Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM

I'm hearing that vehicles entering the quaranteed areas are having to use a bleach solution spray so that to me says a lot.If the cattle had to be trucked out as opposed to trailed from block the area/areas of concern are widespread.All block hunters planning to enter should have a sprayer with a 4-1 solution to be allowed to get out if even allowed in ,in the first place.Im also hearing that the infected cow was from the states and therefore the federal government is involved. Another thing I'm hearing is that area ranchers may not be allowed to move their cattle for a given period of time and that would create major issues for them, especially with the cratered cattle market.Will be very interesting as to how this unfolds when it hits the news.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM

If they are disinfecting vehicles coming out they will have the equipment and staff required. You will not need your own sprayer!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Just joking about own sprayers.We had our sprayers freeze up on a goose shoot with clubroot issues a month ago.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 PM

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1330206128556

A little information about what the CFIA will be implementing in response to the confirmed case.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
I'm hearing that vehicles entering the quaranteed areas are having to use a bleach solution spray so that to me says a lot.If the cattle had to be trucked out as opposed to trailed from block the area/areas of concern are widespread.All block hunters planning to enter should have a sprayer with a 4-1 solution to be allowed to get out if even allowed in ,in the first place.Im also hearing that the infected cow was from the states and therefore the federal government is involved. Another thing I'm hearing is that area ranchers may not be allowed to move their cattle for a given period of time and that would create major issues for them, especially with the cratered cattle market.Will be very interesting as to how this unfolds when it hits the news.
I bet you've heard of cougar releases as well.

There is a long standing and effective protocol that is in place. Yes a quarantine is going to have an effect o some hunts but it is a necessary hindrance.

Given the timeline and the lack of more herds being added to the list I'm hopeful.

Lots of info on the CFIA website
Old 10-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

I just got a look at the newest range safety calendar and workers on a the base are being reminded to wear orange vests as of Nov 1. Based on that the hunts still seem to be a go.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Range safety calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
I just got a look at the newest range safety calendar and workers on a the base are being reminded to wear orange vests as of Nov 1. Based on that the hunts still seem to be a go.
That's a live document bud it can be changed in a heartbeat with a couple of calls I think the way forward right now is to sit back and see how this plays out rather than everyone on this forum feeding in little snippets of info and speculation no disrespect intended to anyone just speaking of experience is all 😊
Old 10-26-2016, 10:52 AM

not sure if the same rules as wainwright, but base access can be shut down for any reason, at any time. even morning of the hunt. their rules. Hope the best for you guys with draws.

as they were using the hunts as their "management plan", they would now have to come up with another "plan" to manage the herd and may not make any official announcements until that is formalised(in short order now).
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
That's a live document bud it can be changed in a heartbeat with a couple of calls I think the way forward right now is to sit back and see how this plays out rather than everyone on this forum feeding in little snippets of info and speculation no disrespect intended to anyone just speaking of experience is all 😊
I might have a little experience as well Dan. I've worked in that base since long before you came to Canada... no disrespect intended.

Now if I posted something incorrect, please feel free to set things straight. It's well known that our government is urine poor in the communication no matter what the topic.

Facts as we know them....access is currently being restricted OUTSIDE the base on the north end. A cow that was grazed in Suffield has tested positive for TB. There are a couple hundred guys wondering if hunts inside the base are a go. This morning, the latest range safety calendar indicates anyone working in the base needs to be wearing orange vests as of Nov 1.

I'm not sure if any of those qualify as snippets, but they sure as hell aren't rumours. Those are the facts that are known at the moment. I'm sure if you were one of the guys living in say GP, Ft Mac, !or any other number of places not particularly close to Suffield and had a tag in your pocket I'd guess you would appreciate the info.

Now I agree that it's not written in stone, but as of this morning the info says the hunts are on. Yep they could change this afternoon, tomorrow, the weekend or even Monday morning. If I find that to be fact I'll post that too.

On another note, 2 deer have been killed from your blind so far. Gimme a couple hours and I'll see if we can't add to the count.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 PM

Hey all,

I am working on this story and will post a link to it tonight sometime. (At the latest, tomorrow morning.)

I can't speak to all of the comments here, but there are a few ridiculous ones.

• This is a federally reportable disease that would be lab verified.

• Wildlife can carry and transmit to cattle and vice versa. Even canines such as coyotes can carry it.

• The most common transmission is from cattle to cattle.

• The original animals introduced to Suffield tested clean.

• The last case in Canada was in BC in 2011 and the last case in Alberta was in 2007. We are still considered a TB-free country based upon OIE (Organization for World Animal Health) guidelines.

• In the BC case, wildlife in the area is still being regularly sampled to find a source of transmission and to monitor the population. (Still seeking a second source for this info.)

• Hunters are unlikely to face much risk from exposure. They can look for signs of disease, and there may be a surveillance program introduced for harvested game in the area that request or requires hunters to submit samples. See this link for good information regarding hunting in an area that may have bovine tuberculosis.

• No rancher would wish this upon himself or his neighbours. It is costly because of quarantines and movement restrictions imposed by the CFIA. There is no compensation available other than a payment if the CFIA requires an animal to be culled.

Again, I will post a link with accurate information. Obviously, everyone is free to discuss whatever they want to, but I would ask that you refrain from spreading misinformation and from engaging in speculation that could ultimately prove hurtful or harmful.

Sheri Monk (Arach)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM

Hi Sheri...
If there is the slightest risk to humans or animals then why the delay of information from the Gov and media as to the status of this situation ?? someone should learn how to spell priority .... just my opinion... reportable and lab verified ...good now lets hear about it ....
Old 10-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Thanks Spidey,

The link did not work for me, not sure if the problem is the link or my computer....

"• Hunters are unlikely to face much risk from exposure. They can look for signs of disease, and there may be a surveillance program introduced for harvested game in the area that request or requires hunters to submit samples. See this link for good information regarding hunting in an area that may have bovine tuberculosis."

Curious where this quote came from. Yours or from another source?

From discussions with a couple of very knowledgable people in the field of wildlife diseases, TB in elk is Much more infectious to humans than TB in cattle. I would be very cautious in downplaying the risk potential if an infected animal is encountered. Lots of people got sick from TB infected Farmed elk back in 90's, I was told 42 people....

Have you heard Anything from the Prov/Fed government regarding them taking samples from local elk and deer?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote is from me, based on research thus far.

The virulence of bovine tuberculosis to humans doesn't appear to be any higher from elk than from cattle. However, for obvious reasons, hunters are going to have a lot more exposure to an infected wild animal they've harvested than they would to an infected cow.

Sorry that link isn't working - try this: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...se/bovine.html
It also refers to mitigations in place to reduce the risk of transmission between cattle and elk.

I have calls into the CFIA regarding the investigation and processes affecting the producers in question, as well as into two provincial (Alberta) ministries for more answers - including the delay of information to hunters in the Suffield area, as well as any actions that may be planned in order to collect information from harvested wildlife in the area, and wildlife testing.

The first article should be going live today or tomorrow, I will link here, but I will continue to update as more information comes to light. This is not my first rodeo with the CFIA or animal disease, nor with animal quarantines and the subsequent hardships that accompany it.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
The virulence of bovine tuberculosis to humans doesn't appear to be any higher from elk than from cattle. However, for obvious reasons, hunters are going to have a lot more exposure to an infected wild animal they've harvested than they would to an infected cow.

Sorry that link isn't working - try this: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...se/bovine.html
It also refers to mitigations in place to reduce the risk of transmission between cattle and elk.

I have calls into the CFIA regarding the investigation and processes affecting the producers in question, as well as into two provincial (Alberta) ministries for more answers - including the delay of information to hunters in the Suffield area, as well as any actions that may be planned in order to collect information from harvested wildlife in the area, and wildlife testing.

The first article should be going live today or tomorrow, I will link here, but I will continue to update as more information comes to light. This is not my first rodeo with the CFIA or animal disease, nor with animal quarantines and the subsequent hardships that accompany it.
I'll take my chances elsewhere , my life ...so this is all your opinion ? just what I thought ....
Old 10-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
Ill take my chances elsewhere , my life ...so this is all you opinion ?
What do you mean?

I am saying that the risk is considered minimal, provided precautions are in place. I am not telling you what to do, or where to hunt.

I am in the business of accumulating and reviewing data (including peer-reviewed published studies), researching issues such as this, investigating problems with how incidents like this are handled, and then putting all of the relevant information together with the accurate and appropriate context in a format that readers can understand.

I am in the stages of doing just this with this story, and I have spelled out what actions I am taking as a journalist to acquire more information. When I know more, so will you.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
What do you mean?

I am saying that the risk is considered minimal, provided precautions are in place. I am not telling you what to do, or where to hunt.

I am in the business of accumulating and reviewing data (including peer-reviewed published studies), researching issues such as this, investigating problems with how incidents like this are handled, and then putting all of the relevant information together with the accurate and appropriate context in a format that readers can understand.

I am in the stages of doing just this with this story, and I have spelled out what actions I am taking as a journalist to acquire more information. When I know more, so will you.
what i'm saying is IT doesn't matter what you say or think because it's your opinion and thoughts .... now your report is meaningless .. you just goofed ....
Old 10-26-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
what i'm saying is IT doesn't matter what you say or think because it's your opinion and thoughts .... now your report is meaningless .. you just goofed ....

Considered minimal by experts in that field...

I don't think you understand. That's ok. Others will.
I also have calls in to TB experts that actually wrote the some of the research I am referring to, which is also readily available to anyone else with a proficient grasp of Google.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand. That's ok. Others will.
I also have calls in to TB experts that actually wrote the some of the research I am referring to, which is also readily available to anyone else with a proficient grasp of Google.
I'll take it from the horses mouth so to speak ..I don't need a personal view and interpretation of the facts ...thank you very much ..others will understand this too ... your report is your theory and that's all you have .... our discussion on here was NOT out of balance and scope as to what you insinuated ...
Old 10-26-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:

We are on the same page. Lol...

That is the info link I provided in the OP.

The Suffield hunt is only five days away, hunting on surrounding lands has occurred and is ongoing. Many of these elk are going to be transported out of province....

I have every reason to believe the governments are acting appropriately and with haste on the cattle side of this equation,
but I am very concerned that they are not doing well on the wildlife and human health concerns.

In regards to the source investigation, we need to be aware of the potential that the source is from escaped diversified livestock. Over 140 escaped farmed elk from TB infected herds have never been accounted for.... consider this angle for inclusion in the article, I can provide you with a source to the info.

Thanks for digging into this. Look forward to reading your article.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM

Yes, absolutely.

I have all kinds of inquiries in, and I have pointedly asked about the delay in getting the kind of information hunters need (like what we linked to, haha).

I do think the risk can be mitigated, again based on research available and NOT my own opinion fabricated out of fairy dust), but I agree that information needs to be provided and shared - very quickly.

I'm also trying to reach the people that were involved in the 90s incident for their expertise and experience... should be interesting, and an evolving work in progress.

Sheri

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
What do you mean?

First off, Rio's comments are a little extravagant.

The reason I started this thread was because it appeared that "precautions" are NOT being put in place.

Your efforts will certainly help get the governments moving in the right direction.

Thank you.

Fire.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
First off, Rio's comments are a little extravagant.
The reason I started this thread was because it appeared that "precautions" are NOT being put in place. Your efforts will certainly help get the governments moving in the right direction.
Thank you.

Fire.
we shall see as time plays this one out .... you know I'm right.. it's a terrible mistake..

Last edited by Rio56; 10-26-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:27 PM

This statement was issued by CFIA to members of the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association Oct 12/2016

http://cms.abvma.ca/uploads/CFIA-Not...er%20201_1.pdf

NOTIFICATION TO ALBERTA AND SASKATCHEWAN BEEF, DAIRY AND FEEDLOT INDUSTRY GROUPS

BOVINE TUBERCULOSIS (TB) INVESTIGATION – ALBERTA October 2016

In late September, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) notified the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) that a case of Bovine TB had been detected in a cow from Alberta when it was slaughtered in the USA. The CFIA has initiated an investigation into the case and is working with its provincial agricultural and health authorities.

Bovine TB is a reportable disease in Canada and has been subject to a mandatory national eradication program since 1923. While Canada is considered to be officially free of Bovine TB today, isolated cases may occur. This finding does not affect Canada's current status with all provinces considered to be Bovine TB-free as per the criteria established in the Health of Animals Regulations.

In all cases where federally-reportable diseases are suspected or confirmed, the goal is to minimize disruptions to producers, while respecting Canada’s domestic and international obligations to take appropriate and prudent control measures. These measures are critical for protecting the health of Canadian livestock and maintaining market access.

As a control measure, movement restrictions are placed on any implicated animals. Testing, humane destruction, and disposal is carried out as required.

The control measures are placed to restrict movement and identify animals that were exposed to the infected animal / herd(s). These controls will remain in place until a comprehensive science-based assessment is completed to determine animal health risk.

The CFIA completes a comprehensive investigation and testing of all at-risk livestock herds which are epidemiologically associated with the infected premises.

Animals under movement controls are only allowed to move directly to inspected slaughter facilities under a CFIA permit.

Bovine TB is a contagious disease caused by a bacterium, Mycobacterium bovis. Animals usually acquire the disease by inhaling or ingesting the organism. While Bovine TB primarily affects ruminants (cattle, bison, elk, deer, goats, and sheep); it can affect all types of mammals, including humans.

Generally, findings of Bovine TB do not pose a threat to public health in Canada. This is due to the extremely low prevalence of the disease in Canada. However, individuals who have extended, close contact with an infected animal while it is alive are at risk of contracting the disease. Anyone who was in close contact with animals confirmed to have the disease is advised to contact their physician and/or local health authority.

Bovine TB affects a wide range of mammals including wildlife which, under certain circumstances, may transmit the disease to back to livestock. Although the CFIA does not have a program specifically designed to control disease in wildlife populations, the CFIA collaborates with other involved agencies (e.g. Provincial authorities, Parks Canada) to conduct wildlife surveillance in the vicinity of an infected livestock herd. For more information on Bovine TB and wildlife please visit the CFIA’s website at, http://www.inspection.gc.ca.

Additional information about Bovine TB, including monthly updates of incidents are available on the CFIA’s website at, http://www.inspection.gc.ca.

The CFIA will be notifying all producers involved in this investigation and will include the attached information that details what to expect if a farm is under investigation and compensation details should the CFIA order animals destroyed.

The CFIA thanks you for your support and cooperation as we continue our investigation.

we also forget, Bovine TB is present in the bison herd found in /around Wood Buffalo National Park
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM

To the ABVMA only ...someone is gonna lose their job .. to vets only on Oct 12 and no public announcement ... Should I write an article now ? I have all the info and research , what would you like to hear ? Is this why our largest feedlot thru in the towel ? just asking
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Yes, PLEASE. I would sincerely enjoy that.

Quote:
To the ABVMA only ...someone is gonna lose their job .. to vets only on Oct 12 and no public announcement ... Should I write an article now ? I have all the info and research , what would you like to hear ? Is this why our largest feedlot thru in the towel ? just asking

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-26-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Just the facts man.........Arach is offering a public service here no need to drag her through the mud just because you wish to disagree with what she's doing.

Be a gentleman about it....
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Did ya miss the part where isolated bovine TB cases are not consider a threat to public health in general ? How about the part where it was announced to all stakeholder groups affected ? Or how CFIA is not directly involved in wildlife disease control ?
Old 10-26-2016, 05:54 PM

Did ya miss the part where isolated bovine TB cases are not consider a threat to public health in general ? How about the part where it was announced to all stakeholder groups affected ? Or how CFIA is not directly involved in wildlife disease control ?

WHAT .... is this news as in old and we don't need a article special for us ... lol...did you miss the date and you better re-read the article again

Last edited by Rio56; 10-26-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:

WHAT .... is this news as in old and we don't need a article special for us ... lol...did you miss the date
Read ...

"NOTIFICATION TO ALBERTA AND SASKATCHEWAN BEEF, DAIRY AND FEEDLOT INDUSTRY GROUPS

BOVINE TUBERCULOSIS (TB) INVESTIGATION – ALBERTA October 2016 "

"Generally, findings of Bovine TB do not pose a threat to public health in Canada. This is due to the extremely low prevalence of the disease in Canada. However, individuals who have extended, close contact with an infected animal while it is alive are at risk of contracting the disease. Anyone who was in close contact with animals confirmed to have the disease is advised to contact their physician and/or local health authority. "

" Although the CFIA does not have a program specifically designed to control disease in wildlife populations, the CFIA collaborates with other involved agencies (e.g. Provincial authorities, Parks Canada) to conduct wildlife surveillance in the vicinity of an infected livestock herd"
Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

I am working on this story and will post a link to it tonight sometime. (At the latest, tomorrow morning.)

I can't speak to all of the comments here, but there are a few ridiculous ones.

• This is a federally reportable disease that would be lab verified.

• Wildlife can carry and transmit to cattle and vice versa. Even canines such as coyotes can carry it.

• The most common transmission is from cattle to cattle.

• The original animals introduced to Suffield tested clean.

• The last case in Canada was in BC in 2011 and the last case in Alberta was in 2007. We are still considered a TB-free country based upon OIE (Organization for World Animal Health) guidelines.

• In the BC case, wildlife in the area is still being regularly sampled to find a source of transmission and to monitor the population. (Still seeking a second source for this info.)

• Hunters are unlikely to face much risk from exposure. They can look for signs of disease, and there may be a surveillance program introduced for harvested game in the area that request or requires hunters to submit samples. See this link for good information regarding hunting in an area that may have bovine tuberculosis.

• No rancher would wish this upon himself or his neighbours. It is costly because of quarantines and movement restrictions imposed by the CFIA. There is no compensation available other than a payment if the CFIA requires an animal to be culled.

Again, I will post a link with accurate information. Obviously, everyone is free to discuss whatever they want to, but I would ask that you refrain from spreading misinformation and from engaging in speculation that could ultimately prove hurtful or harmful.

Sheri Monk (Arach)
thanks for the information so far I'm sure you will be able to clear few things up . i sure feel for the ranchers I'm sure there stress level is peaking .