Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Is my Canam done😰😰

Went it camping and having fun with kids until I misjudged the dept of puddle of water sunk in deep water and turned off.

We let it sit upright in on ramp so that water drained from muffler and it did but it never turned on again.

I am sure it happened to people before and I want to know if it is done or there is some hope yet??

Thanks
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 AM

Don’t try and start it anymore, could be hydrolocked. Trying to turn it over may cause more damage. Take it to a service shop if you are not mechanically inclined and pray for the best. Did that once myself and needed to put a new top end in my side by side. Luckily the bottom end looked fine and still no issues to this day. The ol trusty stick measure every time for me now lol.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 AM

Take the spark plug or plugs out and spin the engine with the starter to get any water out. Drain the engine oil and put in fresh with a new filter. Put plugs in and see if it’ll start.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:02 AM

Get the spark plug(s) out and turn over to get water out of cylinders. Get oil in there so they don't rust. Dump crankcase oil, refill and run for a few minutes. Dump oil again and repeat....a few times
Old 05-31-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Canam

Pull the spark plugs, and spin it over to get any water out of the top end. Now stock up on oil, and start doing oil changes. It will take a few changes to get all the oil, but it should be fine. Don’t forget to check the oil in your diff’s once you have it running again.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:04 AM

Stock up on oil for oil changes, mine took quite a few (5 or 6)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
Pull the spark plugs, and spin it over to get any water out of the top end. Now stock up on oil, and start doing oil changes. It will take a few changes to get all the oil, but it should be fine. Don’t forget to check the oil in your diff’s once you have it running again.
Exactly. Keep changing that oil till all the milky oil gets out of it. You ain’t a tru ATV’r until you have a sunk a couple a few times..
Old 05-31-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Get the spark plug(s) out and turn over to get water out of cylinders. Get oil in there so they don't rust. Dump crankcase oil, refill and run for a few minutes. Dump oil again and repeat....a few times
X1000 did this to my quads several times, the quicker you treat it the better, prob gona need several oil changes, remove old oil repeat until you can run the machine and not have a milky color in the oil, gona want to change out filters, and spark plugs
Old 05-31-2020, 10:44 AM

do as the posters above said and youll be fine.

the in-laws rzr went through the ice running. It was on the bottom of the lake for a day before it got out, and they did the above and its put another 6000km on and hasnt skipped a beat.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
Went it camping and having fun with kids until I misjudged the dept of puddle of water sunk in deep water and turned off.

We let it sit upright in on ramp so that water drained from muffler and it did but it never turned on again.

I am sure it happened to people before and I want to know if it is done or there is some hope yet??

Thanks
Yes it’s done. Sell it to me at $0.05 on the dollar. Have 💰.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post

Thanks
No it's not done, do the oil change thing a couple times after you drain everything and it will be fine, I sunk my argo years ago in the rapids on the clearwater river had a bit of a go for a day and after a trip to Rocky Mt. house for more oil and filters it was fine, ran it for another 6 years before I sold it, next time just remember though there is a difference between a quad and a boat

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:55 AM

I didn’t notice anyone mention the air box and belt housing. Open up the air box first before attempting to turn over the engine as well. It could be full of water and you’ll just suck more into the engine.
Make sure the air filter is replaced as the Canam ones have paper cores and it’ll be trashed.
You also have to pull the drain plug on the cvt belt housing to drain it too.
Otherwise, what everyone has already said, and don’t wait!
I’ve swamped several quads many times. I haven’t noticed any life shortening yet.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:21 PM

You will have to change the oul more then a couple times i had to do mine 6 times before the oil looked good.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:08 AM

For flushing crank case use diesel but don't start the motor just crank it over a bit then dump it . And repeat till clean . Once clean put in oil and ready to go.
Done this on my Honda a couple of times works good
Old 06-01-2020, 06:11 AM

All very good advice above. Change that oil many times, check air box for water, drain belt housing, remove spark plugs and spin it over let it dry out.

However it’s unclear in the post wether it won’t turn on (no lights or dash power) or when you say it never turned on again, do you mean you turn the key on and there’s power on dash and lights but won’t spin or start?
Those are two different things and spark plugs and oil changes won’t help that.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
All very good advice above. Change that oil many times, check air box for water, drain belt housing, remove spark plugs and spin it over let it dry out.

However it’s unclear in the post wether it won’t turn on (no lights or dash power) or when you say it never turned on again, do you mean you turn the key on and there’s power on dash and lights but won’t spin or start?
Those are two different things and spark plugs and oil changes won’t help that.
Exactly! we don't know if it is dead electrically, or if it just won't turn over, or if it turns over but won't fire. The water needs to be removed from the crankcase, air box and differentials, but a better description would be useful.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 PM

Guys thanks for the great advices. Right now the machine is sitting in canam dealer and they will look into it and will let us know in this week.

Will update once I hear from the them.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Exactly. Keep changing that oil till all the milky oil gets out of it. You ain’t a tru ATV’r until you have a sunk a couple a few times..
Spoken like a true Northern Alberta boy. I never sunk a quad once until moving to Fort McMurray. I’ve sunk my Honda 6 times now, twice in one day.

I’m good at shutting it off fas to prevent a hydro lock and resulting damage. Being a light quad with big tires for its size I hop off and have semi-floatEd it back out A few times. A couple have been right under though.

Pull plugs, drain air box, drain carb, winch up a tree to get it standing on one end and drain the muffler. Turn over to get the water out the plug holes, or in the case of my Honda the one plug hole. Spray WD-40 in plug holes and keep cranking. Dry plugs off and install. Prime carb and it should go. I carry WD-40 for just such an occasion.

I always change the engine oil when I get back but so far I haven’t found any great amount of water in there. The diffs could get water in them from the vents but again, I haven’t found any.

This is also the reason I wouldn’t own a quad without a pull start. With a sxs I guess that’s something you just learn to live without.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Banned

After you pull the plugs you have to have your buddy look in the cylinder for water while you turn it over....
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
After you pull the plugs you have to have your buddy look in the cylinder for water while you turn it over....
Bahahaha!

I’ll have to remember that one...
Old 06-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Bahahaha!

I’ll have to remember that one...
I had to improvise last summer, I was out with my Ma and my two boys. My oldest son learned a valuable lesson that day.....

I’m not sure if that makes me a bad Dad or just a good son
Old 06-02-2020, 09:42 AM

The rotax motors are great but they don't survive well with water in them. Expect a rebuild
Old 06-02-2020, 09:55 AM

The dealer will only give you one option, put in a new engine, that's my guess anyway.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Spoken like a true Northern Alberta boy. I never sunk a quad once until moving to Fort McMurray. I’ve sunk my Honda 6 times now, twice in one day.

I’m good at shutting it off fas to prevent a hydro lock and resulting damage. Being a light quad with big tires for its size I hop off and have semi-floatEd it back out A few times. A couple have been right under though.

Pull plugs, drain air box, drain carb, winch up a tree to get it standing on one end and drain the muffler. Turn over to get the water out the plug holes, or in the case of my Honda the one plug hole. Spray WD-40 in plug holes and keep cranking. Dry plugs off and install. Prime carb and it should go. I carry WD-40 for just such an occasion.

I always change the engine oil when I get back but so far I haven’t found any great amount of water in there. The diffs could get water in them from the vents but again, I haven’t found any.

This is also the reason I wouldn’t own a quad without a pull start. With a sxs I guess that’s something you just learn to live without.
I sunk my quad numerous times in the hanginstone and horse and numerous muskeg areas up there. In the early eighties and nineties it was doing the same thing with a Honda 200e trike. When I left McMurray and Moved to Edson I was elated that I could drive pretty much anywhere in the bush with my Jeep TJ unlike Fort McMurray bush life... lol