Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 AM

Default Back from my first sheep hunt

I just got back from my first sheep hunt and didn't see a single thing, I found lots of tracks and beds but no sheep looked for hours everyday. I went just north of Abraham lake way back in off the creek. I just kind of winged it with my buddy who's a none hunter but wanted to come because my previous buddy backed out last minute. It was an awesome experience but would of loved to see some rams, if any ones goin out anytime soon I'd love to tag along to see how it's done I have all my gear. And anyone else been by Abraham?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Banned

there is sheep around there you just have to get lucky. best advice I can give you is don't spend all your time glassing the rocks. the sheep out there love the timber
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 AM

Sustainable Resources sends a helicopter out to herd them into the Park, the week before the season opens.

Grizz
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce7272 View Post
I just got back from my first sheep hunt and didn't see a single thing, I found lots of tracks and beds but no sheep looked for hours everyday. I went just north of Abraham lake way back in off the creek. I just kind of winged it with my buddy who's a none hunter but wanted to come because my previous buddy backed out last minute. It was an awesome experience but would of loved to see some rams, if any ones goin out anytime soon I'd love to tag along to see how it's done I have all my gear. And anyone else been by Abraham?
Welcome to sheep hunting, I have found the best time to glass for them is inthe morning and in the evening as they may be out feeding. Mid day you will more than likly have to spot them in their beds, although not impossible much more difficult. Then the real hard part is finding a ram that is not "just legal" but that is a real shooter ram with some age on him. Still looking for my first Big Horn, unless your lucky it will likly take several tripsbefore a shot opportunity presents itself. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 AM

It takes time and there is a learning curve
Keep at it and you will learn something new everytime your out
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 AM

I was out that way for opener. Didn't see anything myself, but I probably spend too much time hiking and not enough glassing, which I need to work on. I'm planning a late season hunt, if my new partner bails then ill fire you a message although I'm no sheep expert by any means.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned

Abraham is a tough area to hunt. To many guys over scout it and push the sheep out before season. Then have the Province shows up for opener. The odd guy gets lucky but for the most part the start of the season isn't very successful out there. Got some good pics sent to me from the opening days out there of guys hiking around all over up there skylined. Doesn't take sheep long to figure that out!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Abraham is a tough area to hunt. To many guys over scout it and push the sheep out before season. Then have the Province shows up for opener. The odd guy gets lucky but for the most part the start of the season isn't very successful out there. Got some good pics sent to me from the opening days out there of guys hiking around all over up there skylined. Doesn't take sheep long to figure that out!
If you don't mind me asking, would you say it's the same up onion creek road? I hunted around Abraham for the opener and then took a peek into onion creek. I've never seen so many horse trailers and trucks parked in a back country staging area in my life. I assume the sheep get pushed around pretty quick from there as well?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getasheep View Post
If you don't mind me asking, would you say it's the same up onion creek road? I hunted around Abraham for the opener and then took a peek into onion creek. I've never seen so many horse trailers and trucks parked in a back country staging area in my life. I assume the sheep get pushed around pretty quick from there as well?
busiest place on earth right there
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
It's a zoo...
To many people in there for me
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Went rock climbing along HWY 11 last Saturday. There was 38 pickup trucks and SUV's between the Cline River and Park boundary in all the "sheepy" spots.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 PM

I think I might of been a little to open and possibly a little noisy but probably will try another spot next time and explore some new country.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce7272 View Post
Ive been in there and seen rams around, do too some freakish bad luck and turning down dinkers ive never killed one in there though.

Even though my greatest hunting experience came in that area, the first time I saw a bighorn ram alive on a mountain, there are better spots. I'm not telling you where they're, but the abraham area gets a lot of pressure and I think you'll find its more fun when you're more secluded.

But best of luck! the weight of a ram on your back is the best feeling there is!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk4 View Post
But best of luck! the weight of a ram on your back is the best feeling there is!
X2
Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
You have to remember that from the 3 hummingbird staging sites they access upper ans lower regions of Ranger creek, Lostguide lake, Upper and Lower South Ram, Whiterabbit, Canary Creek, Hummingbird, Onion Lake and North Ram. Plus in the August opener you still have summer riders and such out and about.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
You have to remember that from the 3 hummingbird staging sites they access upper ans lower regions of Ranger creek, Lostguide lake, Upper and Lower South Ram, Whiterabbit, Canary Creek, Hummingbird, Onion Lake and North Ram. Plus in the August opener you still have summer riders and such out and about.
Yeah, we got in there on Friday before the season opened and had a hard time finding a parking spot, but by Sunday, the weekend quadders and horseback riders were gone and just us hunters left. We saw a few out on the trail, spotted a couple on one mountain, but all in all, wasn't too bad. Oh, and I shot a ram too! (not a huge beast, but I'm a happy camper nonetheless!)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother1 View Post
Yeah, we got in there on Friday before the season opened and had a hard time finding a parking spot, but by Sunday, the weekend quadders and horseback riders were gone and just us hunters left. We saw a few out on the trail, spotted a couple on one mountain, but all in all, wasn't too bad. Oh, and I shot a ram too! (not a huge beast, but I'm a happy camper nonetheless!)
uhhhhh we need pics ??
Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 AM

i agree where are the pics
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother1 View Post
cant talk about a ram and not show
just not fair
Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM

After hiking to the top of themountain(7500ft) spotting the rams and climbing back down (vertical shale) then planning our stalk, my camera was in my pack. Then once I glassed them for over an hour before finally deciding to pull the trigger (should've had pics of the rams on the side of the mountain) the camera was still in my pack. Then, once I shot him, made my way back up some more vertical shale (almost crawling up it was so steep), dragged him down the rest of the way, step by step, camera was still in my bag.... I was so excited to start caping him out and get all of the meat off the bones and into our packs, it became dark....pitch dark...and we had everything in our packs before I realized that in my excitement I didn't take any pics! Idiot! So, everyone's going to see pics once Curtis from silver willow is finished with my mount...it's going to be a long wait for me to see him up on my wall!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 PM

Bryce7272, I've hunted some of that area for the opener and some of it later in the season. I know last year guys saw legal rams before the opener and they got pushed into hard to get to areas and went into hiding. We were a couple days later than we had hoped to go and didn't see any rams that trip, only goats. The year before we saw 8 legal rams and got a nice full curl a couple days after the opener. We also didn't see anyone else that trip and I am talking about the same location. I've gone mid September, around thanksgiving other years and saw rams and no other hunters. You wouldn't know it is the same area that has parking lots full for the opener. I wouldn't be discouraged by not seeing rams on your first trip out. Keep exploring some of the areas at different times of the season too. You start to see where there is better sign than other spots and you may also find where the hunters push rams into hiding. Maybe the next trip you will see rams, maybe they aren't legal this year, but you will know where to be looking the next time. I know one area I go to regularly if you sit and look into the right crease in the shale the sheep are almost always there. Learn a place and learn it well. I found where there were lots of beds one trip and started looking there other times and that is where I see the sheep more often than not. I know I have been amazed at how quite the areas are a couple weeks after the openers too. Lots of guys scare off the good rams before the season opens. At some point they are going to return.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 PM

I ran into two fellows that each got a ram on the monday. I myself didn't have any trouble finding the sheep in general but never came across any legal rams.