Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Calgary Boat and Sportsman's Show

Any of you planning to attend? I believe it is the 14th to 17th of February! Any good events going on this year you know about?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

If you like to look at boats go , if not stay home , save your money , go fishin.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM

I agree, I'm very disappointed in our Calgary show. I can't believe how many boats are in there. You'd swear you were in Nova Scotia. It's actually kinda funny, all these boat for sale and no where to put them.

Water in southern Alberta isn't what you would call plentifull.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Tuc, believe it or not more Boats are sold /capita here in Calgary than any other place in North America.

Another little tidbit though I know it is more LOL than truth, is that Lake Windermere has more Horse power/Gallon of water in that lake than any other place.

I also wish the Calgary Sportsman show was more about sports than boats.
That is one of the reasons I am heading to Reno.

But overall, its a good afternoon, with plenty of Salmon fishing trips and a few outfitters thrown in. The other fantastic thing to do is to go to the AHEIA dinner on the Saturday night. I can promise you this isn't your standard F/G dinner. This is really nice with a killer auction both live and silent. I think last year they auctioned off/Gave away 12 guns???

well worth going to and it makes for a great day out with the guys.

Jamie
Jamie
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Jamie, I wouldn't doubt it.

Maybe they could rename it to the Cagary Boat Show!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Well, we are going to be there. It's our first year there...hopefully it is good. We went to Salt Lake City last year and that was a good show, about 90% booths. Just trying to figure out if I should be getting my hopes up about selling a couple trips or not, and what there is to look around at.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up boats

well david dont be selling too many trips, cause im gonna set the new world record off the 33 footer of yours.......havent told my son yet but i told my dad that i was taking him on a salmon halibut fishing trip with you guys this year......cant wait to see my 11 year old real i a big old springer.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

DSS. I think a bunch depends on your sales group and your booth!
If you guys just sit in the booth hardly anyone will talk with you. If you come out of your booth and are to aggressive, people may talk, but will not be overly interested.
Also the design of your both is most important. Lots of taxidermy, big maps, a free draw, your sales people should also be dressed in a uniform of sorts. Ex matching golf shirts with Khakis. Also free give aways are nice. I received a key chain that showed all the different Salmon available on the coast along with a exact description.. I know it didn't cost much but I still have it.
Also a HUGE Plasma TV showing a DVD of your trips will entice people. Another thing to consider is the demographic of your wanted client group. So many company's go after the "Relaxing Trip" idea.. Myself I like EXCITEMENT. I love the sound of that Rod screaming across the ocean. I love the adventure of it all. The feeling of dead arms after a 45 minute fight with a fish or the utter exhaustion of reeling in a Hali. Another point you can make.. If its true, is that you guys have warmer weather. It can get UGLY up north.

You will find your competition to be extremely competent. These guys have been around the block and they know what they are doing. Also what are you doing for a "SHOW SPECIAL"

Make sure you get a Email addy and then make sure you keep in touch with these guys on a monthly basis. if not a weekly basis come Jan and Feb. I know that is when we make up our minds where we are going.
Also another thing to consider is the Fly in package. I hate having to pay for flights once I get to Vancouver.

Anyhow a few thoughts from a fellow sales person and a avid Salmon fisher.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 01-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

I have not been to the Calgary show but it sounds very familiar to the Edmonton show.. And yah way to many boats,, you know I wouldn't even mind that but they should at least have a greater variety of boats.. I get sick and tired of looking at ski boats with towers on them.. Give us a better variety of fishing boats and some decent west coast boats enough of the town kid noise making tubs,, makes me mad just to look at them...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
sheephunter

The group at the sportsmen shows is working very diligently to get more hunting and fishing to the shows but all you can do is lead the horse to water, it's up to them to drink. In the past 1/2 dozen years I've seen both shows transform into much more of a sportsmen event with increased retailers, seminars, outfitters, manufacturers and non-profit groups. FYI, CNSS graciously donates space to groups like AHEIA and AFGA to name only a couple and also donates great amounts of money to them for their causes. Where does this money and free space come from...why the space they sell to groups like the boat dealers of course.

dss44, both shows are well attended and I think if you have a friendly outgoing staff in your booth, you'll be swamped.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-18-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
And yah way to many boats,, you know I wouldn't even mind that but they should at least have a greater variety of boats
Who is they walleyes?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

I geuss I meant the dealers sheep.. I realise that they bring what they sell but it just gets boring looking at the same boat over and over.. Don't get me wrong I am a boat guy big time but it just seems there are to many of the play boats and not enough variety of the larger boats and work boats...

But I do enjoy the show over all.. We have been going every spring for many years now,, just ask the wife...
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 PM
sheephunter

Ya, it kind of puts it in perspective who has the money and what they are spending it one when you see the number of $75,000 ski boats. But good thing is that with those dealers participating it puts money back into conservation. CNSS is making a huge donation to AFGA youth prgrams this year and they've donated some significant money to AHEIA the past number of years. Every time I walk by those halls of big boats I just smile and say thanks for your contribution to conservation! Never look a gift horse in the mouth I say.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
well david dont be selling too many trips, cause im gonna set the new world record off the 33 footer of yours.......havent told my son yet but i told my dad that i was taking him on a salmon halibut fishing trip with you guys this year......cant wait to see my 11 year old real i a big old springer.

There will still be plenty of fish for ya! Gonna make it a last minute surprise? The 11 year old boy who you saw in some of the pictures, his Dad woke him up the morning of their flight and said, get up, we are going to Vancouver Island and going fishing! I think that was pretty awesome! haha.

Jamie,
And yeah, we are getting one of those big back things made...I'm not even sure what they are called exactly...maybe you know what I mean with my horrible description. It'll be my father, my mother (who may be shopping haha), and my self in the booth. And one compliment we get alot is we are extremely enthusiastic...if there is one thing we love to do other than fishing, it's talk fishing! haha I'm not so sure that the huge plasma idea will happen lol. We may just have a show special...if you go to the show you may see it. And we have a newsletter email list...so I email a newsletter with pictures and what not every week or two during the summer and in March/April to remind them of our pretty faces We don't do the fly in from Van, but it's not like we are on the Charlottes, and most ppl like to fly into Vic and drive up...plus from Calgary there is a direct flight to Comox which is only 2hrs south of us. Thanks for the ideas! Def keep them in mind.

Sounds like a fun show...never actually been to calgary other than in the airport...and I've heard it's a nice city..so looking forward to that as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Smile Dave

Worked the edmonton sportsmanshow from 1984-1989 then involved from a distributors stand point untill 1995 i have not been to one since 1997 i noticed then that the trend was changing more towards the boating and camping then hunting and fishing in the early 80's you used to have people from remington winchester wby the ammo mfs and so on would be nice to see a show like that again i belive the reason the fishing hole and campers pulled out was because the cost to rent floor space very expensive
Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
Worked the edmonton sportsmanshow from 1984-1989 then involved from a distributors stand point untill 1995 i have not been to one since 1997 i noticed then that the trend was changing more towards the boating and camping then hunting and fishing in the early 80's you used to have people from remington winchester wby the ammo mfs and so on would be nice to see a show like that again i belive the reason the fishing hole and campers pulled out was because the cost to rent floor space very expensive
Fishin' Hole is involved in the Calgary show and they decided to host their own event in Edmonton. I understand Remington will be in Edmonton as well as Weatherby but not sure who else. I suspect they'll be there in conjunction with one of the retailers.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Smile Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Fishin' Hole is involved in the Calgary show and they decided to host their own event in Edmonton. I understand Remington will be in Edmonton as well as Weatherby but not sure who else. I suspect they'll be there in conjunction with one of the retailers.
It is good to here they will be at the show i might have to make an apperance this year not sure if the mfg rep's are still the same people been out of the industry for since 97 would be nice to vist some old freinds is still around thanks Sheephunter for the info
Old 01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
There will still be plenty of fish for ya! Gonna make it a last minute surprise? The 11 year old boy who you saw in some of the pictures, his Dad woke him up the morning of their flight and said, get up, we are going to Vancouver Island and going fishing! I think that was pretty awesome! haha.

Jamie,
And yeah, we are getting one of those big back things made...I'm not even sure what they are called exactly...maybe you know what I mean with my horrible description. It'll be my father, my mother (who may be shopping haha), and my self in the booth. And one compliment we get alot is we are extremely enthusiastic...if there is one thing we love to do other than fishing, it's talk fishing! haha I'm not so sure that the huge plasma idea will happen lol. We may just have a show special...if you go to the show you may see it. And we have a newsletter email list...so I email a newsletter with pictures and what not every week or two during the summer and in March/April to remind them of our pretty faces We don't do the fly in from Van, but it's not like we are on the Charlottes, and most ppl like to fly into Vic and drive up...plus from Calgary there is a direct flight to Comox which is only 2hrs south of us. Thanks for the ideas! Def keep them in mind.

Sounds like a fun show...never actually been to calgary other than in the airport...and I've heard it's a nice city..so looking forward to that as well.

Dave sounds like you guys have it all together. Remeber though you can rent one of those honking TV's.
I am sure you guys will do a fine job at the show!

Good luck, and I also sent you a PM so that you can add me to your mail list.
Yah never know when I will get sucked into a family vaction on the coast, and I would love to show my kids just how much fun this is!

Jamie
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, it kind of puts it in perspective who has the money and what they are spending it one when you see the number of $75,000 ski boats. But good thing is that with those dealers participating it puts money back into conservation. CNSS is making a huge donation to AFGA youth prgrams this year and they've donated some significant money to AHEIA the past number of years. Every time I walk by those halls of big boats I just smile and say thanks for your contribution to conservation! Never look a gift horse in the mouth I say.
Thats nice to see the dealers participating like that sheep,, I had no idea how much they contributed to programs.. See now I can tell the wife that she is contributing to conservation when we go... Thx sheep...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM

I like the lay-out in Edmonton.
Boats in one hall, quads in another.
We just booked our booth, # 518 in hunting hall "D"
Right accross from the Rem display.
Pretty dangerous as the wife has her sights set on that new rifle.
Could be costly LOL.

TBark
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

Sheep.. I did not know that they did that.

See you learn something new every day.

Well good on them! Bring on more boats.. (but I want some more hunting stuff there as well )

I still really think there is a market for guiding Alberta hunters in Alberta..
Some of you guides should take a hard look at that.. That way we would have more hunting stuff at our show!

Wow.. Its all so simple
(Yes, I am patting myself on the back )

Jamie
Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Default guiding

jeez that may be one way of getting more alberta resident to come on a fully guided week trophy bear hunt eh jamie.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Sheep.. I did not know that they did that.

See you learn something new every day.

Well good on them! Bring on more boats.. (but I want some more hunting stuff there as well )

I still really think there is a market for guiding Alberta hunters in Alberta..
Some of you guides should take a hard look at that.. That way we would have more hunting stuff at our show!

Wow.. Its all so simple
(Yes, I am patting myself on the back )

Jamie

Ya, there's usually a "rest of the story" but surprised you didn't know that with your AHEIA involvement.....CNSS has been very generous to them. The ladies that run the show are super good people that really care about sportsmen in this province.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Sheep.. Though I am a big fan of AHEIA I am not involved with the fund raising end of things.
But I set a personal goal to be more involved with them this year.

Jamie
Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well , we may as well let the sportscar dealers in the building too , their money will also help with conservation , oh , and how bout skiers groups , thats a sport too , lets set up a wooden ski run in the building , some trucks would be nice to look at while we,re there , now we,re really cooking , money coming from all sides , haaaaa.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Default haaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Well , we may as well let the sportscar dealers in the building too , their money will also help with conservation , oh , and how bout skiers groups , thats a sport too , lets set up a wooden ski run in the building , some trucks would be nice to look at while we,re there , now we,re really cooking , money coming from all sides , haaaaa.

yea and we could have a azzhole stand and you could be the main **** that runs it.haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

just another positive post by bud.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default Also

On an added note , and l was,nt being sarcastic to Sheep on last post , but l remember going to the Sporstsman show years ago with my dad back when it was only called , THE SPORTSMAN SHOW .
There were hunting booths/fishing tanks , archery shooting lanes , prize giveaways, not to many boats , and the ones that were there were small fishing ones , and lots of hands on stuff.
Over the years the boat dealers got in the door figureing good way to advertise their product , and the name was changed to what it is today.
Now its gotten to the point that hunting (not so much fishing) is being pushed out the door, well maybe fishing too ,because the Fly Fishing groups have left and are now out at the Spruce Meadows show this year , and were at the Max Bell arena the years before.
The Hunting and Fishing related sponsers and groups should look seriously at starting a new show called THE HUNTING and FISHING SHOW , with lots of related hands on fun , stuff for kids/adults all related to our activity in the field , then maybe the fishin hole and other groups like the flyfishers and hunting groups can get back in the same building together again.
Maybe theres not enough hunters anymore to make this work , so bringing in non hunting/fishing booths are ways to make it worth well , but it also chases the hunters and fisherman , whoops ,( fisherpersons ), away .
l realize boats are used to fish too , but monster Ski boats , well thats a whole different sport , and belong on there own , l believe they did have a boat show at the convention centre last year .

Last edited by BUD; 01-19-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 AM
gopherslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
On an added note , and l was,nt being sarcastic to Sheep on last post , but l remember going to the Sporstsman show years ago with my dad back when it was only called , THE SPORTSMAN SHOW .
There were hunting booths/fishing tanks , archery shooting lanes , prize giveaways, not to many boats , and the ones that were there were small fishing ones , and lots of hands on stuff.
Over the years the boat dealers got in the door figureing good way to advertise their product , and the name was changed to what it is today.
Now its gotten to the point that hunting (not so much fishing) is being pushed out the door, well maybe fishing too ,because the Fly Fishing groups have left and are now out at the Spruce Meadows show this year , and were at the Max Bell arena the years before.
The Hunting and Fishing related sponsers and groups should look seriously at starting a new show called THE HUNTING and FISHING SHOW , with lots of related hands on fun , stuff for kids/adults all related to our activity in the field , then maybe the fishin hole and other groups like the flyfishers and hunting groups can get back in the same building together again.
Maybe theres not enough hunters anymore to make this work , so bringing in non hunting/fishing booths are ways to make it worth well , but it also chases the hunters and fisherman , whoops ,( fisherpersons ), away .
l realize boats are used to fish too , but monster Ski boats , well thats a whole different sport , and belong on there own , l believe they did have a boat show at the convention centre last year .
I find this happening also. The wife and I are pretty picky now on which ones we will go to. I don't like walking around a bunch of RV and high end boats when I'm looking at hunting and fishing booths. I know they are a part of it...just seems like they are the bigger part of it now *shrug*
Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
yea and we could have a azzhole stand and you could be the main **** that runs it.haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

just another positive post by bud.
And another one by YOU too , haaaaaaaaa.
P/S you can be my Barker at my said stand also.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM

How many of you guys are going to be at the show? From the various threads I've been reading (aka most entertaining thread thread), seems like a lot of you are great guys, with good sense of humours...love to meet some of ya.

Cheers,
David