Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Hunting in the Canmore/Kananaskis Area

My wife and I are considering relocating from Ontario to Alberta - Canmore/Kananaskis area preferably. We are both high school teachers in our late 30s and looking for a change.

Hunting is something I have been passionate about since childhood. I know that Alberta has some of the best hunting in the world and that is a significant draw for me.

It may seem slightly uninformed, but how "packed" with hunters is the public land in this area? Are tags for popular species available "over the counter" or as limited draw only?

We would be looking to live in an area with enough population to support schools (thus work for us), but love the "mountain vibe" and want to be close to our recreational pursuits.

I spent a lot of time in Alberta/BC about a decade ago whitewater kayaking on the truly world class rivers of the province. I managed to survive my Class V boating days.

My wife is not a hunter, but (like me) is passionate about cycling, climbing, skiing, kayaking, hiking, etc.

Any feedback offered would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 PM

That area WMU 410 is an archery only zone. It also had a high cost of living too. On the plus if you love the outdoors that area is extremely beautiful and has lots of opportunities to pursue almost any outdoor pursuit that you desire. There are areas not too far away that you cam hint with a rifle though if archery isn't your thing.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Adding to this thread... Are there some available crown land or public use land hunting areas in 410?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM

I have a friend who lives there and we are going to hunt there for part of this season. Apparently there is an archery 3D shoot next Friday and the guy putting it on is a local CO. I heard he will be also providing a short seminar on where you can and can't hunt in that area.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM

My brother just got a place in canmore so I'm also looking into hunting in the area. Finding that it's a nightmare to locate online resources on where hunting is allowable.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Looks of good hunting in WMU 410 (which is the closest to Canmore) and WMU 408 (just south of Canmore). WMU 410 is a bow only zone...no rifle season. WMU 408 has a short bow only season and the balance of the season is rifle (and bow). Lots of tree huggers in these zones. You'll have to drawn in WMU 408 for most species but you can usually draw every other year for most. IMHO these zones are the most beautiful to hunt in, scenary wise. Not too many hunters as it is almost entirely foot access only.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Canmore is great if you have $1,000,000 for a house. Would love to live there myself one day. Might be better off to find a place in the BC interior, would be cheaper and BC has great hunting as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM

408 and 406 are draw only - Kananaskis areas.

I find that if I alternate my draws every year anterless/antlered deer then I draw every year.

I drew for moose this year after 6 or 8 applications.

I have seen a few other hunters while driving in...have not bumped into any hunters in the bush yet though, but have run into hikers and mountain bikers.

I have been photographed by the public while gearing up/returning.

Many of the public think that all of Kananaskis is a Park - so some think I'm poaching.

Many areas are a Park - so you have to be mindful of borders if you are near a Park area.

Ken
Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM

I hunt 410 and 408 a fair bit. Like others have said it is used heavily by hikers, climbers, mountain bikers, etc and most of them don't know the regs so they accuse you of being a poacher and/or accuse you of jeopardizing their safety by hunting in an area that they are recreating in. I steer clear of the popular areas during the weekend for that reason especially if you are successful and they happen to be there when you are carrying out game.

408 and 410 are neat WMU's if you like hunting the mountains all on foot, bike or horse. Despite the occasional uncomfortable experience both WMU's offer a lot of hunting opportunities.

ADH and Sittn Duck - You can get a good WMU map at the provincial building in Canmore for $10. It has recently been updated with the wildlife corridor closure areas and can get complicated with boundaries of the town, provincial parks and the national park. The WMU has some unique regs too so its well worth the money.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM

hey thanks for the info... Might be a little late this season but i will definitely pick up one of those maps and start planning for next year... or maybe even a late season hunt...