Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up A good use for technology

Hope they can use technology like ancestry.com to help solve more cold case... or prevent them like google and facebooks algorithms.
Data mining and public information is a powerful tool when use properly , and it’s voluntary .

Quote:
EVERETT, Wash. — A jury convicted a Washington state man Friday in the killings of a young Canadian couple more than three decades ago — a case that was finally solved when investigators turned to powerful genealogy software to build a family tree of the then-unknown suspect.

Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, and her 20-year-old boyfriend, Jay Cook, disappeared in November 1987 after leaving their home near Victoria, British Columbia, for what was supposed to be an overnight trip to Seattle. Their bodies were found in separate locations in northwestern Washington state about a week later.

Investigators preserved DNA evidence that was recovered from Van Cuylenborg's body and pants, but they didn't know whose it was until last year. Authorities used genetic genealogy to identify the suspect as William Earl Talbott II, a construction worker and truck driver who was 24 at the time of the killings and lived near where Cook's body was discovered.

Last edited by fishtank; 06-28-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:44 PM

Uses such as this are fantastic, but I shudder at what the counterpoints will be (denial of medical insurance coverage for disease X or disease Q for instance).

The way they can zone in on suspects by way of their relatives who submitted to the genealogy websites is neat. I doubt many killers would be submitting their own DNA merely to satisfy their curiosity about what percent Irish they might be.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

The way they can zone in on suspects by way of their relatives who submitted to the genealogy websites is neat. I doubt many killers would be submitting their own DNA merely to satisfy their curiosity about what percent Irish they might be.
this is the whats great about it . these site gathers the data from willing participant, then use that info and data to mapping everything out on a spiderswebs and use like the 6 degree of seperation to connect everything.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Privacy issues????? My DNA is nobody's business but my own.

Grizz