Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Question At 408K....Update on our X-Trail Issue

So, about ten days ago my little Silver Bus, as we call our 2006 Nissan X-Trail started making rattling noises when my foot was on the gas. At 408K, every strange noise sets me in panic mode. We moved to Pincher Creek last fall but we have been still going to our mechanic west of Nanton for oil changes, etc., so I decided to let him listen to it. He determined that is was very likely the timing chain although it could possibly be the tensioner only. He cautioned me against the potential very high cost of repair as it is a very awkward engine for that particular job, needing about 6 hours or so of labour plus plenty for parts. At such a high mileage, he suggested we may want to think about getting rid of it as is and find something else. Of course, the TIMING on this is very bad and we tapped our savings out last fall due to an unforeseen move. Spare cash is at a minimum. We found, though a friend's recommendation, another mechanic down here who will look at it more closely next week. He warned me that there could have been damage done already, explaining it was a non-interference engine, etc. Told me not to drive it if possible or at least don't rev it up. So we will make our final decision next week when we know more. Another local shop told me the chain kit alone was $700. But I found some online for about $250.00. But still, it could be very costly and may be just throwing good money after bad.

I have been trolling Kijiji now looking at used SUVs for under 3K. Please DO NOT laugh; this is our reality at the moment and there actually seems to be a lot out there. I may be able to get a few hundred or maybe 1000. as is for the Nissan, looking at what others are asking for their vehicles that need a major repair. We had hoped to sell it later after also selling the Hublet's Ford diesel truck and then getting something a bit nicer. He only drives it about half a dozen times a year. Good thing we have it now, haha.

So, who has done a repair like this on a high-mileage vehicle? I was actually hoping to see how far I could get with this one, as it still gets very good gas mileage and just uses a little oil between changes. It will need new winter tires next season and I need a new daytime running light relay but found a cheap source for that. Otherwise, it has been awesome considering it had 286K when I bought it in 2014.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Last edited by molly; 02-21-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Banned

It boils down to this...wait and see what your mechanic says about the extent of the damage.
No brainer to me...spend a couple grand fixing a reliable known entity...or spending three to buy something that may be a pile of crap that someone needs to unload fast.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM

I'd bet you could buy the parts and tools and rent a few of the more expensive tools necessary for the job for less than it would cost to have a mechanic do the work. I'd also bet that you could find lots of youtube videos about how to do the job.

Used vehicles are a crap shoot. you might get something with no problems for quite a while, or you might get something (like my friend's volvo that blew the transmission within 2 weeks of buying it) that has a major repair very quickly after purchase.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I'd bet you could buy the parts and tools and rent a few of the more expensive tools necessary for the job for less than it would cost to have a mechanic do the work. I'd also bet that you could find lots of youtube videos about how to do the job.
Nope, not a chance. Hubby has never done any engine repairs and would not like to start now. Our regular guy is not keen about doing it as it is a PITA due to having to take so much of the engine apart to get at it.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
It boils down to this...wait and see what your mechanic says about the extent of the damage.
No brainer to me...spend a couple grand fixing a reliable known entity...or spending three to buy something that may be a pile of crap that someone needs to unload fast.
How I approach all my vehicles as I too drive them well past 300,000 km's. But there comes a time when the repair out does the value of the vehicle. I was at that point with my 04 Explorer. Needed a rear housing gear set, 1500 ish bucks. Was only worth 2G and I knew I was probably looking at a few more nickel and dime repairs in the near future. Sold her as is for $500 bucks. Was mint inside and rust free but its time had come with 375,000 km's.

If your trusted mechanic don't want to do it as it is a pita job, what will a unknown mechanic charge you(prob more) and will you get a trusted repair. If your guy says no to doing the job, might be worth selling it as is and walk away. If you can twist his arm into the repair, may be worth it if you get a couple more years out of it.

These are the hardest ones to decide, keep throwing coin at a good vehicle or risk buying someone else's junk.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
How I approach all my vehicles as I too drive them well past 300,000 km's. But there comes a time when the repair out does the value of the vehicle. I was at that point with my 04 Explorer. Needed a rear housing gear set, 1500 ish bucks. Was only worth 2G and I knew I was probably looking at a few more nickel and dime repairs in the near future. Sold her as is for $500 bucks. Was mint inside and rust free but its time had come with 375,000 km's.

If your trusted mechanic don't want to do it as it is a pita job, what will a unknown mechanic charge you(prob more) and will you get a trusted repair. If your guy says no to doing the job, might be worth selling it as is and walk away. If you can twist his arm into the repair, may be worth it if you get a couple more years out of it.

These are the hardest ones to decide, keep throwing coin at a good vehicle or risk buying someone else's junk.
The problem that I have is that the amount that molly says they have to spend is small enough that the likelihood of buying another problem is pretty high. It's likely that one could get an engine from a wrecker and have it installed for less.

My experience with buying used cars has been that if you're buying on the cheap side, $3-$5k in repairs being necessary is not uncommon if you're getting a mechanic to do it. The parts might only be a few hundred, but have a 12-24 hour book time to replace. Rear main seals gone really bad come to mind.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
The problem that I have is that the amount that molly says they have to spend is small enough that the likelihood of buying another problem is pretty high. It's likely that one could get an engine from a wrecker and have it installed for less.

My experience with buying used cars has been that if you're buying on the cheap side, $3-$5k in repairs being necessary is not uncommon if you're getting a mechanic to do it. The parts might only be a few hundred, but have a 12-24 hour book time to replace. Rear main seals gone really bad come to mind.
might be a good thought amos. r&r different engine could be the solution, mind you they'd have to do the math first.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 PM

If you have VVT you may want to replace the solenoid first.

If you bought a replacement vehicle, you may want a mechanical inspection done. Inspect your current vehicle and see if the cost of repair makes it better value.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Look up Randy Kuntz Facebook lloydminster. Mechanic doing work at home for $50/hr.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Look up Randy Kuntz Facebook lloydminster. Mechanic doing work at home for $50/hr.
That is an awesome name.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks, but considering I said that I live in Pincher Creek, that would be a bit of a drive! The local guy that was recommended to me by a friend here also charges 50/hr, but he has yet to return my call asking for an appt. I'll wait a bit more but may end up calling another recommended shop that charges over 100.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Unhappy Gonna sell it...

I just had a very good and detailed discussion on the phone with a mechanic here in town. Not the one for whose call I was waiting; guess he lost interest, not to mention any future business from us! This mechanic spent a lot of time explaining things to me in detail, pros and cons and how it all worked. Based on everything I told him, and the mileage, his advice also was to walk away now.

So, I will be posting it for sale on Kijiji and some local Facebook groups. Once we have sold it, we will know what money we have to work with for something else....

Thanks to all who weighed in. As always, I appreciate your feedback.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Thanks, but considering I said that I live in Pincher Creek, that would be a bit of a drive! The local guy that was recommended to me by a friend here also charges 50/hr, but he has yet to return my call asking for an appt. I'll wait a bit more but may end up calling another recommended shop that charges over 100.
I'm sorry I thought you were in this area. My mistake

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 AM

Wink

It all depends on how the rest of the SUV condition is. Most likely that the chain guides and the vvt cam sprocket will need to be changed. Common on Nissan cars. I have done a few and they run like new after.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Sorry to hear, Molly. Best of luck in your hunt for something else.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
It all depends on how the rest of the SUV condition is. Most likely that the chain guides and the vvt cam sprocket will need to be changed. Common on Nissan cars. I have done a few and they run like new after.
I will Pm you with some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Sorry to hear, Molly. Best of luck in your hunt for something else.
Thanks! I don't even know what to ask so I put it at 1650.OBO. Cheapest one in Alberta by 950.00.... and I can always go down.