Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Questions after my first hunt.

Last night was my first time out hunting. I set up a small natural ground blind made of shrubs/sticks and sat in my chair. So one of my questions is. How effective are these natural ground blinds? I set it about 10 yards off the side of a large field. I had a doe and two young ones standing roughly 15 yards in front of me. The doe stared me down for about 1 minute then let out a really loud whistle and buggered off. Obviously the whistle is a warning sound to other deer, but is it worth sticking around there for a few more hours?
Also would you shoot a doe if she had two young ones with her?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Good to see a new hunter "out there"!

Your set up sounds good, I would not change it. While she was staring you down, she either smelled your scent or saw you move, as she was very close. I would not move, but maybe set up another natural blind off of this field to account for wind, so not across from you now, but either to the left or right at the edge of the field as you have done. And, yes, stay there a few more hours, there are usually a lot more dear in the area that do not know you are there.

With regards to the "doe and little ones" (I refer to them as "Joeys") question, that is your personal decisions. I did it once early in my hunting life, and then never for a very long time. Now I will at the end of the season, if it means putting meat in my freezer. I do try and take a "dry" doe at all costs, but me eating in between seasons now outweighs not shooting. My justification is that, usually, they are in good sized groups by the end of November where I hunt, so the little ones - I hope - run off with them and stay together, even without "mom".
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM

That Doe will be cautious of your blind area every time she comes to the field.
You should more than one location as mentioned for wind.
At 15 meters deer will see you blink.
Think of your movements while sitting.

If your nose is itchy, don't snap your hand up to scratch. Move it very slow and deliberate. Same goes for turning your head.
It takes training to become slow.

Sounds like it was a fun time.
Wait till mr big shows up.

Personally I would not shoot the doe. If I wanted meat then it would be her fawn. She would breed again sooner than the fawn would have.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM

I find natural ground to not be effective at first. They need time to sit and the scent of fresh cut branches needs to go away. I use lots of spruce branches and have noticed over the years that the scent of fresh cut spruce seems to always put deer on high alert. Almost like something happened in that area and that fresh scent of cut spruce almost seems to be a deterrent. I also pack some burlap to double up and put across the back. This way they cannot see subtle movement do to light transmission through your blind. Just my findings over the years. I hope this helps. And like others said always have 2 in one area you wish to hunt just incase of a wind change!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM

She must of either seen me blinking or got a smell. I was perfectly still the entire time. On a bright note there was a big bull moose that rolled on through that area about 20 minutes after my encounter with the doe, too bad I don't have a tag..
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Take a look at your blind from the deer's perspective. As others have already stated, you need to have as much cover behind you as in front of you. And you need to play the winds... always.

I use "ground blinds" all the time while hunting elk, they are just spots that naturally (for the most part) provide adequate cover. I have learned my (many) lesson(s) over the years; I have been caught numerous times when I have called from a trail or open hillside without consideration of what would happen if an elk came in quickly (which they often do).

An ideal natural ground blind has some good cover in front, and adequate cover in back.

And think about the sun/light hitting you blind as well. If it is lit from the front, you need more front cover, if the sun is at your back as it goes down, you need a lot more cover behind you.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM

Another question for you folks. What kind of calls do you guys find work best this early in the hunting season.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbuchanan View Post
Another question for you folks. What kind of calls do you guys find work best this early in the hunting season.
What are you hunting? If its deer, mule deer or white tails?

This early calling for white tails is no use IMHO. Calling for mule deer (does) use a predator call, then shoot any incidental wolves and coyotes.

I have called in more mule does calling for coyotes than I ever have when calling for deer.

LC
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbuchanan View Post
Also would you shoot a doe if she had two young ones with her?
No.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM

x2 ^^ I don't need the meat that bad, so I wouldn't.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
x2 ^^ I don't need the meat that bad, so I wouldn't.
x3..dont think a doe will feed me from Dec. to the next opening day???.....