Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Concrete counter tops

Ill be making some this fall,not sure if ill do cast in place or not, watched a few videos seems pretty easy,anyone with experience with this or any tips you can suggest. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM

I haven't done it, so take it as you will. But I'd be expecting alot of mess if you do cast-in-place. I think to get the polish it takes quite a bit of water.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 AM

If you haven't done it before - I wouldn't cast it in place ..... just in case it doesn't turn out as expected.

Concrete tops can look pretty nice if done right.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 AM

I took some classes in that stuff. They're cheap to make, and easy to make ugly, also easy to make beautiful with a little understanding of the different techniques. If I was going to cast it then install it I'd use lots of plastic reinforcing mesh so it doesn't break (concrete will crack no matter what) and I'd cast it upside down then flip it. You can incorporate some cool stuff casting upside down (shells, rocks, etc.) and it's easy to vibrate it and eliminate air pockets, then polish it and seal it well.

I'd also include a shout out for hard rock developments in Calgary, they have all the stuff you need and rent grinders and polishers. If I went there I might be tempted to really consider their epoxy countertops. No cement involved, much lighter, and easy on the china wear which concrete sure isn't.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Default gfrc

look at gfrc tops. If you are in Edmonton you can buy some supplies from Con Spec. I trained with Fu Tung Cheng and Brandon Gore and can tell you from lots of experience its not easy to produce good looking tops. I would cast upside down on a smooth laminate using a good scc batch design using gfrc's instead of rock and mesh. unless you want the polished aggregate look. Check out Buddy Rhodes product lines as well. Good luck hope it works out
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the tip on Hard Rock Dev.and Buddy Rhodes Ill check them out.
From the videos Ive watched Ill probably go with epoxy over the concrete,no polishing this way.
This for an outdoor kitchen, so a little easier to contain the mess.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

I know someone who did it, they didn't cast in place. It worked out very well! Make sure to seal it, acid degrades CaCO3
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM

For outside use it's a great idea. Epoxy is degraded by UV light though and it will yellow and eventually fail. I'd suggest just a good sealer. Talk to Hard rock about sealers, I'm not sure if they sell in smaller amounts than five gallons though. If you're in Calgary, I'm about to seal my concrete deck and I'll have a bit left, we could work out something...
Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Ya im aware of the uv. Sealer should be available in gallon jugs somewhere Looking at the hard rock site prices seem to be a liittle dear. At least its a place that i can ask questions and get professional answers.
Watching some videos people are able to make the concrete look just like granite
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Made it down to the Hard rock place,one bag of cement$75 one gallon of there additive which gets mixed with there cement $75 at 3/4" thick that coveres 7.2 sq ft.
Trying another place that sells counter top cement.Hopefully a little more reasonable.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 AM

Northland cement here in Calgary sells the right stuff for $29 a bag.I see some mold construction in my future.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 AM

I'm doin seams now,looking for advise.Epoxy i can tint and match pretty good just not sure how well they'll hold up.I will cover over with a sealer so that will protect from uv.There outside so its the movement that im not sure on.Slabs are at biggest 13 sq/ft so there not big.A polyurethane sealant would be best i guess but not sure if i can tint to match.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I'm doin seams now,looking for advise.Epoxy i can tint and match pretty good just not sure how well they'll hold up.I will cover over with a sealer so that will protect from uv.There outside so its the movement that im not sure on.Slabs are at biggest 13 sq/ft so there not big.A polyurethane sealant would be best i guess but not sure if i can tint to match.

Any thoughts?
Looking forward to seeing some of your work Tungsten if you have pics please share sounds interesting.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Make sure you have some friends with strong backs to help you move them into place...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:13 PM

I poured our island in place and it looks great. Could not be happier. Here are some tips

ConSpec in Edmonton has everything you need

Use the snap off Z form

Like all concrete jobs prep is the most important

You can use plywood under but you need to put plastic on it. Much cheaper than cement board

Mix a test batch and let it set to get your color right if you are using die

Vibrate the living heck out of the sides of the forms with a palm sander when you pour to avoid honeycomb

Use the fibre mesh in it.

Order a wet polisher off amazon. They are under 100 and work great. Order lots of diamond pads. Wet polishing is very messy so when you get to this stage tarp, plastic and tape off the whole room, floor to ceiling. Also remember a bit or trowel work saves a pile of sanding.

Dont rush the sanding and do randome patterns. Random is hard for the human brain.

Watch a few youtube videos. An hour on Youtube can save quite a bit of time.Dont be scared to pour in place. Quicker. No carrying. No risk of cracking. Better fit. Only downside is you lose you kitchen for a bit and the sanding is really messy.

Did I mention that prep is everything. Also the guys at Conspec are great.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM

I made molds, surface is nice and flat. No sanding required. Much easier then pour in place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3040.jpg (33.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2975.jpg (45.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3033.jpg (34.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I made molds, surface is nice and flat. No sanding required. Much easier then pour in place
Very nice.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM

I tried some polyurethane caulk on a test seam.From what i read its what i should use considering the movement of the tops being outside.Its suppose to be paint able so will try that once it cures.Felt pens seam to stick so i could color to hide the seams a little.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Check out these guys, I worked for Mario a number of years back. They do great work.

http://concreteinnovations.ca/