Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 09:00 AM

Exclamation Prince Rupert getting exactly what they wanted, now find out they made a mistake

(some) Residents have been screaming for dock locking, highway blockades, barricades, out-of area visitor fines and boat/vehicle seizures, and now have received exactly what they wanted. No more ferries to/from Alaska. But now they are upset because they no longer have twice weekly cheap reliable transportation to/from Ketchican. They also no longer have 7000 passengers and 4500 vehicles per year spending money in Rupert. It is only 35km by water, but apparently they do not have boats and say they can not afford to fly back and forth.

I do not know if this is a direct result of COVID or just financial loss/political posturing but it will be a huge hit on Rupert.

Alaska cancels Prince Rupert, B.C., ferry service
U.S. officials say they couldn't secure Canadian law enforcement needed to continue service
Estefania Duran · CBC News · Posted: Sep 05, 2019 11:03 AM PT | Last Updated: September 5, 2019

U.S. officials say they were unable to find Canadian staff to protect American personnel doing passport and contraband checks at the Prince Rupert terminal. Passengers and vehicles boarding Alaskan ferries are routinely checked by U.S. customs officials at the Prince Rupert ferry terminal in a 'pre-clearance' system. (Prince Rupert Port Authority)

comments
Starting Oct. 1, residents in Prince Rupert, B.C., will no longer have access to Alaska by ferry, after the state decided to end the service.

The decision comes after U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) put in place a requirement to have Canadian law enforcement at the Prince Rupert terminal to protect American personnel doing passport and contraband checks.

U.S. officials say Canada was not able to meet that requirement.

"This is not a budget issue, this is a staffing issue," said Meadow Bailey with the Alaska Department of Transportation.

Alaska ferry service to pay for armed Mounties at B.C. terminal
To comply with the new requirements, a Canadian officer would be needed once a week during the winter months and twice a week during the summer.

"The Royal Canadian Mounted Police really did not have staffing that they were able to divert from what their normal duty is in the City of Prince Rupert to be able to dedicate entirely to the ferry," said Bailey.

7,000 passengers per year
U.S. transportation officials have received multiple emails and calls from people who are upset with the news, Bailey added.

The route sees about 7,000 passengers and 4,500 vehicles every year.

Service could be restored in the future, Bailey added, but only if the CBP requirement changes or if RCMP officers become available.

In an emailed statement, Prince Rupert Mayor Lee Brian called the situation "unfortunately complex" and said he will travel to Juneau on Sept. 16 to meet with Alaskan officials to discuss potential solutions.

Lee says the Alaskan government has been going through significant budget challenges and has selected routes on the Alaska Marine Highway System, including Prince Rupert, for potential closure

While, he says, the City of Prince Rupert "explored all options" to provide RCMP officers to support American personnel at the Prince Rupert terminal, the money needed to hire them could not be covered by the city or the Alaskan government.

Further complicating the situation, he says, is the need for structural upgrades to the AMHS dock in Prince Rupert. Despite the challenges, Lee says he is still optimistic.

"I don't believe this is the end of the ferry service to Prince Rupert," he said. "I believe this issue can be solved."

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 05-31-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM

Can't say I feel sorry for them. You reap what you sow.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 AM

Good for them.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:24 AM

To be honest, I do feel for them. I do not think the loud ones have any idea of the impact this will have on the community. The quiet people are the ones that will lose, and will lose big. I did not know that you could go to Ketchican that cheap, or I likely would have done it myself once. I still may, as it does not close until October. Or, I will just take my own boat.

I 'think' the BC lines will still be coming in, but they are sure going to miss that yankee money.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-31-2020, 09:39 AM

Can't believe it had anything to do with Covid19 as it said the service was cancelled as of Oct 1 / 2019 way before covid19 was heard of, sounds politically motivated, either way it's going to hurt the city of Prince Rupert and they have not done themselves any favors with their antics this spring either.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:46 AM

The Alaska state ferry issue in Prince Rupert has been gojng on for years. Alaska wants full time border control and the RCMP in Prince Rupert are not able to fulfill that obligation.

That Alaska state ferry from ketchikan is used primarily for Americans travelling from the lower 48 to Alaska. There is not a ton of money being brought in from that ferry service and the vast majority of people who were upset were people in Alaska loosing the service.

If I remember correctly another huge issue is the dock needs to be repaired and because the dock is on American soil technically they have to use American steel and workers and that was too much money.

This has zero to do with covid. Zero to do with people from Rupert wanting them there. Prince Rupert and ketchican have always had a good relationship.

Further to that, if I am not mistaken the Alaskan government reinstated the ferry service to and from Prince Rupert because primarily it helps the Alaskan people to travel.

This is very old news and trying to bring covid into it or telling people from Rupert they got what they deserved is a little confusing. Especially if you don't have any of the facts or more importantly the most updated information. Ie the ferry service is still going.

People from Rupert don't travel to ketchikan hardly at all.

The people transiting to Alaska from lower 48 do not input much or any to the community. They usually show up before the ferry leaves and if they come from Alaska going south, they leave town right away. (no one stops in the first 5 min of their travel)

Your connections between the ferry service and whatever conclusions you make of the people in Prince Rupert are just plain wrong. I don't post here often but get you should get your facts straight or at the very least find the most updated information then make your opinions.

https://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/n...stem-schedule/
Old 05-31-2020, 09:50 AM

staying quiet is a bad tactic

Take a page from the George Flynn demonstrations

Think they wont get results????
Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 AM

You can't suck and blow at the same time!!!

Another problem BC is encountering is the issue of squatters taking over your recreational property and I understand it is a heck of a deal removing them.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Can't say I feel sorry for them. You reap what you sow.
X2 agreed
Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 AM

Technically you can suck and blow at the same time. It's called circular breathing where you can exhale from your mouth (blow) while at the same time inhaling through your nose (suck) many people who play instruments can do this. Off topic but figured Id mention it
Kinda cool actually
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
Technically you can suck and blow at the same time. It's called circular breathing where you can exhale from your mouth (blow) while at the same time inhaling through your nose (suck) many people who play instruments can do this. Off topic but figured Id mention it
Kinda cool actually
Now you went and made me try this.. I need more practice time by the sounds of my wheezing and snorting trying to get the air in or out.. I’ll be practicing this now forever, darn! This is just the same as a song stuck in your head for days on end.. argh!!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Zip;4179119]Now you went and made me try this.. I need more practice time by the sounds of my wheezing and snorting trying to get the air in or out.. I’ll be practicing this now forever, darn! This is just the same as a song stuck in your head for days on end.. argh!!
Zip[/QUOTE

It definitely takes some practice! Its a cool skill to learn
Old 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Now you went and made me try this.. I need more practice time by the sounds of my wheezing and snorting trying to get the air in or out.. I’ll be practicing this now forever, darn! This is just the same as a song stuck in your head for days on end.. argh!!
Zip
It definitely takes practice. A very useless skill but at the same time it's pretty cool. I used to be able to circular breath for 4 or 5 minutes on a Didgeridoo
Old 05-31-2020, 10:56 AM

I want my girlfriend to learn it.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 AM

Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 AM

Arrive in Alaska by air and you no longer have to self isolate, just a covid test, which may be administered at the airport. These guys are looking ahead. I think of those ports like Skagway and Juneu, just up the coast, same as Ketchikan. Their economy is built on Cruise ships, gonna be none till at least next year

Grizz
Old 05-31-2020, 11:15 AM

Madshawn,

I don't see where anyone linked this to Covid..

I've travelled to PR many times, usually spending a few nights and coin.
My time in PR has always been a stop on the way to Ketchikan, taking the ferry. I don't take the ferry because it saves money, as the additional time to travel this way could easily be made up if I just flew straight to Ketchikan.

I travelled this way simply because I enjoyed the journey.
Particularly, the people you can meet on this ferry. Lots of Korean and Vietnam vets, unique people from all over the world that know the journey is what counts...

Without the ferry service, I doubt I will ever step foot in PR again.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-31-2020, 11:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Kinda cool actually
dam reading this and I found myself trying it.....off topic but thanks for the morning exercise....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Madshawn,

I don't see where anyone linked this to Covid..

I've travelled to PR many times, usually spending a few nights and coin.
My time in PR has always been a stop on the way to Ketchikan, taking the ferry. I don't take the ferry because it saves money, as the additional time to travel this way could easily be made up if I just flew straight to Ketchikan.

I travelled this way simply because I enjoyed the journey.
Particularly, the people you can meet on this ferry. Lots of Korean and Vietnam vets, unique people from all over the world that know the journey is what counts...

Without the ferry service, I doubt I will ever step foot in PR again.

I agree fully. Most people taking the ferry wouldn't come to Rupert if the ferry service wasn't there.

As for the covid remark. The original post said "I do not know if this is a direct result of COVID or just financial loss/political posturing but it will be a huge hit on Rupert."

Trying to potentially connect covid and the Alaska state ferry together is off by about 8 months, ignoring the fact that the ferry service was restored.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It definitely takes practice. A very useless skill but at the same time it's pretty cool. I used to be able to circular breath for 4 or 5 minutes on a Didgeridoo
I wonder if that is how Tony Randall used to whistle one tune, and hum another, at the same time. Quite the thing to watch/listen to.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
I want my girlfriend to learn it.
Buy her a clarinet for Christmas !! It’s a good “ wood wind “
Old 05-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Buy her a clarinet for Christmas !! It’s a good “ wood wind “
Hahaha!!! Nice! This has been a pleasent hijacking of a thread if you ask me
Old 06-01-2020, 09:48 AM

I was talking to some guys this weekend in Rupert, some charters have been going full bore for a few weeks already. There is definately a push to shut out sports fishermen, but that is nothing new there. This just gives fuel to the fire, turns out Covid is a great catalyst. I would not be surprised if the Mayor turns his aspirations to a higher venue in the near future, he did just single handedly procure $8,5m for the betterment of the city'.
(Budget released from BC Gov't, he took full credit for that one)

People are still threatening roadblocks and dock locks but it's not happening.

I think the biggest reason for the huge push from special interest group there is that when COVID ends so does all the extra money. Not difficult math.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Anyone gone into Rupert lately and if so to fish or, and how was your experience during these conditions?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Buddy with 2 boats there said he was there for a week. 0 salmon. They are at kitimat apparently. Docks are still off limits

Old 06-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Buddy with 2 boats there said he was there for a week. 0 salmon. They are at kitimat apparently. Docks are still off limits
Hmmm
Old 06-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Hmmm
He said he is going next week again.

He said guys were catching a few springs at kitimat

Late again like last year?