wear orange and so do my buddies. It helps us pick each other out when pushing bush so we know where each other is.
This is why I too like orange and lots of it.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
So what you makes you think that you are not being scoped by other hunters also in stealth mode?

Stealth mode sounds like a recipe to be scoped more often than not given that certain % of hunters are going to scope anything not readily identified.
I sat and watched an idiot get out of his vehicle and scope both of my hunting partners who were wearing orange caps. He didn't scope me, because he obviously did not see me.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:32 PM

One could think of classing humans in 2 groups

Group 1,,, those that rifle scope other to identify what they are looking at,,, these folks are "not Hunters".

Group 2 does not rifle scope un-identified objects.

It's is group 2 that could be considered as "Hunters".

That's the way I see it, more wrong then right I guess.

Don
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 PM

I want to avoid being scoped. I want to be readily identifiable coming out of the bush when I am "pushing". This is best achieved while wearing orange. Lots of it.

From this thread, the best take-away is that wearing a headlamp on the way out of the field at dark is a very good practice.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I sat and watched an idiot get out of his vehicle and scope both of my hunting partners who were wearing orange caps. He didn't scope me, because he obviously did not see me.
WOW your the lucky one
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
WOW your the lucky one
Actually the idiot doing the scoping was the lucky one. He was lucky to get away with that crap without getting the education that he deserved.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Actually the idiot doing the scoping was the lucky one. He was lucky to get away with that crap without getting the education that he deserved.
like i said your still the lucky one don't know about the scoper he or she is still out there

my question now is how many people have been shot at that have been scoped by the same person i know two wrongs don't make a wright but has it happen
Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I want to avoid being scoped. I want to be readily identifiable coming out of the bush when I am "pushing". This is best achieved while wearing orange. Lots of it.

From this thread, the best take-away is that wearing a headlamp on the way out of the field at dark is a very good practice.
I think you're saying you wear it as a matter of personal choice? You're not saying that the government should make a law making it mandatory?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I think you're saying you wear it as a matter of personal choice? You're not saying that the government should make a law making it mandatory?
I never said anything should be mandatory. Where did you get that from my post? There are enough laws already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
like i said your still the lucky one don't know about the scoper he or she is still out there

my question now is how many people have been shot at that have been scoped by the same person i know two wrongs don't make a wright but has it happen

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I never said anything should be mandatory. Where did you get that from my post? There are enough laws already.

Never said that you said mandatory. Others are saying so. We agree
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM

I could give a damn what others wear. Thought we were on same page.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Well I know for sure that I'll be purchasing my hunting buddies those clip on LED red flashing lights (for cyclists) to clip on their gear for when coming out of the bush or field at dusk
Old 10-25-2016, 08:46 PM

I think it don't matter what you wear in the field cause there are a lot of unskilled wanna be hunters out there . I know for a fact that blaze orange WILL NOT help you from being scoped , shot and killed 100 % of the time !!! When a weapon is in the wrong hands something could happen to any one of us . I say do what ever makes you feel the safest out there and Look after yourself, family , friends .
Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

"There are enough laws already"

No kidding.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:

What side of the fence are you on is it about safety or telling who's on your land?
I don't think I'm never scoped I just know im alot harder to spot without blaze orange on. "Stealth mode" is a silly term for non blaze orange hunting gear.