Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 AM

What is everyone’s experience boating in high winds? How fast of a wind prevents you from hitting the water? I know it depends largely on what kind of boat you have. I see the weather is calling for gusts upwards of 45km.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 PM

was out at the main pier today. WHAT. A. GONG. SHOW.

It was shoulder to shoulder-ish fishing. Basically 6ft between everybody.

Lots of VERY annoying people out too. Not understanding social distancing at all. Basically all day I had people within 2-3ft behind me talking. I would give them a dirty look and they would just continue yaking away.

The main pier and beach was packed with people, im going to guess mostly from Calgary. Zero distancing happening there as well, especially with the teenagers. Multiple groups of friends hanging out and sun tanning.

There was 2 peace officers patrolling all day, but they werent enforcing any social distancing laws, just looking for liquor really. One did make a comment "it sure doesnt seem like theres a global pandemic going on."

Not sure how the town can continue to let this happen. I can see something coming in the future.

As for fishing, I didnt catch any. I was using a slip bobber with Zip's little jig under it with a piece of minnow. A few fish were caught on p-rigs by other people, all walleye.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlips View Post
What is everyone’s experience boating in high winds? How fast of a wind prevents you from hitting the water? I know it depends largely on what kind of boat you have. I see the weather is calling for gusts upwards of 45km.
When you own a boat you quickly do realize how windy it is in these parts and how suddenly storms can roll in on ya. I've been caught in an 80KM wind on gull before, not pleasant to say the least. You quickly learn to respect the conditions and plan accordingly. I always check the forecast and radar, if there's any white-caps on the lake that's the tipping point for me. I've got a 18.5' bayliner so not small but I've seen to many gong shows when everyone's trying to get off the lake all at once because of storms and or winds picking up. If they forecast a 20-40 wind gusts, I don't bother. That's just me, safe boating!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
When you own a boat you quickly do realize how windy it is in these parts and how suddenly storms can roll in on ya. I've been caught in an 80KM wind on gull before, not pleasant to say the least. You quickly learn to respect the conditions and plan accordingly. I always check the forecast and radar, if there's any white-caps on the lake that's the tipping point for me. I've got a 18.5' bayliner so not small but I've seen to many gong shows when everyone's trying to get off the lake all at once because of storms and or winds picking up. If they forecast a 20-40 wind gusts, I don't bother. That's just me, safe boating!

I agree! I felt I was being a bit too cautious, but better safe than sorry. I thought about how crazy it could be with everyone trying to get off the water at the same time.. yikes! Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 PM

We had a major storm go through Sylvan late this afternoon the wind was close to 80 Km/h and approx. 1 3/4" or 40 mm rain, anyone out on the lake in these conditions would be in trouble, hope everyone made it off safe & sound.

D.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Went out yesterday for about 4 hours. Tried the NW bay by sunbreaker.

Jigged for a bit but only caught one 9” walleye. Started trolling around and managed to catch about 10 17”-19” walleye and for some reason a white! I have no idea what a white was doing trying to eat a crankbait, but we got one!

Kept 4 walleyes and the white. It’s been years since I had walleye so it was a nice treat last night. White is currently in a wet brine for smoking later tonight. Never had it before.