Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Exclamation In Search of Shore Fishing Spots

Im looking to see if anyone has any quality shore fishing spots they can let me in on within a roughly 2 hour radius around Edmonton. I live in a town called Wetaskiwin just south of Edmonton about 45 minutes but I am willing to travel an hour or two if the chances of catching fish are decent. Unfortunately I have no access to a boat at this time in life but Id still like to get as much fishing in as I can even if it is just from the shore.

Coal Lake is the closest spot I can fish from shore. There is a dam that the lake falls over and a stream that continus south where we can catch various fish. Ive caught small pike further down the stream and snagged a decent sucker just below the dam using mostly spoons and some small rapala lures.

The reason I explain this is to give whoever an idea of the type of fishing I am doing and am familiar with. Im open to an adventure and if a hike is necessary I find that all the better.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:08 PM

The NSR is a pretty outstanding fishery. From Devon all the way out past the Fort, with lots of good shore fishing spots. Rundle and Hermitage Parks have good access and a few deep holes. The confluence of the the Sturgeon and NSR past Fort Sask holds a lot of decent sized fish as well. Stay away from where the whitemud dumps in as it's usually really crowded.

I don't fish around your area, so can't help you with things closer to home.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM

I live in Wetaskiwin as well. When my boat is out of the shop I'll hit you up. Around here I fish pigeon, battle, buck, gull and buffalo on weekends. About every third weekend I go up north to moose, pinehurst, touchwood, and LLB. If you have weekends free let me know. The lakes around here are day trips, the ones up north are over night trips.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
The NSR is a pretty outstanding fishery. From Devon all the way out past the Fort, with lots of good shore fishing spots. Rundle and Hermitage Parks have good access and a few deep holes. The confluence of the the Sturgeon and NSR past Fort Sask holds a lot of decent sized fish as well. Stay away from where the whitemud dumps in as it's usually really crowded.

I don't fish around your area, so can't help you with things closer to home.

Thanks for the insight! I tried a few spots yesterday near the walterdale bridge, i also went off of fox drixe where the creek meets the nsr and near a water treatment plant i believe it was in the eastern region of the city. I will be trying further down the river toward fort sask like you mentioned what would you recommend for bait or lures?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 PM

I'm from wetaskiwin as well! glad to contribute any way that I can.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetroff16 View Post
Thanks for the insight! I tried a few spots yesterday near the walterdale bridge, i also went off of fox drixe where the creek meets the nsr and near a water treatment plant i believe it was in the eastern region of the city. I will be trying further down the river toward fort sask like you mentioned what would you recommend for bait or lures?
I only fly fish so can't help you out in terms of gear. The confluence of the sturgeon in late summer gets a lot of frogs and top water patterns work really well. The rest of the year I use steamers to get pike and walleye. They haven't be overly picky as of yet.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Try the Sunken Bridge west of Ponoka.

South of overpass on highway 2 a couple of miles to twp rd 422 west to rr263 and north to bridge. F&W checking there last fall.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfarmer View Post
Try the Sunken Bridge west of Ponoka.

South of overpass on highway 2 a couple of miles to twp rd 422 west to rr263 and north to bridge. F&W checking there last fall.

Good luck
Is that the battle river?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Is that the battle river?
Yes
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 PM

That spot on battle is pretty decent if u hike in about 200m around the first bend the fishing is good throughout that spot but the damn holds a few pike all the time. gets really shallow past the second damn.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Banned

I would suggest you explore the Battle river. I think it is the closest river to you. check google earth, or a good map to see where you can get close with the road. Might even want a county map, as I bet a lot of good access spots are on private property. Do some door knocking to get permission to find a good honey hole. Good luck
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I live in Wetaskiwin as well. When my boat is out of the shop I'll hit you up. Around here I fish pigeon, battle, buck, gull and buffalo on weekends. About every third weekend I go up north to moose, pinehurst, touchwood, and LLB. If you have weekends free let me know. The lakes around here are day trips, the ones up north are over night trips.
What an offer
Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 AM

I had good luck catching walleye at the boat launch at Pigeon Lake last Saturday. The bite was on from 730 to 9 at night.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
What an offer
Ya, if my boat ever gets out of the shop.....been there almost a month and a half....all because it wasn't pumping water....gonna pull it out and do it myself this weekend.....(impeller or pump)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I had good luck catching walleye at the boat launch at Pigeon Lake last Saturday. The bite was on from 730 to 9 at night.
I was there that evening as well. Had great success
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Banned

I don't think the rivers will be any good for 3-4 weeks,especially after all the rain and the mountain water is prob coming down too.The North Sask is very high.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliderslider View Post
I was there that evening as well. Had great success
At the provincial park?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I lived in Wetaskiwin years ago. I used to fish the north end of Coal Lake, where the road to Rollyview crosses the northern tip of the lake.

The first few years after the lake was filled it was good fishing below the dam and better still at the outlet of the bypass channel but after a few years that kinda dropped off.

There's a bridge on a county road on the west side of the lake just north of the dam. That was a good spot for a while but then it too droped off.

The last I fished there the north end on the Rolly View road was the only part of the lake that still produced good catches, and then only early in the year.

Later in the summer I fished out west mostly. Mostly more then an hour west.

I did have a canoe but mostly I fished from the shore.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-13-2017, 05:58 PM

Is there any good browns in that creek near the dam? Sounds pretty close to where I live. Would love to check out somewhere new

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solominotaur View Post
Is there any good browns in that creek near the dam? Sounds pretty close to where I live. Would love to check out somewhere new

No.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 PM

Darn I'm trying to find new places to try out the fly rod

Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Where do you live?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM

Used to fish on the north side of coal lake on the east bank. By the water treatment plant used to be ok too.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Where do you live?
I'm in Edmonton

Old 06-13-2017, 09:09 PM

Holy talking moose! Get your boat back yet?...I won't even guess where you took your boat to get fixed because I already know....it's a water pump or impeller and the parts are in in 24 hours and under a hundo but it'ĺl be a grand in the end and you just might miss the entire season. That bunch should be locked up. Sold me a boat with a cracked head that was j.b welded and full of stop leak then told me I did that and it never even left the trailer just thought I better go thru it....
Old 06-13-2017, 11:00 PM

Tomorrow a friend and I will be headed out towards the dickson dam area to try our luck. Last week we went to battle lake and caught a few. Of course my pals caught the only two walleye we came across out if battle lake and me only pike.. But hey it was still fun. I invested in some chest waders so although I dont have a boat to get out onto the lake at least i can fish out past my waist. Thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 PM

Give us an update, I'd love to try new fishing spots around edmonton

Old 06-13-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Holy talking moose! Get your boat back yet?...I won't even guess where you took your boat to get fixed because I already know....it's a water pump or impeller and the parts are in in 24 hours and under a hundo but it'ĺl be a grand in the end and you just might miss the entire season. That bunch should be locked up. Sold me a boat with a cracked head that was j.b welded and full of stop leak then told me I did that and it never even left the trailer just thought I better go thru it....
Ya I'm pulling it out tomorrow.... month and a half and never did anything yet. Was told it would be checked out in a few days.....
Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I don't know of anything other then stocked ponds where a guy can fly fish around the Edmonton area.

I used to go out west for fly fishing. I have fished the Ram, Hummingbird Creek, the East Prairie creek, the Burland and Stoufer Creek. caught trout on dry flies in every one of them. And a few Mountain Whitefish.
Never caught a fish worth keeping though.

I often thought of trying flies on the Red Deer river. Just east of the city there is some good fishing with a few Trout and a lot of Goldeye.
But I never tried it.
I did fish that part of the Red Deer but with spinners. I also had a severe allergic reaction from eating fish I caught there. Only time in my whole life I ever had hives. Don't know what in those fish caused it and never want to find out. Once was more then enough.

George Bernard Shaw

Tags
angling, edmonton, fishing, shore fishing, wetaskiwin