Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Default ATV Band in Alberta

I just heard on the news that as of Wednesday thee is a ATV band on all public land and all parks until further notice.
Excluded is native and private land.
I wonder about traplines, it must be considered private land and there's no need for atv registrations or insurance while on your trapline.
I'll be checking on that tomorrow.

Anybody heard anything about trapline ?
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 PM

RFMA holders and FN are exempted, saw a post from a gent that talked to F&W

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Atv

Thanks Thunder Elk Hunter

It would have been terrible hauling beavers on a bicycle, lol
Old 04-15-2020, 06:36 PM

What is this going to do to bear baiting?

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Is it cuz of Coronavirus?

How’s that gonna help. Can I still drive on public land, cuz I’m on hydroxychloroquine and I’m supposed to be immune.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 AM

Default Atv

It's not because of the virus, it is because of forest fires.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
No it is all about the virus. They want to keep you out of the bush so you don't start a fire and they would have to hire fire fighters to fight it. That is all of it just people control and budget concerns. Your rights and freedoms are unimportant. Pretty hard to give a guy a ticket here for hauling bear bait with his snowmobile! LOL
Old 04-16-2020, 07:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
Combination of both....which sucks but it the new ....new....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
No it is all about the virus. They want to keep you out of the bush so you don't start a fire and they would have to hire fire fighters to fight it. That is all of it just people control and budget concerns. Your rights and freedoms are unimportant. Pretty hard to give a guy a ticket here for hauling bear bait with his snowmobile! LOL
^This
Old 04-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Fire Ban

I totally agree with the ban. I have been part of the industry who has fought fires. You have a tremendous amount of personal, working,eating,sleeping in close quarters. Not only fire fighters,but truckers, cat operators to name a few. As the situation stands today COVID 19 is not under control and could spread as fast as a fire among fire personnel. Remember this is a world wide pandemic and getting trained personal would be challenging. Lastly smoke from a fire creates breathing issues for the most vulnerable.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
I totally agree with the ban. I have been part of the industry who has fought fires. You have a tremendous amount of personal, working,eating,sleeping in close quarters. Not only fire fighters,but truckers, cat operators to name a few. As the situation stands today COVID 19 is not under control and could spread as fast as a fire among fire personnel. Remember this is a world wide pandemic and getting trained personal would be challenging. Lastly smoke from a fire creates breathing issues for the most vulnerable.
If we ban things that cause 1.5% of the fires, why don't we ban other things that put a lot more strain on the system?

It's just like the anti gun crowd, always picking on the low hanging fruit.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 AM

I love riding my quad, I really do and it would make hauling bear bait a lot easier.

But, I agree with the ban. I do not think the ATV itself causes a lot of fires, it comes down to than ancillary events around groups of people on quads and camping in general.

I have spent a lot of years camping on May long weekend with and without fire bans, we’ll before I owned a ATV.

Especially on crown land, no matter if it was a group of people with or without ATV’s, there are fires lit regardless of a fire ban.

My group respects the fire ban when in place, a lot of others do not. When we politely approached those folks that had a fire going all day and most of the night to ask if they were aware of any restrictions, their answer was “we are being careful”.

What this ban will do is reduce the number of people that go out and party it up on crown land. Since they cannot use their highway vehicle or have a fire, they are likely to stay out of the wild places.

Just my experience in the matter.

Guess I better get mapping the shortest route to hoof the bait in.

Take care and stay safe all.

Fitscottn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
At 30 to 40% of population with immunity the pandemic is beaten. How are we going to get there? Right now i Alberta we have had 2000 of 4 million people get it. That is way way less than 1% (.05%!). You want to have the economy shut down for years? A vaccine is at least a year away. The hospitals are empty. This morning 40 people in the hospitals across the province with 10 in ICU. We need to ramp the infection rate up so the hospitals are running at 60% capacity at least or brother get used to how things are right now.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
At 30 to 40% of population with immunity the pandemic is beaten. How are we going to get there? Right now i Alberta we have had 2000 of 4 million people get it. That is way way less than 1% (.05%!). You want to have the economy shut down for years? A vaccine is at least a year away. The hospitals are empty. This morning 40 people in the hospitals across the province with 10 in ICU. We need to ramp the infection rate up so the hospitals are running at 60% capacity at least or brother get used to how things are right now.
It's SARS 2, SARS 1 happened in 2003 and we still don't have a vaccine. Yesterday a lab confirmed the mutation of covid-19. We might never have a vaccine. These protection measure are going too far.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Banned

So, who's going to volunteer to take one for the team and go visit their deathly ill buddy to get the infection rate up?

Anyway, north of Edmonton here, I've been out on the skidoo the last couple of days setting traps to catch beaver under ice. There's still at least two feet of snow in the bush and gullies and it'd be a gong show trying to use a quad. There's no way that there'd be any chance of starting a grass fire but I guess that the gobbermint is looking forward a couple of weeks.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
It's SARS 2, SARS 1 happened in 2003 and we still don't have a vaccine. Yesterday a lab confirmed the mutation of covid-19. We might never have a vaccine. These protection measure are going too far.
nope...they are attempting to get an idea what they are up against....your privilege's are on hold for a bit.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2020, 01:00 PM

I agree with the ban also, my baits are a little bit more than a 1km off the road. My buddies and I will be hiking in our bait this year. We have done all the heavy lifting already. Took in our barrels, stands and other gear in with sleds last weekend. So between the 3 of us, we can load our packs up with oats and other goodies and get some rucking in to help burn off some isolation calories. Gotta look on the bright side of things in times like this.

If it saves one fire from being lit, then it's worth it. I know it sucks, I bought a quad late last year and was looking forward to some family rides, but it's our reality right now.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:25 PM
Banned

Apparently they are changing the province wide ban to regional bans. It makes sense to me considering there's still 2 feet of snow in the bush here just north of Edmonton.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379882
Old 04-17-2020, 11:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Successful troll... many willing bites!

🤪
Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Banned

Hahahah....Maybe you got some Marty but I knew you had more going for yourself that to post what you did....Oh well...the sky is falling....again
Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I agree with the ban also, my baits are a little bit more than a 1km off the road. My buddies and I will be hiking in our bait this year. We have done all the heavy lifting already. Took in our barrels, stands and other gear in with sleds last weekend. So between the 3 of us, we can load our packs up with oats and other goodies and get some rucking in to help burn off some isolation calories. Gotta look on the bright side of things in times like this.

If it saves one fire from being lit, then it's worth it. I know it sucks, I bought a quad late last year and was looking forward to some family rides, but it's our reality right now.
I am (sadly) old enough to remember the days before ATV,s. We used our 4x4s to get back into the bush as far as trails allowed.. Plenty of bears got taken.
I own a quad now,but can hunt without one just fine. In fact it would be nice not to hear all the rippin and roarin for a change.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:49 PM

How they gonna ban lightning strikes or smokers chucking their butts out the window? If the bush is truly dry I stay out. Use common sense people even though that’s not common anymore. And quit throwing your dammed cigarettes out the windows.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:46 PM

Band. Thought was music about ATV's..... Banned probably a better word. LOL Stay safe, Stay healthy, Stay Home.

Ready for flames. Just a joke gotta laugh a little
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BEEDFE71-042D-4190-B40F-0A038CCBD7C0.jpeg (67.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:39 AM

Why are FN exempt? Do they have special non fire starting atv's? What if a fire was started by an atv manned during a traditional hunt. Who puts out the fire? I get that there would not be the numbers out riding around as if it were public, but it still only takes one machine to do the damage?
Sigh......

Tullfan
Old 04-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Banned

Why are they EXEMPT.....cuz they are Justine's chosen..