Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic7 View Post
Venginator-congrats,thats a very nice goat, did you get that one in Alberta? If so which area?
Thanks. I got the goat in BC actually. I shot it in 2003 and received quite a few rewards for the goat at the time. I'm quite proud of it. This last pic I put up wasn't where we shot it, this was just a pic on the way down the mountain. I got the goat on the top of the mountain and the guy seem to die just as it started to jump off a cliff and it fell about 500ft or more down a rock slide. It was quite a hike to get it out of the slide and get back to camp.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 PM

I have a hunch that this doesn't apply to you and your brother, but it is good to let everyone know. As mentioned by Bdub and Chukarhunter, learn to confidently identify a Billy.

As decreed in the Alberta Mountain Goat management plan, IF a Nanny is harvested that area will be closed for a least one year. We lost the goat hunt in two areas last year.

Taking a Nanny means that hunter will have taken away the opportunity for someone else to enjoy this once in a lifetime hunt.

Congrats to your brother and have a great time.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Congrats! I was nervous checking my draws for Goat/Sheep as I would be so unprepared for them it'd be a hard and expensive hunt. And most likely a grumpy wife.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Congrats and good luck
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venginator View Post
When I tasted my goat on the mountain the night before we descended, it
was the best tasting meat ever. I'm not sure if I was just hungry, or what, but I remember mountain goat tasting quite great.

I had goat meat once, I agree it was pretty good, nothing like what I was expecting!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Wow. What a pig.
Very nice!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM

I also got drawn for a mountain goat this year. I have never hunted in the mountains before but I'm sure ill make the best of this trip
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I have a hunch that this doesn't apply to you and your brother, but it is good to let everyone know. As mentioned by Bdub and Chukarhunter, learn to confidently identify a Billy.

As decreed in the Alberta Mountain Goat management plan, IF a Nanny is harvested that area will be closed for a least one year. We lost the goat hunt in two areas last year.

Taking a Nanny means that hunter will have taken away the opportunity for someone else to enjoy this once in a lifetime hunt.

Congrats to your brother and have a great time.

The two zones that were closed after last year were not closed for harvesting nannies. My sister lucked out and received a "successful" result on her first ever draw application. You have no idea how much that got under my skin!!!!! Still happy and very proud to say she passed on multiple goats well within range because she didn't see "urinary identification". Had to make a second trip back into the hardscrabble to seal the deal on a 8-6/8" billy. The other zone was a successful female hunter too. A billy as well. Not sure on size.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg85 View Post
I also got drawn for a mountain goat this year. I have never hunted in the mountains before but I'm sure ill make the best of this trip
You have never hunted the mountains and you got drawn for a goat tag?
Best of luck to you, your gonna need it!!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg85 View Post
what zone did you get drawn in
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic7 View Post
Thanks everybody! We are going to go in on our own, we have horses and most of the stuff we need. We have hunted in the willmore before and have a few friends that know the area quite well that are sharing their info with us. This is truely a once in a life time hunt and we want to take fulladvantage of it. All your help and info is appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Venginator-congrats,thats a very nice goat, did you get that one in Alberta? If so which area?
Good luck! Bag one.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
The two zones that were closed after last year were not closed for harvesting nannies. My sister lucked out and received a "successful" result on her first ever draw application. You have no idea how much that got under my skin!!!!! Still happy and very proud to say she passed on multiple goats well within range because she didn't see "urinary identification". Had to make a second trip back into the hardscrabble to seal the deal on a 8-6/8" billy. The other zone was a successful female hunter too. A billy as well. Not sure on size.

My apologies CNC, and congrats on your sister's success.

I received some bad information which I'll have to follow up on to get an understanding of why these two areas were closed to Goat hunting this year.

This reminder is still important.

As decreed in the Alberta Mountain Goat management plan, IF a Nanny is harvested that area will be closed for a least one year.

Taking a Nanny means that the hunter will have taken away the opportunity for someone else to enjoy this once in a lifetime hunt.

Best wishes tag holders! Have a great hunt.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
My apologies CNC, and congrats on your sister's success.

I received some bad information which I'll have to follow up on to get an understanding of why these two areas were closed to Goat hunting this year.

This reminder is still important.

As decreed in the Alberta Mountain Goat management plan, IF a Nanny is harvested that area will be closed for a least one year.

Taking a Nanny means that the hunter will have taken away the opportunity for someone else to enjoy this once in a lifetime hunt.

Best wishes tag holders! Have a great hunt.

Its a good idea to just shoot Billies but if it happened and a Nanny was shot and happened to be an old Nanny they should maybe evaluate the closure.
The guys in BC were happy as hell when I shot my Nanny!! They were tired of seeing very young billies comming in and when my 13yr+(so many growth rings it was tough to keep counting but 13yr min.) Nanny was registered they were far happier than when alot of the young billies were registered.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
hey, last year when we went in we saw a girl (looked to be 20ish) and her dad who was a former guide, at the rock lake staging area around september 10th. probably? the same crew? good to hear they were successful...was there any pictures or a thread i missed?