Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Default Frank Lake

Hey Guys,
I'm looking at hunting frank lake next week. I unfortunately do not have a dog, but have chest waders and a decoy pole for retrieving. I have contacted D.U to ask how deep they said its 5' max in its deepest points. Anyone who has hunted there no for sure? I have no problems walking my ass off or swimming for downed ducks, I won't let one waste! I know most will say get a dog but unfortunately not an option as I live in a condo. Anyone's info would be great.
One other question I've heard some people build blinds there but what's the common build a blind, bring a packable blind, or blind cover sheets. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I was out at Frank Lake last night and the water is low which in turn means it gets deeper faster once you get to the edge of the water. The part we were standing in was a little better than over our hips at the edge of the reeds. Personally I think it would be tough with out a dog but can be done. I would suggest hunting off the dyke that separates the two slews on the north east side of it and staying towards the east side it seems to be a little more shallow over there. I have only ever seen one blind out there and it has been there for quite a few years and looked to falling apart when I went by it last night. Usually we just stand in the reeds they are plenty tall this year. Send me a PM if you want anymore info
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM

You forgot to ask them how deep the mud is under the water. I've had water nearly come over my chest waders in very shallow water because I was up to my thighs in mud. Took me 10 minutes to get the 10 feet back to shore. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You forgot to ask them how deep the mud is under the water. I've had water nearly come over my chest waders in very shallow water because I was up to my thighs in mud. Took me 10 minutes to get the 10 feet back to shore. Good luck!
Very good point
Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 AM

Perfect timing for this thread, I'm wondering the same things!

I scouted a spot a couple weeks ago, threw my waders on just to check the mud... sank 2 feet in on my second step... Oh the curse of being a giant!

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM

First and best option: get a dog, but since that is not possible for you, option 2 is best.

Option 2: take a light spinning rod with a floating 'lure' made out of wood with a couple big fish hooks sticking out of it. Makes it possible to retrieve ducks from a long way out.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks a lot guys! You've all been helpful! I'm headed out on Monday the 9th and maybe Tuesday as well! I'll fill all y'all in on how it went!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Even a cheap vinyl one man inflatable boat is better than wading out. You can cover it with burlap. Get around some ponds, like Dalemead, the mud can be to your knees, it is hard on your constitution just getting around on that stuff, to put dekes out, alone getting out into the water and trying to get a bird out. I'd rather paddle a dinghy 200yds than fight to get out in some of those type of places.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Last year on one of the many trips I made to Frank, I almost had a panic attack because I was retrieving a mallard I shot and it landed in some mud. I waded out to get it and the mud was so deep it started to leak into my chest waders by my armpits. I was afraid because I couldn't move. I actually ended up losing my boots that I wear with my waders because the mud sucked them up and there was no way I was going to attempt to get them.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
First and best option: get a dog, but since that is not possible for you, option 2 is best.

Option 2: take a light spinning rod with a floating 'lure' made out of wood with a couple big fish hooks sticking out of it. Makes it possible to retrieve ducks from a long way out.
This^^^^
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Banned

Any of you Frank Lake hunters want a bad shooter that happens to have the worlds best retriever?

Always up to going out. Send me a message. Much better than swimming in frank.. EWWWWW

Jamie

Tags
frank lake, waterfowl