Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Yes, PLEASE. I would sincerely enjoy that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Read ...

"NOTIFICATION TO ALBERTA AND SASKATCHEWAN BEEF, DAIRY AND FEEDLOT INDUSTRY GROUPS

BOVINE TUBERCULOSIS (TB) INVESTIGATION – ALBERTA October 2016 "

"Generally, findings of Bovine TB do not pose a threat to public health in Canada. This is due to the extremely low prevalence of the disease in Canada. However, individuals who have extended, close contact with an infected animal while it is alive are at risk of contracting the disease. Anyone who was in close contact with animals confirmed to have the disease is advised to contact their physician and/or local health authority. "

" Although the CFIA does not have a program specifically designed to control disease in wildlife populations, the CFIA collaborates with other involved agencies (e.g. Provincial authorities, Parks Canada) to conduct wildlife surveillance in the vicinity of an infected livestock herd"
enuf already
Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM

Yes enough already!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 PM

interesting to say the least , thanks WB and Arach
Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
interesting to say the least , thanks WB and Arach
AND Pixel...:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:38 PM

The threshold of what is acceptable risk has to change with the situation we face.

These changes seem to come so rapid that I want a time machine: but that is not going to happen.

But I know that we are living in the "good old days" of future's reference. Somehow that makes me feel better as a common man without the know how of how to bargain for a better deal.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
I might have a little experience as well Dan. I've worked in that base since long before you came to Canada... no disrespect intended.

Now if I posted something incorrect, please feel free to set things straight. It's well known that our government is urine poor in the communication no matter what the topic.

Facts as we know them....access is currently being restricted OUTSIDE the base on the north end. A cow that was grazed in Suffield has tested positive for TB. There are a couple hundred guys wondering if hunts inside the base are a go. This morning, the latest range safety calendar indicates anyone working in the base needs to be wearing orange vests as of Nov 1.

I'm not sure if any of those qualify as snippets, but they sure as hell aren't rumours. Those are the facts that are known at the moment. I'm sure if you were one of the guys living in say GP, Ft Mac, !or any other number of places not particularly close to Suffield and had a tag in your pocket I'd guess you would appreciate the info.
Who told you the cow in question was grazed in the block?
Now I agree that it's not written in stone, but as of this morning the info says the hunts are on. Yep they could change this afternoon, tomorrow, the weekend or even Monday morning. If I find that to be fact I'll post that too.

On another note, 2 deer have been killed from your blind so far. Gimme a couple hours and I'll see if we can't add to the count.
Im curious how you know the cow in question was grazed on the block?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:32 AM

Walkign Buffalo (and others),
Just an update, I just interviewed with one of the leading scientists at the helm of the outbreak in the 90s. And the reason why I had to do the interview at this ungodly hour is because she's at a the global TB conference right now in the UK...

Anyway, I don't know what you heard or from whom, but there were absolutely NO human fatalities associated with this outbreak. There were approximately 1,000 humans tested, and a handful were treated. The positives that did happen were the result of continued and close aerosol exposures from infected animals.

There's a lot more to share, obviously, but I'm working pretty hard on this, and I want to keep the info I've obtained in my own domain so it isn't scooped by a less reputable media person/entity.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
It was a feeder /grass fattened animal that was killed in the US plant, meat inspectors found the TB lesions on the lungs. With the new CFIA electric tags every animal sold for slaughter can be tracked down to the last land location which needs to be on your manifest. So as long as the producer wrote the LL honestly it will be tracked to the last 1/4 it was on, then all previous 1/4s until they can hopefully find out where it came from.. it still seems a bit suspicious, we are putting trust in the US agency's as well ..
Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Just an update, I just interviewed with one of the leading scientists at the helm of the outbreak in the 90s. And the reason why I had to do the interview at this ungodly hour is because she's at a the global TB conference right now in the UK...

Anyway, I don't know what you heard or from whom, but there were absolutely NO human fatalities associated with this outbreak. There were approximately 1,000 humans tested, and a handful were treated. The positives that did happen were the result of continued and close aerosol exposures from infected animals.

There's a lot more to share, obviously, but I'm working pretty hard on this, and I want to keep the info I've obtained in my own domain so it isn't scooped by a less reputable media person/entity.
Thanks for the leg work!!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Dr. Anne Fanning?

I certainly never said nor implied that anyone died from TB during that outbreak.
From a source who referenced information from Anne.
The "handful" of TB Positive exposures was 42 people.
The veterinarian that first handled and misdiagnosed a TB+ infected elk before did himself become TB+.

Of the 1000+ that were exposed to TB during that epidemic, many were secondary handlers on the production line of farmed elk products, not just people with access inside the elk farms. Transporters, handlers, butchers, waste removal personnel, tanning facility employees.

I am NOT suggesting that we need to do the headless chicken.
With care and knowledge, people can safely continue to hunt and eat wildlife from TB hot zones. Heck, we do not even know if a single elk is infected. No need to panic, just be aware. And the Gov MUST get moving, inform and support the hunting community!

Thanks for working on this. Hope you make that call.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I want to keep the info I've obtained in my own domain so it isn't scooped by a less reputable media person/entity.
You mean the CBC?

All kidding aside, a BIG thanks to you and WB for the updates.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:10 PM

For a little more perspective lets remember that there are typically around 1500-1600 cases of TB in humans in Canada yearly.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
For a little more perspective lets remember that there are typically around 1500-1600 cases of TB in humans in Canada yearly.
Bovine TB?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Update....

F&W is emailing this notification through RELM to those that drew big game licences.
I have not been able to find a publicly available link to the notice on any government site.
From what I can tell, those that hold general licences (archery and WT) and the aboriginal community still will not have been notified of the concern other than through this thread and word of mouth.

The statement that there will NOT be a TB testing program for wildlife might give some relief to those concerned of an Elk eradication program occurring in the short term.

TB Notification Letter
http://s34466679.t.en25.com/e/es?s=3...d=7441&elqat=1

A case of bovine tuberculosis in a domestic cow was linked to a premises in southeastern Alberta (northwest of Medicine Hat). Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is conducting a thorough disease investigation to address the risks. Current risk evaluation indicates a very low risk that ungulates in and around Canadian Forces Base Suffield (CFB Suffield) are infected with bovine tuberculosis.

Ongoing information is available from CFIA at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/tb. For CFB Suffield hunters, AEP staff will also be able to provide information regarding the potential for bovine tuberculosis and appropriate precautions during the daily briefings.

Q: Is hunting cancelled or access restricted in the areas where my special licence is valid?

A: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has limited movement of cattle in some public lands but has not restricted access of hunters nor the removal of their harvested game animals. Scheduled hunting seasons have not been changed. Local landowners/land managers may establish their own access criteria.

Q: Is there a risk to human health and are there precautions that need to be taken?

A: Bovine tuberculosis can infect humans but does not readily transfer to people and the risk in association with wild game is very low. Hunters can take precautions by wearing waterproof gloves when you handle the internal tissues of harvested animals; wash your hands, knives, and clothes in warm soapy water; and cook meat well, until the juices run clear. Smoking, freezing, or drying meat will NOT destroy the bacteria. Additional information is available under the bovine tuberculosis heading at http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...s/default.aspx.

Q: Will harvested animals be tested?

A: The risk of bovine tuberculosis in wildlife is very low. Active testing will not occur; however, local hunters are encouraged to learn about bovine tuberculosis and if you see a suspicious abscess in the lymph nodes, lungs, or chest cavity of your harvested animal, contact an Alberta Environment and Parks or Fish and Wildlife district office.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
Sorry I have been out hunting for a couple days. Didn't ignore you on purpose.
While I didn't trace the origin of the animal myself I'm just relaying the facts that have been released so far.
Further updates are that 30 area ranches have been placed under quarantine and at last word it looks as though there may be a few thousand animals slaughtered as a result. Apparently the Medicine Hat News had an article Friday with more news.
Now this part is rumour, but it's coming from someone who would know....Word keeps growing that the elk may face a similar fate. Again, I'm not totally sure how I feel about that...but it would solve a few problems in southern Alberta.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Again, I'm not totally sure how I feel about that...but it would solve a few problems in southern Alberta.
I'm in the same boat as you on this one. Would hate to see the eradication of so many animals on one hand, but as you and I both know, the elk hunt and all of the resulting nonsense that has accompanied it has set hunter/landowner relations back worse than anyone ever could have imagined. Thank God for long standing relationships that have generally been able to withstand the access restrictions that have been, and continue to mount.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
That was just about my very first that. Way too convenient to me. Either the Cattlemen Ass. or the Base. Get one rancher to take one for the team and get rid of the elk once and for all. Call me paranoid.
no i would call you a rational thinker. a dying breed if you will. Amen to you and meg, nice to see there are still a few left out there.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:09 PM

...and the block experts come out of the woodwork once again.. I worked there for (insert number) years and I know the rules..animals..roads..etc. Give your keyboard fingers a rest there contractors...
Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 PM

More news.

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/loca...officials-say/

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM

So I have a draw tag for outside the base Nov 15- Dec 15 (or 20 to 20, can't remember)
Is it even worth hunting there this year with all of the pastures shut down? I'm looking for a meat bull, not an old horn-swauggler
Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

News like this is part of why I have been disseminating the information specifically to those that care about wildlife.

"A major reduction or total elimination of elk on CFB Suffield is “past due” say local officials in light of detection in the area of bovine tuberculosis — a disease commonly carried by elk and passed to cattle."

And even More Commonly from cattle to elk!

Gamefarms transfer CWD to wild deer across North America.
Cattle transfers TB to Elk in Manitoba.
Cattle transfers Johne's disease (Paratuburculosis) to Bighorn sheep in Waterton/Castle area....

We need to stay on top of this to make sure that the government does NOT make any extreme decisions.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:18 PM

To anyone with knowledge of TB testing,

From the testing they are currently doing on cattle from the area, do they expect to be able to say conclusively if it originated from elk or not? Is there any way to tell?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
So I have a draw tag for outside the base Nov 15- Dec 15 (or 20 to 20, can't remember)
Is it even worth hunting there this year with all of the pastures shut down? I'm looking for a meat bull, not an old horn-swauggler
Make some calls and see who may not be shut down? Hope you can get out. I had that draw time last year.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 PM

My hunting partner and I have been in 151 since Monday. Not looking good for access anywhere on the south side of the red deer river. Even the Jenner colony has shut down the hunting. Government inspectors were at the colony today when we were there. Sounds like lots of rumours around here, I didn't hear one story the same. One thing they seem to agree on though, is they don't like the elk. The impression I got from the land owners we talked too is ,talking to hunters is the last thing they want to deal with. It's not going to be a good hunting season around here.