Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 AM

Smile Target acquisition?

I need a little help. The crop is down and I can see the coyotes 300 to 400 meters away. The gun is sighted in and the ammo is sub moa at all ranges.

I keep both eyes open. I have the magnification dialed up to 12x. The targets are moving. I can hit them if I can get them in the scope. I have a tactical scope on the rifle which was nice when I was working up the load. The rifle is a .243.

I can switch scopes, but not that easy, I'd have to re-sight in. I know I can dial back the magnification.

I'm very sure of the target range. The coyotes are very well camouflaged.

I have 3 litters of pups on the ground and the coyotes can hear them and have been hanging around.

I'm shooting a 55 grain pill at close to 4000 fps.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

practice makes perfect
Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 AM

What is it you need help with?
Cat
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM

Smile How can I practice this skill?

The coyote blends in very well with the stubble field, he knows that he is exposed and is not running but moves at a brisk trot.

Sometimes I can get them to stop (and sit) if I whistle, those ones I hit.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM

If you can't find the coyotes in the scope adjust the magnification. You don't need 12x to shoot a coyote at 400 yards.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Banned

how i like to do it is i go from a walking position and then attempt to get on target with our gongs at the range either free hand or with a bipod.

another thing i've found helpful is that pointing a shotgun gets you to point a rifle better so if you practice getting on target fast with a shotgun it will help your rifle skills
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 AM

Smile What I'm thinking...

Should I switch to a scope that has a wider field of view, and is there an easy way to do this without having to keep sighting in? I could also switch rifles, I have a 223 that is sighted in and had a BDC scope.

I'm intrigued by that rail system I read about here where it seems you can just quickly change glass at will.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Default target acquisition

i have found it very difficult to find the target (a coyote) at 6.5 power on my variable varmint extreme in certain conditions just because the field of view is quite small so I cant imagine trying to find them with a 12 power. Dialing down the power will give you a wider field of view. At 400 yards I would be fine at 6.5 I suspect for me it is the 100-150 yard ones that are tough to find in a reduced field of view. The 22-250 has a 6.5 to 20 whille the 223 has a 4.5 -14
Rob
Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM

Yes dial the scope down but also get your eye above the scope to get a general area to point the scope toward. Then put your eye in the scope may help

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Should I switch to a scope that has a wider field of view, and is there an easy way to do this without having to keep sighting in? I could also switch rifles, I have a 223 that is sighted in and had a BDC scope.

I'm intrigued by that rail system I read about here where it seems you can just quickly change glass at will.
I would just get a scope that lets you dial it back a touch like wwbirds sugested. At 12x trying to find a moving target would be a bit tricky.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-31-2016, 11:02 AM

I have 2 suggestions.

1. Hunt with a partner to help point out targets.
2. Setup sticks or posts or flagging in field for reference.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:18 AM

If you do in fact shoot both eyes open, keep your focus on the coyote and without breaking focus, bring your cheek into the rifle stock and you should naturally be bringing the target into your sight picture....Doing this at 12x though may be a bit tougher, i would dial the scope down to the very last magnification power where you still get full eye relief.

IF you're not familiar with what im talking about. Practice with your gun shouldered, looking over the scope and focusing on your target with both eyes open. Do not break focus and bring your sights into the picture. If you are keeping focus, your hands, arms, shoulder whatever the case may be should naturally bring your scope onto your target, if it doesnt happen instantly, you should find yourself adjusting with little thought. For some this method comes easier than other but I hope others can vouch with me on this. THis is how i have taught alot of beginners to shoot scoped rifles. Really seems to work.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM

Smile Thanks guys

I'll dial it back, done, and hope that the poi hasn't moved.

I shoot off bags on a shooting bench on my porch, and the coyotes almost always travel in the dead furrow on the edge of the crop so the shots are 200 M plus or minus 10 M and the rifle is dead range.

I'm going to try the practice that has been suggested.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:31 AM

Smile More important info.

Thanks for all your help. It turns out that the prairie is not as flat as I thought! It is full of very small hills and valleys. The path that the coyotes are using, surprise, surprise has lots of what soldiers call "dead ground" that is ground that is not visible to me the shooter.

It is possible that with the narrow field of view the coyote was moving through one of these "safe" areas while I was trying to pick him up in the scope.

The advice has not been wasted, I've dialed the scope back to 4 power and it is more than adequate at the range I am shooting. I'll try to see if I can practice some of the other suggestions.

The cows have returned to my shooting range so it won't be as easy as before.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

I seldom shoot moving coyotes. Even walking is too fast for constant, reliable kills. Try Barking or howling to get them to stop instead of whistling.

You could also try to lipsqueak them in closer. A coyote can hear a lipsqueak out to 400 yds in my experience.

The 223 can be deadly to 300 ydss regularly. I have shot several out to 400 yds.when they are standing and I've ranged them with a rangefinder. The 243 should be deadly.

If you do not use shooting sticks or a bipod, you should consider it. I prefer the bipod. but others like the sticks.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM

You need to spot them first since they are moving slow (spotting scope) dial down the scope ( im only at 10x when shooting at a ipcs target at 1300 yards) ...then get an accurate wind reading specially with a 223 then go tontown on them
Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendIt View Post
You need to spot them first since they are moving slow (spotting scope) dial down the scope ( im only at 10x when shooting at a ipcs target at 1300 yards) ...then get an accurate wind reading specially with a 223 then go tontown on them
One of his more recent posts memtioned that the coyotes were passing at about 200m from him. At that distance he doesn't need a spotting scope or a wind meter.