Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Default This putting on blazing orange

Ok I know it getting bad out there but this year going to where a vest blazing orange . Last year seen some not smart people out there and wish to go home after a nice day

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

I have one of those heat a seats that's black and orange and I walk the orange facing out so hopefully I won't get scoped
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM

Good for you nothing wrong with wearing orange more people should wear it
the world would be a safer place come hunting season but that's just me talking out loud
Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

I always wear a blaze orange toque during rifle season. Game can't tell the difference between blaze orange and brown.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:30 PM

x2 For the orange hat. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Blaze orange jacket.Also add a headlamp when walking out in low light conditions.Thats how I roll

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Blaze orange used to be mandatory in Alberta, but when they dropped the requirement, the amount of accidental shootings didn't suddenly increase significantly as some people predicted. That in itself indicates that blaze orange does not have much influence on hunting safety in Alberta. And of the people that I know that have been accidentally shot, all were wearing blaze orange or red at the time. I have personally watched my hunting partners , who were wearing blaze orange caps , being scoped by some idiot who scoped them , because he saw them, but was unaware that I was watching him, because I was not wearing bright colors. I do wear an orange cap when hunting pheasants at release sites, because it's easier for people to avoid other hunters that they can see, and since people don't typically have scopes on their pheasant shotguns, I am not likely to be scoped by some idiot.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM

There are a lot of hunters nowadays, numbers are probably greater than ever. Personally, I'd like to see it mandatory again. Camo is for the hunters, not the game.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM

I don't mind it at the Pheasant site. Orange or no orange, nobody should have ANYTHING in their rifle scope without a proper ID first. That would 100% eliminate the need for blaze orange.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:02 PM

I like to wear an orange hat and gloves... haven't been scoped yet as far as I know
Old 10-24-2016, 03:46 PM

I wear orange and so do my buddies. It helps us pick each other out when pushing bush so we know where each other is.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM

Got a blaze orange hat with fold up ear flaps I wear when bush whacking or pushing bush. Nice thinking to myself that I would be visible to all other hunters hopefully......

And it's got E. Fudd written in black felt pen across the front...........get a few crazy looks running in for a coffee after a hunt if I forget to take it off......
Old 10-24-2016, 05:24 PM

Default blaze

I understand the blaze orange and its usefulness and safety Have had to where it in a few other provinces I dont like the idea of making it mandatory,dont we have enough laws? maybe they should upgrade the hunter safety courses these cabelas weekend warriors buy a rifle go shoot it or something with it not caring about whats on the other side. Maybe cabelas should include binos with rifle purchases!!! just my opinion
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 PM

I personally believe the colour one chooses to wear when hunting should be just that, a choice and not something imposed by law.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
the colour one chooses to wear when hunting should be just that, a choice and not something imposed by law.
IT is a choice even if you are living in a perfect world or just a weekend warrior "its not imposed by law" in Alberta .

Last edited by last minute; 10-25-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM

If you think blaze orange increases safety, you are wrong.

The only time I think there is a use for it, is in a group, like the guys that 'push bush'. So they can see where each other is.

Years ago, my brother was wearing a blaze orange jacket, but when he crested the rise on a cutline, walking toward me, you couldn't see the orange at all, due to the light conditions.

Just looked like a brown silohuette.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
if you think blaze orange increases safety, you are wrong.
well i think it dose
Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM

There are people that scope or even shoot at something. Something moving or even sound. You are more likely to be identified as something if you stand out. I prefer to be not noticed at all.

Thinking I would go the extra mile, I purchased an orange hat for my son when he first started hunting. I could see him sitting up the cutline several hundred yards away. As the light diminished, I finally walked up and pulled him out of there. The color of the hat was barely evident to my eyes but the movement stood out like a sore thumb and looked like "something" moving around in the bush.

I agree with orange in group hunting as mentioned, especially when several people are pushing for birds. For big game I feel much safer tucked away unseen. A flashlight for walking out in the evening is a good idea. I carry a little head lamp and turn it on when I approach the road or cutline at night.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There are people that scope or even shoot at something. Something moving or even sound. You are more likely to be identified as something if you stand out. I prefer to be not noticed at all.

Thinking I would go the extra mile, I purchased an orange hat for my son when he first started hunting. I could see him sitting up the cutline several hundred yards away. As the light diminished, I finally walked up and pulled him out of there. The color of the hat was barely evident to my eyes but the movement stood out like a sore thumb and looked like "something" moving around in the bush.

I agree with orange in group hunting as mentioned, especially when several people are pushing for birds. For big game I feel much safer tucked away unseen. A flashlight for walking out in the evening is a good idea. I carry a little head lamp and turn it on when I approach the road or cutline at night.

All excellent points, and the important point that I failed to mention, is using a light, when walking in low light conditions.

I carry a blaze orange hat also, but only pull it out, if I see another person, then I will wave it.

Story: one time I was hunting near Fort Assiniboine. I was dressed head-to-toe in white, and I was walking down a side road, after coming out of the bush. There was deep heavy snow that year, and in the all-white, I would be barely visible.

A pickup turned the corner and started down toward me.

I see the truck slowly stop and the 'hunter' slowly slides out and I see he's bringing his rifle up, that he's going to shoot at or scope me... bloody hell!

I whipped out the orange hat and waved it back and forth over my head.

The idiot, sees that, gets back in his truck, then drives up to me.

He said to me, "...do you want a beer?"
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Having binoculars with you when hunting should dam near be a legal requirement. Good dam scoping idiots.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

I agree with this I feel the amount of people that don't use binoculars is alarming. If someone sees blaze orange usually they will take a glance with their binos even though they know its a hunter ....well the numbskulls that walk around without binos do the same with their riflescope.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 AM

I often wonder about the "I feel safer if I am not seen" argument of the non - orange hunters.

What are you trying to hide from?

The game? Other hunters?,,,, Or is it Landowners and LEOs?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
I often wonder about the "I feel safer if I am not seen" argument of the non - orange hunters.

You can put whatever spin you want on it. Sounds a lot like the folk who don't like a single rear license plate. If people really don't want to be seen are they going to wear orange lol? Mandatory orange is not safer nor would it be mandatory for those engaged in crime. I wonder why the proponents of orange think the way they do?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You can put whatever spin you want on it. Sounds a lot like the folk who don't like a single rear license plate. If people really don't want to be seen are they going to wear orange lol? Mandatory orange is not safer nor would it be mandatory for those engaged in crime. I wonder why the proponents of orange think the way they do?
I don't wear blaze, but could care less if someone else wants to. I prefer to have a choice and don't think we need more regs and rules about our choice of clothing.
What I don't understand is your remark about AB's single plate policy. What has that got to do with wearing blaze or not?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I don't wear blaze, but could care less if someone else wants to. I prefer to have a choice and don't think we need more regs and rules about our choice of clothing.
What I don't understand is your remark about AB's single plate policy. What has that got to do with wearing blaze or not?
I was commenting on an angle that a poster was making that hunters may want to conceal themselves while doing something nefarious. The AB single license plate is not welcomed by some who think that having two plates will be more beneficial in identifying vehicles.........from a crime perspective. Same rationale goes into both examples
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 AM

All good points from both camps.

Blazing Orange is not so blazing in low light conditions if distance is involved for human eye sight,,, at distance as mentioned is that a person wearing orange is as much a colour of dark blending in with its surroundings.

Once a person looks at a person wearing orange or "blazing orange" with binoculars at far off distance it's is then clear too distinguish the colour,,, of course one can pick-up the colour up when the object gets close enough for us to see it stand out.

Orange or blazing orange in solid pattern catches the eye of others as well, this of course gets those too looking too, it has been known that folks wearing colour have been scoped as well.

I agree that it is ones dission too do as they see fit, and for others too use binoculars at confirming each target before shouldering a firearm.

This allows us to see if the critter is worth taking and a good wide view of binoculars allows for field of view around and beyond intended target too.

Just my take on what works.

It is clearly stated in the hunter training and FAC pages too "never scope anything that is not known with a firearm mounted optics." "Ever."

Binoculars, range finders and telescope are the tools needed for scouting and spotting. This is only wize too others and us.

Again, options of blazing orange or not is up to Person(s) choosing.

The harvester is responsible for scouting and spotting with proper equipment, IMO only as each choose what best works.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 10-25-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:

As has been posted.

Quote:
I agree with this I feel the amount of people that don't use binoculars is alarming. If someone sees blaze orange usually they will take a glance with their binos even though they know its a hunter ....well the numbskulls that walk around without binos do the same with their riflescope.
It should be legal to beat those numbskulls senseless, but since it isn't , I prefer that they don't see me.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As has been posted.

It should be legal to beat those numbskulls senseless, but since it isn't , I prefer that they don't see me.
And as a landowner, I would prefer to know you are out there with nothing to hide cuz your not afraid to wear orange and be seen.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Blaze orange used to be mandatory in Alberta, but when they dropped the requirement, the amount of accidental shootings didn't suddenly increase significantly as some people predicted. That in itself indicates that blaze orange does not have much influence on hunting safety in Alberta..
The vast majority of hunting shooting accidents are accidental misfires that occur in close proximity (ie getting in and around vehicles). What people wear ain't going to make any difference.

The wearing of orange does make it possible to better monitor the actions of hunters in the field. Letting other hunters know you are there will stop most other hunters from entering that same patch of bush or field and potentially disturbing your hunt. Notice I said most,,, but not all!!! There are always exceptions.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
And as a landowner, I would prefer to know you are out there with nothing to hide cuz your not afraid to wear orange and be seen.
I appreciate your concerns.....truly. But who has something to hide? If someone has something to hide would they really wear orange? A big hammer government law only gives the impression that public safety is being increased.......all the while imposing new and unnecessary rules on everyone.