Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Default WMU402 Back SW Road Access

Anyone know if the Atlas Road (I think that is what it's called) is accessible, either from dutch creek road or coming from Coleman. I don't know if the heavy rain in June did any damage to that road or access to that road.

Ideally we want to head back by Tornado mountain or north fork pass. I recall the road was a bit sketchy a few years ago, haven't been there since.

Thanks,

D
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM

I would guess it hasnt improved
Old 08-17-2013, 08:25 AM

[I read they closed the road to no motorized travel.This was susposed to be last summer and they were pulling out the culverts.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM

My buddy was in a few weeks back. Said it was "passable", but only with the right vehicle. He has a lifted wrangler.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Atlas Road

Thanks for the input and PM. I hope to do a day trip soon enough to evaluate the road. I will keep other posted on the condition of the road.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM

road is fine. we were up there last weekend. you can make it way up past window mountain.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Hi just got back from quadding up the Atlas this weekend, The road is in great shape till you get to Smith Creek, right where you turn off to go into the skidoo shack at Smith. There the rains washed out that bridge and it has been replaced with a quad bridge, which is only wide enough for a quad or side by side, otherwise there is no way to get around it. They just replaced a bridge about 1 mile west of north race horse creek, but was told by the guys that were replacing it that this was all that was going to be done, as they had to keep the road passable to get to the gas well on the Atlas at Race Horse creek. If your going to hunt that far north My suggestion would be to go in from Dutch Creek. If you need more info PM me. Hope that helps
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Dutch Creek

I will be heading there this weekend and attempting to go up on Dutch creek road and head back to Atlas road... Hopefully that will work.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM

From the atlas rd you can only go up to smith creek by vehicle which is where the snomobile shelter is after that its by foot or quad. Not sure if you can come in from the dutch creek side into the back but you can not get a vehicle around the whole loop anymore as there are some good washouts between mile 13 and 16.