Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default WMU 541 For Moose

Hi I am new to this site. I recently came back from WMU 541. I was deep into a remote area where there was no sign of recent human activity and the best moose habitat I have ever seen, yet there were no moose.

Sad that an area like this has no moose in it! I am still wondering why the government is selling tags in this area that is void of moose? Really sad!

Anyone else here have the same experience in this WMU?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned

There's moose there just have to find em
Old 10-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Banned

Get maps ihunter and hunt harder
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Get maps ihunter and hunt harder
Let me be more specific.

We covered and extensive area in 541, three highly experienced moose hunters with two Argos. We went to areas where you can not get to without an Argo, however you can get to it when it freezes over with skidoos.

I personally saw the best moose habitat you can ever see on a moose hunt. Small lakes with tons of willows and cover where there should have been moose, yet there were none and none of the willows were even chewed on.

Something very wrong with that picture if you ask me.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM

The 2015 harvest report estimated a 12% success rate for moose that year in that WMY. Doesn't appear to be an easy place to hunt.

That being said, I've been in areas where there was great moose habitat, but I didn't find the moose there - although they were around - just not where I thought they'd be.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Now you understand why there's so many undersubscribed tags, easy to get moose tags are usually in hard to find moose areas.

There's no easy moose in alberta, you either have to wait or work hard for it.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Now you understand why there's so many undersubscribed tags, easy to get moose tags are usually in hard to find moose areas.

There's no easy moose in alberta, you either have to wait or work hard for it.
We saw bears, there were wolverine, lynx and every other fur bearing critter you can imagine in the best moose habitat you ever saw, covering a wide area. No Moose.

I have seen more moose is Sherwood Park then I saw in 541, like I said there is something wrong with the picture???
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Default My experience

In my experience, generally moose population density (moose/twp) decreases as you go north. Even though you might have what looks to be great habitat (lake with willow flats - which is probably the missing piece of the puzzle where you normally hunt), another piece of the puzzle might be missing in these northern areas (calving areas, high ground, thermal cover...etc).
Old 10-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneer View Post
In my experience, generally moose population density (moose/twp) decreases as you go north. Even though you might have what looks to be great habitat (lake with willow flats - which is probably the missing piece of the puzzle where you normally hunt), another piece of the puzzle might be missing in these northern areas (calving areas, high ground, thermal cover...etc).
Could be, don't think so though because many moose were taken out the exact same area 10 years ago.

Food for thought.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
Hi I am new to this site. I recently came back from WMU 541. I was deep into a remote area where there was no sign of recent human activity and the best moose habitat I have ever seen, yet there were no moose.

Sad that an area like this has no moose in it! I am still wondering why the government is selling tags in this area that is void of moose? Really sad!

All I have to say is, welcome to the north.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
All I have to say is, welcome to the north.
Not like it used to be eh?

Our government better get their act together!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 PM

We hunted 542 again for the early moose draw with two argos as well.
Lots of good moose country, hard to access without argos, but very little sign.
Only heard one bull grunting and very little as far as fresh tracks.
We have only been successful a few times there but it's always nice to get out to call for them in any event.
Only saw a few deer as well, HOWEVER lots of fresh wolf sign which explains the lack of game!
I shot a BIG black wolf there a number of years ago and wish we could have taken more out of the area!
Only the ruffies seem to be in good numbers.
Thankfully our group has a bull tag for November as well in a more huntable WMU.
RBH
Old 10-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
We hunted 542 again for the early moose draw with two argos as well.
Lots of good moose country, hard to access without argos, but very little sign.
Only heard one bull grunting and very little as far as fresh tracks.
We have only been successful a few times there but it's always nice to get out to call for them in any event.
Only saw a few deer as well, HOWEVER lots of fresh wolf sign which explains the lack of game!
I shot a BIG black wolf there a number of years ago and wish we could have taken more out of the area!
Only the ruffies seem to be in good numbers.
Thankfully our group has a bull tag for November as well in a more huntable WMU.
RBH
Scary eh? Not looking good for the young Alberta Outdoorsmen and Outdoorswomen. Unless our government makes some significant changes, hunting in pristine wilderness areas in Alberta will be lost to everyone, forever.

I have never been more disappointed in my entire life and I have been hunting for over 40 years.

Why is our government charging people for draws in areas that are void of the species that are drawn for? Beyond sad!

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-18-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Scary eh? Not looking good for the young Alberta Outdoorsmen and Outdoorswomen. Unless our government makes some significant changes, hunting in pristine wilderness areas in Alberta will be lost to everyone, forever.

I have never been more disappointed in my entire life and I have been hunting for over 40 years.

Why is our government charging people for draws in areas that are void of the species that are drawn for? Beyond sad!
There are moose in the zone (not a ton of them) however saying that, I have seen quite a few more and shot some nice ones, in years past.
No guarantees in these WMU's for sure, but fairly easy to get a tag for the rut. If you enjoy spending time in the bush that time of the year during the rut, it's not bad, but we always as a hunting group, save priorities for better WMU's as well.
A few friends let us know constantly ( Hi Drew) we are wasting our time there, but it's good getting out in any event.
Wolves have kicked the crap out of the moose and deer in these WMU's for sure the last 10 years.
Being old farts and able to hunt whenever we want doesn't hurt either!
Keep your chin up and stay at it!!
RBH
Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
There are moose in the zone (not a ton of them) however saying that, I have seen quite a few more and shot some nice ones, in years past.
No guarantees in these WMU's for sure, but fairly easy to get a tag for the rut. If you enjoy spending time in the bush that time of the year during the rut, it's not bad, but we always as a hunting group, save priorities for better WMU's as well.
A few friends let us know constantly ( Hi Drew) we are wasting our time there, but it's good getting out in any event.
Wolves have kicked the crap out of the moose and deer in these WMU's for sure the last 10 years.
Being old farts and able to hunt whenever we want doesn't hurt either!
Keep your chin up and stay at it!!
RBH
I will never stop hunting RBH it's in my blood, thank my Father or God or Both

My concern and the only reason why I started this thread is because in my view and from what I saw, unless young Alberta Outdoorsmen and Women understand and take action to prevent the total collapse of our natural hunting environment, then real hunting will be gone forever. I hate even saying it, yet it must be said!

I know you understand, let's hope that others will too.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:

My trapline is in 541, I spend a lot of time there year round the moose are few and far between, years ago the the population was quite good, not sure exactly what happened but I don't blame the wolves for it myself, up until about 4 years ago the wolf population was very high I caught quite a few each year, about the winter of 2013 they all but disappeared I see tracks from small packs (2-3 wolves) once and awhile but mostly loners. I do know the bear population is out of control here which could be part of the problem. I am in an area with a lot of caribou which sometimes has me wondering if the wolves had some help disappearing.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Moose maniac has outlined the real problem in our northern moose zones. To many wolves, to many bears and too many other hunters that can hunt 365 days a year. Welcome to the new Alberta and enjoy your tag soup.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Moose maniac has outlined the real problem in our northern moose zones. To many wolves, to many bears and too many other hunters that can hunt 365 days a year. Welcome to the new Alberta and enjoy your tag soup.
Not much for native hunting in my area
Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
We saw bears, there were wolverine, lynx and every other fur bearing critter you can imagine in the best moose habitat you ever saw, covering a wide area. No Moose.

I have seen more moose is Sherwood Park then I saw in 541, like I said there is something wrong with the picture???
Been saying that for years... however I have taken moose out of 541 every time I've drawn a tag up there... probably 3 or 4 over the years. You need to hunt harder, or possibly smarter.

The key to hunting pretty much anything, anywhere, is to look for the topography that is in least supply... in those boggy northern zones these are usually high ground or ridges. If you've got a whole zone full of swamps and willow bottoms they aren't much of an attraction because they exist anywhere a moose might care to go. Often the high ground wont actually show up on a topo map because its not actually high enough, but it will be used for bedding and forage wherever you can find it. Best way is to go on google earth and look for big stands of hardwoods. Creeks and drainages will often create much the same habitat as a ridge because the moisture can drain off better. Also... when the population is sparse IMO tracking is usually your best bet... wait for snow, make miles, find tracks, then follow them, determine the sex of the animal by looking at how it moves and pee's so you don't spend too much time tracking cows... otherwise you can waste a lot of time hunting in places that rarely see any moose.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-19-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Been saying that for years... however I have taken moose out of 541 every time I've drawn a tag up there... probably 3 or 4 over the years. You need to hunt harder, or possibly smarter.

The key to hunting pretty much anything, anywhere, is to look for the topography that is in least supply... in those boggy northern zones these are usually high ground or ridges. If you've got a whole zone full of swamps and willow bottoms they aren't much of an attraction because they exist anywhere a moose might care to go. Often the high ground wont actually show up on a topo map because its not actually high enough, but it will be used for bedding and forage wherever you can find it. Best way is to go on google earth and look for big stands of hardwoods. Creeks and drainages will often create much the same habitat as a ridge because the moisture can drain off better. Also... when the population is sparse IMO tracking is usually your best bet... wait for snow, make miles, find tracks, then follow them, determine the sex of the animal by looking at how it moves and pee's so you don't spend too much time tracking cows... otherwise you can waste a lot of time hunting in places that rarely see any moose.
I was in the snow, no tracks for miles and miles and miles!

I called the Fish and Wild life gentleman to find out what is going on up there. He said this and I quote him "You would be luckier to get hit by lightening, then you would be to kill a moose there"

Scary stuff!
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
My trapline is in 541, I spend a lot of time there year round the moose are few and far between, years ago the the population was quite good, not sure exactly what happened but I don't blame the wolves for it myself, up until about 4 years ago the wolf population was very high I caught quite a few each year, about the winter of 2013 they all but disappeared I see tracks from small packs (2-3 wolves) once and awhile but mostly loners. I do know the bear population is out of control here which could be part of the problem. I am in an area with a lot of caribou which sometimes has me wondering if the wolves had some help disappearing.
Did see three bears there, could be part of the problem for sure.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Not much for native hunting in my area
Maybe not so much further in, but iam sure the south side gets a lot of pressure as well as highway 88. I know for a fact no moose crosses highway 88 further north around wmu 540 alive...
What bugs me is the amount of cows and calves being harvested.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

That has got to STOP! Makes me sick to my stomach because it is so very sad!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I was in the snow, no tracks for miles and miles and miles!

I called the Fish and Wild life gentleman to find out what is going on up there. He said this and I quote him "You would be luckier to get hit by lightening, then you would be to kill a moose there"

Scary stuff!
I guess I should buy a lottery ticket then?

Lol, the thing about complaining to F&W is that the problem does not get addressed... it is way over their heads to do so. All that they can do is cut tags, since the tags are more or less a non-issue and currently have almost no effect on the population I am not in favor of that course of action on its own. You cant fix this, you can only assist the removal of undersubscribed opportunities.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I should buy a lottery ticket then?

Lol, the thing about complaining to F&W is that the problem does not get addressed... it is way over their heads to do so. All that they can do is cut tags, since the tags are more or less a non-issue and currently have almost no effect on the population I am not in favor of that course of action on its own

From what I saw in person, you would be better off buying an aeroplane ticket and go hunt Africa.

What irks me is that our government knows that the moose in that zone are wiped out and yet they made 170 draws / licences available.

Crazy and Beyond Stupid!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
From what I saw in person, you would be better off buying an aeroplane ticket and go hunt Africa.

What irks me is that our government knows that the moose in that zone are wiped out and yet they made 170 draws / licences available.

Crazy and Beyond Stupid!
Our government unnoficialy recognises that the tags are irrelevant. Its about the only conformation of what we all know that we will ever get from them so enjoy it.

I've probably taken about a half dozen moose out of 541 and 542 over the years, and as tags get harder to come by elsewhere I appreciate have the opportunity to hunt moose in these zones, as hard as it can be. Cutting tags is not going to fix this problem, so I don't complain to the man about the moose population, they already know and are unable to address the issue. In zones that they still feel have a chance they just keep cutting tags in an attempt to compensate for predator and subsistence demands, if they start cutting tag in the "write off zones" (they actually already have) then the wait will go up further in the better zones. The day they will actually confront the real issues I will happily accept the tag cuts.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

I only made an observation that I wanted to share with fellow Alberta Outdoorsmen and Women. Hunting is expensive and tags are getting harder to come by, so I would not waste you're time in 541.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I only made an observation that I wanted to share with fellow Alberta Outdoorsmen and Women. Hunting is expensive and tags are getting harder to come by, so I would not waste you're time in 541.
Now that is some good advice. A lot of the guys I see hunting these zones are from out of town and have no clue what they are in for, they figure they can just drive around and pop a moose, seen guys from as far away as Lethbridge come up here for the weekend thinking they will leave with a moose... I live pretty close to these zones and I can usually at least find some tracks to follow if I want... but I still don't bother drawing a tag up there more years than not...
Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Now that is some good advice. A lot of the guys I see hunting these zones are from out of town and have no clue what they are in for, they figure they can just drive around and pop a moose, seen guys from as far away as Lethbridge come up here for the weekend thinking they will leave with a moose... I live pretty close to these zones and I can usually at least find some tracks to follow if I want... but I still don't bother drawing a tag up there more years than not...
With all due respect Bushleague one of the men I was with killed some of the biggest moose ever taken out of 541 and we are all good moose hunters. I guess you missed the part about the 2 Argos in the best moose habitat on earth with no moose, where the average person can't go.

All I know is what I saw, and I trust my eyes.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 PM

http://aemerisfiles.alberta.ca/datas...0WMU%20541.pdf

If you weren't in a high or med block no wonder you didn't see a moose...it's a very low density zone period. 0.07/km2 is awful for a whole zone.

S