Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Weather - Whats the deal?

What is the deal with this weather? Thought thing were supposed to be getting warmer? Well below seasonal averages and generally just been a crappy spring. I am set to go fishing may long weekend up north, starting to think that may not happen.

Anyone else with any may long trips planned? Any opinions on whether or not the ice will be off the lakes by then in Northern AB and SK?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
What is the deal with this weather? Thought thing were supposed to be getting warmer? Well below seasonal averages and generally just been a crappy spring. I am set to go fishing may long weekend up north, starting to think that may not happen.

Anyone else with any may long trips planned? Any opinions on whether or not the ice will be off the lakes by then in Northern AB and SK?
If it stays like this some lakes could be a problem ** cough ** Cold Lake **cough**.
It is early though and if May is normal then it will not be a problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Welcome to Alberta. Where the forecast is made up, and the seasons don't matter.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Gone Hunting

...and some people said that carbon tax wouldn't stop that pesky global warming......
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Tired of waiting for that good ole timey global warming, spending the May 24 in Mexico.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 AM

Facebook was nice enough to give me a reminder that a week ago last year i was fishing some nice open water for trout and this year it looks like i won't be fishing it until May. Soon enough this will all be over with and we will be enjoying the good times and tight lines.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Yeah, last year I caught my first big trout on April 7; this year I had to wait until yesterday, so about two weeks later.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM

I guess I'm concerned that some of the larger lakes up north wont be ice free by May long. Last year was a totally different story but this year the ice was thicker all winter and this spring has been garbage as far as weather goes. I spoke to someone up there yesterday and they said the lake doesn't even look like it has started to melt. That's discouraging as I've already booked the time off work and made plans with friends for us to take the trip so im keeping my fingers crossed. Need some 20 degree days, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Might want to plan to fish further South with the crowds. Some fishing is better than none.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I'm concerned that some of the larger lakes up north wont be ice free by May long. Last year was a totally different story but this year the ice was thicker all winter and this spring has been garbage as far as weather goes. I spoke to someone up there yesterday and they said the lake doesn't even look like it has started to melt. That's discouraging as I've already booked the time off work and made plans with friends for us to take the trip so im keeping my fingers crossed. Need some 20 degree days, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.
Trout ponds around morinville this morning might have 20ft open around the edges in some spots. Hell... Wabamun sailing clubs live feed, I doubt even Wabamun will be payable by May 15.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm sure you'd find people in those areas who will be thankful everything isn't burning on May long weekend.

6 one way....
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I'm sure you'd find people in those areas who will be thankful everything isn't burning on May long weekend.

6 one way....
Answer the question or don't

If he was talking about how hot and dry it was you would be whining about the flood in calgary
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Answer the question or don't

If he was talking about how hot and dry it was you would be whining about the flood in calgary
I did answer the question actually.
Makes no sense complaining about the weather.

It's going to do what it does and there is nothing anybody can do about it.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:57 PM

I guess we might need to invest in a icebreaker if this keeps up. I bought a new boat at the show and been iching to try it out, at this rate it could be late june before the ice comes off.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:44 PM

lakes in the south have been wide open for weeks.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Should be cutting grass and planting spuds instead of shoveling snow. Remember all that ***** frost and fog we had? The old boys always said sooner or later you gonna get weeks of wet weather...oh well it happens fir a reason. Terrible forecasting tho I don't know why they even bother with 14 day forecasts in good ol alberta .
Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Should be cutting grass and planting spuds instead of shoveling snow. Remember all that ***** frost and fog we had? The old boys always said sooner or later you gonna get weeks of wet weather...oh well it happens fir a reason. Terrible forecasting tho I don't know why they even bother with 14 day forecasts in good ol alberta .
No kidding they can forecast a day in advance nevermind 14

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
No kidding they cant forecast a day in advance nevermind 14

Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
If it stays like this some lakes could be a problem ** cough ** Cold Lake **cough**.
It is early though and if May is normal then it will not be a problem.
it's still trying to snow.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 PM

One day i'm raking up some leaves and the next day i'm shoveling snow.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:

forecast is Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.....
Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 AM

Unless the weather warms up substantially over the next two weeks, you might want to consider the option of fishing smaller, shallower lakes in the area you are interested in. Smaller lakes will have much earlier ice-out, though you might not have have the fishing action/species you originally intended when booking this trip.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Unless the weather warms up substantially over the next two weeks, you might want to consider the option of fishing smaller, shallower lakes in the area you are interested in. Smaller lakes will have much earlier ice-out, though you might not have have the fishing action/species you originally intended when booking this trip.
And may long weekend....enjoy the rain, snow and many fools that will be out....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM

I'll take a trip out to Pigeon before the May long and report back. No use doing it now since I took my winter tires off
Maybe in a couple weeks...
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 PM

My cabin is at calling lake and the season doesn't open till the first of June. looks like no one is getting a heads start on us this year. This is the natural ebbs and flows of nature. Paople talk about the "balance of nature" it's really more like the "forces of nature" there are many forces at work in the natural world and the last think we want is a perfect balance. If that were the case, we would loose most of our bio diversity. Who knows, it could be the best spawning for many fish spiecies this year. There are allways winners and loosers, and thats the way it shold be.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:40 PM

Lot's of time before May long. The ice will be off the lakes. It goes really fast.

I will see you all at Cold Lake or Wabamun. Haven't decided where to pop the 2017 cherry yet.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Lot's of time before May long. The ice will be off the lakes. It goes really fast.

I will see you all at Cold Lake or Wabamun. Haven't decided where to pop the 2017 cherry yet.
I'm with EZM. Looking ahead for Central, nothing below zero forecast after this weekend. There is still another 2 weeks after that as well.

Now Maligne, that is doubtful
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Looks like a roller coaster ride for the next 2 months.
http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range...-saskatchewan/
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Shuswap lake-back country trip/fishing on may long. Very pumped!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM

I would suggest lakes around Edmonton should be ice free within a week of the may long. Cold Lake very unlikely.